2018 Rut Report

Canis Latrans

Yesterday, 1c, saw 2.5 yr old buck following doe. Buck made scrape and showed interest in grunt call, but not enough to come in to challenge. I would not call that chasing, but certainly buck was more interested in the doe than in cheching out what/who grunted.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

4U Pulled cams  activity picked up mightily. 10/31 @ 6:04PM Saw a 5 pointer chasing after doe on driveway of my property. Then about 3 hours later he was about 130 acres away on the OPPOSITE side of the property below the ridge that acts as the eastern property line. The previous evening, up  on top of that same ridge ridge a 7 pointer the next day was spotted at about 10:56PM, although he did not exhibit any rutting activity. Heavy nighttime doe activity, they seem to not come out during the day as much. 

Saw a suburb Buck at a licking branch around 10:30ish am about 10 feet from the road 11/5.  Saw a big buck 11/2 in the afternoon.  No pressure around here though (city of Tonawanda).  He was taking his time walking around.  I came back down the same road around 1pm and there was a very tired looking buck (smaller) with a busted rack bedded down.  I think he got a little beat up.  My view: The bucks are ready, but no pressure (suburbs) has them feeling comfortable to check branches, rubs, beds, etc during the day.  Where the 'woods' bucks are only coming out when they feel safe, which is primarily night.  I think next week they won't be able to resist and will have to start coming out during daylight hours.  Is this a correct assumption?

20181105_132738[1].jpg

20181105_113101[1].jpg

20181103_164832[1].jpg

50 minutes ago, 46rkl said:

There are many nice suburban bucks in these no hunting towns. And they trash all the nice expensive suburban landscaping. He,He. 

And then they friggin complain in town meetings about the nuisance, and then some sane level headed individual suggests opening up to limited bow hunting in certain areas, and then they FREAK OUT and on and on it goes...

Edited by CapDistPatriot
Added content

Saturday.. Large buck in a field about 1030 AM with his eye on a doe. He didn't move, didn't notice me or anything. Did not look like chasing or in heat but serious interest.  Nothing on trail cams at night or day for that matter.  Nothing moving. I am assuming its lockdown time in 7J right now. 

3M- 2 guys I know both got nice deer this week, a nice 9, and a good size busted up 8.  Yesterday, I finally saw legit chasing from the stand right at 4pm.  Spike chasing a doe, full on sprint, back and forth, from one end, to the other, big circles, etc.  He did stop at 10 uards, his mouth was open, tongue hanging out all fired up.  That morning, I saw a very big buck way out probably 80 yards id guesstimate, but he was simply walking slow, and steady.   This stand had a lot more action than this last year, a week earlier.  Seems like things are a week, or so behind from last year, on this property.  

Oh, and I commute to 3K on my way home, and the drive home was active with deer being careless, jetting across roads, a few new road kills is uncommon spots, etc.

Hope that helps someone in 3M and 3K

4J and 4S.

11/11/19

Seeking

I have observed several spikes walking around at all hours of the day seeking. Some scrapes are still active as well.  

11/12/19
Multiple bucks seen seeking and one seen tending a doe. Scrapes still active and a large print in one suggests it is not just the spikes hitting them. We will see if the rains prompt refreshing of the scrapes.