Almost bushwacked by a big coyote

wolc123

I did not see any deer or bear over the last three days of hunting, up on the NW corner of the Adirondack park, but I did have a few interesting wildlife encounters.   The coolest one was yesterday morning.  I was walking up an old overgrown trail, that went up the north end of a mountain ridge, just after sunrise.   I had showered with scent-free soap the night before, and used scent-free deoderant.   I had also treated the heels of my rubber boots with "Evercalm", when I got to the trail, and I was wearing a Walmart "Scent-factor" jacket.  The wind was blowing at my back, and I was walking steadily up that trail.   My plan that morning was to still-hunt into the wind, after I got to the swamp on the other side of the ridge.  

When I was almost to the highest point of the trail, I heard a something approaching from behind.  When I turned and looked, I thought it was a deer at first glance.  It was about 30 yards away, and closing fast, when I shouldered my 50 cal ML.  Something about that shiny stainless-steel barrel, made it change course and head for the top of ridge, just as fast as it could run.  The long bushy tail indicated that it was no deer, but it looked to be almost the size of a 1-1/2 year doe.   It was only 20 yards away when it turned.   I was not able to get off a shot because there were too many trees and bushes in the way.  I was also a bit hesitant, because I was mainly after deer and I was not certain that coyote season was open (I see now that it did open on October 1).   I may have fired, had I found an opening and got the crosshairs on it, while still in range.   Them things are a lot more evasive than deer, with faster acceleration, and better manuverability.  Even so, it would have been a "chip-shot" at the turn, with a shogun loaded with number fours.                     

In years past, I have seen quite a few deer on that trail I was on.    I am pretty sure that the "Evercalm" fooled that coyote into thinking it was following a deer up the hill.  It took a "shortcut", which put it on a collision course with me.   Last year, I had my fewest deer sightings over the last six years,  with just three (all antlerless) in 8 days of hunting up there.  Now I think I know where those "missing" deer may have gone.  Nearly being on the receiving end of a coyote hit, makes me wonder how a deer can survive up there.   It also explains why all of the deer sign I have noticed, over the last two years, has been in the swamps.   NY needs a year-round coyote season real bad.   I would recommend that hikers up there wear some strong perfumed deoderant and/or carry a gun.  

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

NY needs a year-round coyote season real bad.   I would recommend that hikers up there wear some strong perfumed deoderant and/or carry a gun.  

Lol..  There definitely are a lot of coyote in the northern zone. If you get into the hills and out of farm country and cover any ground during  late season with snow on the ground you will cross more coyote tracks than deer by far.

Lavender is my perfume of choice.. ;  )

Edited by ncountry
Detail
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I did not see any deer or bear over the last three days of hunting, up on the NW corner of the Adirondack park, but I did have a few interesting wildlife encounters.   The coolest one was yesterday morning.  I was walking up an old overgrown trail, that went up the north end of a mountain ridge, just after sunrise.   I had showered with scent-free soap the night before, and used scent-free deoderant.   I had also treated the heels of my rubber boots with "Evercalm", when I got to the trail, and I was wearing a Walmart "Scent-factor" jacket.  The wind was blowing at my back, and I was walking steadily up that trail.   My plan that morning was to still-hunt into the wind, after I got to the swamp on the other side of the ridge.  

When I was almost to the highest point of the trail, I heard a something approaching from behind.  When I turned and looked, I thought it was a deer at first glance.  It was about 30 yards away, and closing fast, when I shouldered my 50 cal ML.  Something about that shiny stainless-steel barrel, made it change course and head for the top of ridge, just as fast as it could run.  The long bushy tail indicated that it was no deer, but it looked to be almost the size of a 1-1/2 year doe.   It was only 20 yards away when it turned.   I was not able to get off a shot because there were too many trees and bushes in the way.  I was also a bit hesitant, because I was mainly after deer and I was not certain that coyote season was open (I see now that it did open on October 1).   I may have fired, had I found an opening and got the crosshairs on it, while still in range.   Them things are a lot more evasive than deer, with faster acceleration, and better manuverability.  Even so, it would have been a "chip-shot" at the turn, with a shogun loaded with number fours.                     

In years past, I have seen quite a few deer on that trail I was on.    I am pretty sure that the "Evercalm" fooled that coyote into thinking it was following a deer up the hill.  It took a "shortcut", which put it on a collision course with me.   Last year, I had my fewest deer sightings over the last six years,  with just three (all antlerless) in 8 days of hunting up there.  Now I think I know where those "missing" deer may have gone.  Nearly being on the receiving end of a coyote hit, makes me wonder how a deer can survive up there.   It also explains why all of the deer sign I have noticed, over the last two years, has been in the swamps.   NY needs a year-round coyote season real bad.   I would recommend that hikers up there wear some strong perfumed deoderant and/or carry a gun.  

You got my itching to get up there and try my luck in the big woods  with that story wolf. 

Most guys , me included couldn’t kill a coyote when targeting them so where / how would a year round season help ? I’ve had 4/5 guaranteed kills had I wanted during spring turkey season over many years but it never crossed my mind   They’re so dang smart that even if a thousand dollar bounty per head was offered a dent wouldn’t be made. They’re not the end of the world nor drastically reducing deer population   Highly doubt attacking humans either. But I’ll still wear patchouli oil while hiking. He he 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

You got my itching to get up there and try my luck in the big woods  with that story wolf. 

I always read those "this happened to me" in Outdoor life, and it was neat to actually experience something like that.   If I am able to tag-out on my buck in the Southern zone, prior to our Thanksgiving trip up there, I will bring my 16 gauge J-Stevens side by side shotgun and run a slug in the modified barrel on the right and a # 2 in the full-choke on the left.  That way I will be all set for yotes or bear.  I have "patterned" it with foster slugs.  It does pretty good with the bead, out to about 50 yards, hitting a pie plate almost every time from each barrel.   

I also saw a ton of grouse up there on this trip, so I will bring along some # 7-1/2's also.  A few years ago, I "center-punched" one of those with my 30/06.   Big mistake that was, but I did cook up the biggest piece on a stick over the campfire, which included about half a breast and a leg.  I thought the bullet would bore a .30 dia hole straight thru, leaving most of the meat intact.  I knew I made a mistake when I saw the feathers fly during the explosion thru the 3-9 scope.   Oh well, at least I did not need to gut it, or pluck out many feathers.    

Coyotes are definitely on the upswing up there.  This camp is not far from Ft Drum, and I hear that is really infested with them.   I saw another one from the truck, about a mile from camp on Thanksgiving last year.     

• Like 1

We live in the middle of a village in cattaraugus county. Yesterday at 1130ish I look out back and there's a big coyote standing there. There getting braver. Crazy to have them that close especially when there's young children around and it wasn't even scared that the neighbor was outside.

10 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Most guys , me included couldn’t kill a coyote when targeting them so where / how would a year round season help ? I’ve had 4/5 guaranteed kills had I wanted during spring turkey season over many years but it never crossed my mind   They’re so dang smart that even if a thousand dollar bounty per head was offered a dent wouldn’t be made. They’re not the end of the world nor drastically reducing deer population   Highly doubt attacking humans either. But I’ll still wear patchouli oil while hiking. He he 

The biggest help, with a year round season, would be that it would allow targeting of the pups.  They are not born "wiley" and those pups are easily taken.    After the hay is cut, they make easy targets for a guy with a semi-auto .22 rimfire. 

6 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I know some locals who might quit their jobs at a $ 1000  bounty .Lol..  

I sometimes wonder if they don't have a bigger impact than we think. I know of some local areas that have very little to no hunters. 1000s of acres of farm land and not hardly a deer to be found.. There should be herds of deer seen in these fields, especialy at night..  it's been like this for 30 years..

It never makes any sense to me. Something is keeping the deer population down?

28 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

That is a great point about the spring turkey hunters.   If there was year-round season, you fellas could put a real hurting on in May.  Turkey loads would be perfect for coyotes.

17 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

You shot a grouse with a 30-06 ?! That’s as great an idea as corn holing yiur BB with your shotgun you did.  Shrugs at your wonderful ideas once again. WWJD definitely not 

That was an Adirondack 6-point, which is worth more to me than a big flatland "booner".  Did you mean "Big-Buck", or "Button-Buck" when you said "BB" ?   The last Button buck I shot was in 2012.   I am way overdue for sure.  I would love to get one with my crossbow this year.   It don't look too good for me, if I extrapolate from what I have been getting with it so far though: 1-1/2 year old 6-point in 2014, 2-1/2  year old busted up 8-point in 2016, 3-1/2 year old busted up 6-point in 2017.    

It sounds like you are either drunk or frustrated.  Relax, it will get better.  Just take your time and think before you hit  "submit"  

4 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

That is a great point about the spring turkey hunters.   If there was year-round season, you fellas could put a real hurting on in May.  Turkey loads would be perfect for coyotes.

That was an Adirondack 6-point, which is worth more to me than a big flatland "booner".  Did you mean "Big-Buck", or "Button-Buck" when you said "BB" ?   The last Button buck I shot was in 2012.   I am way overdue for sure.  I would love to get one with my crossbow this year.   It don't look too good for me, if I extrapolate from what I have been getting with it so far though: 1-1/2 year old 6-point in 2014, 2-1/2  year old busted up 8-point in 2016, 3-1/2 year old busted up 6-point in 2017.    

It sounds like you are either drunk or frustrated.  Relax, it will get better.  Just take your time and think before you hit  "submit"  

Not frustrated and unless I caught a buzz on 2% milk with homemade coffee brownies not drunk either. 

For your rants about button bucks aka bb’s being the best eating all the time I call bs on 2012 being your last  And can’t get much better but thanks for your concern   3,2,1 submit 

48 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

TF, I find it easy every year to kill them during deer season, had two at under 30 yards the other afternoon . My buddy runs them with dogs, kills stacks of them ,year round would be great , I have little interest in hunting them in the cold after deer season ,summer would be fun .

28 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Not frustrated and unless I caught a buzz on 2% milk with homemade coffee brownies not drunk either. 

For your rants about button bucks aka bb’s being the best eating all the time I call bs on 2012 being your last  And can’t get much better but thanks for your concern   3,2,1 submit 

Well I did finish off a hit-and-run road kill button in 2014 and I transferred a tag, that a buddy killed one on in 2016, (keeping only one backstrap himself), so I we have been blessed with one every other year anyhow.    That makes me feel a little better.  2018 should be the year for another of the tasty "fatted calfs".

Edited by wolc123

I have a friend by cowelsville that gets at least 2 coyotes during deer season from his stand each year.  This year I started seeing alot on my cams trailing behind groups of deer and we are hearing them at night now also.  Everytime I go in the woods now I take a 12g or rifle incase I see them,they will eventually get out of control if allowed to. Nobody shot them when we lived in Phoenix and one day I ran outside to find one trying to kill my dog,gotta kill them when the opportunity presents itself.

• Like 1

I have a friend by cowelsville that gets at least 2 coyotes during deer season from his stand each year.  This year I started seeing alot on my cams trailing behind groups of deer and we are hearing them at night now also.  Everytime I go in the woods now I take a 12g or rifle incase I see them,they will eventually get out of control if allowed to. Nobody shot them when we lived in Phoenix and one day I ran outside to find one trying to kill my dog,gotta kill them when the opportunity presents itself.

You got that right. And spring turkey and late fall are a couple of the sweetest times to put a good dent in the local Vermin. Well so I am told anyways..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

You got that right. And spring turkey and late fall are a couple of the sweetest times to put a good dent in the local Vermin. Well so I am told anyways..

I'm going out sat for Turkey but if I see a coyote its dead,same goes when I'm out for deer.

Hahaha fear mongering now?
I've had the same experience and believe me, a coyote will not run aimlessly through the woods expending energy for any reason other than pressure from other hunters. Maybe that's the real culprit of your deer woes!
Now shooting pups with .22lr is the answer? Are you trying to give the animal rights activists more ground to stand on?
You were unsure if coyote season was open, but "you may have taken a shot if one was pesented"??? Outstanding ethics!
C'mon guy, do you really think the DEC cares about the deer population? With a 3-4 month long season and them handing tags out like candy, I think not.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hahaha fear mongering now?
I've had the same experience and believe me, a coyote will not run aimlessly through the woods expending energy for any reason other than pressure from other hunters. Maybe that's the real culprit of your deer woes!
Now shooting pups with .22lr is the answer? Are you trying to give the animal rights activists more ground to stand on?
You were unsure if coyote season was open, but "you may have taken a shot if one was pesented"??? Outstanding ethics!
C'mon guy, do you really think the DEC cares about the deer population? With a 3-4 month long season and them handing tags out like candy, I think not.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Nope. They could care less. But I do and until they start paying my taxes for the Vermin damage to my property they will be disposed of at every opportunity. They most likely could care less about someone wiping out the Vermin either unless there is a ticket opportunity available at the time and they are stretched so thin most, In this area anyways, are worried about seeing to many tickets written.

• Like 1

You shot a grouse with a 30-06 ?! That’s as great an idea as corn holing yiur BB with your shotgun you did.  Shrugs at your wonderful ideas once again. WWJD definitely not 

Someone special told him it wouldn’t ruin too much meat... either that or he’s eaten a lot of lead In his life and it’s starting to get to him

• Like 1

I went across an open freshly planted dirt field last spring trying to get on roosted birds, running a few minutes later than i had planned. I could just start to make colors out as the day woke.. I looked to my left and saw what i thought was a deer approaching me quick, glanced to my right and saw 2 more, approaching me quick.. Still thinking they were deer for some reason that just hadnt noticed me yet.. They got to less than twenty yards and bolted.. as they ran spooked i could then tell that they were in fact not deer lol. Scare me? not at all, kinda of thought it was cool actually. 

It would be fun to hunt them in shorts and tshirts.. but its just as much fun doing it after during and deer season as well. I have a good number of song dogs at my camp. We have taken 1 so far this year already.. 

I also kind of chuckled at the thought of being "hunted" by a lone yote.

Had plenty of chances in deer season only ever decided to drop a big really pretty one once...they smell bad prolly won't do it again.

My only coyote concern is when I arrow a deer in the pm...I'll never let one go overnight again after I lost a stud 6's entire head and hindquarters to a pack of wild dogs in 2010

We are thick with yotes here...we are also thick with deer, lots of farms lots of animals.

Edited by OtiscoPaul
  • Like 1