Climbing stand do's and don'ts

JRod 8G8H

Just purchased a climber for the first time to access an area of our property that I've been meaning to place a stand.  Well I'm not going to put in a new stand mid October so I figured I'd sneak in and climb up.  Like many of you I stick to ladders for safety reasons.  My days of climbing up spikes to hang ons are coming to an end.... Any advice or pointers to using a climber, like getting your gear and bow up, etc... Thanks

1) Climb with a harness attached to the tree and move it up as you go.

2) Make sure you you have the lower half connected to the upper half with either a rope or a strap.

3) When you first hook it up to the tree get it as tight as possible and still be able to climb.

4) Don't make your first trip 10-15 ft. Go up 4 or 5' at and back down two or three times to get the hang of it.

5) As far as getting gear tie a rope(s)/paracord or whatever to what you want to bring up and attach it to the climber.

I usually tie to the upper half. Place it away from the stand in the event of a fall so you do not land on it.

6) Once you are secure at the height you want then pull your bow etc. up

They can take awhile to get use to but once you get the hang of it they are a piece of cake.

Good Luck and Happy hunting:imsohappy:

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

When you start out at the base of the tree ,the lower portion is usually at an uncomfortable angle until the tree narrows down.

Yep, takes a bit of experience to set that angle right at the outset and different trees require different angles.

Steve covered it well.  Be sure to attach the two sections.  You don't want to be stuck in the tree with the base at the bottom.

• Like 2

good advice already given. here's some more. don't climb anything with loose or very hard bark, like shag bark hickory.

cam buckle straps to hold the upper and lower sections together when packing the stand into a location, keeping the top section in place when you're standing, and to hold your quiver or pack to a convenient location on the tree behind you.

it helps to have a very slight backward lean to the tree. with the stand level it'll feel like you have more room on the platform.  a prussic knot and rope style tree strap will save you time when climbing. i prefer it with any stand setup anyway.

...top section drawn down to bottom section is worth repeating that someone might not think about. that is until you stand up and ready your bow for a big buck coming in, only to bump the top section with your legs and have it crash down on the platform under it.

Edited by dbHunterNY
  • Like 1

Others have alluded to bark selection...

I like mockernut and pignut hickory trees when available they have a diamond pattern bark that teeth of a climber bite right in.

Different bark sticks to different fabrics which can sound like peeling Velcro when you lean away from the tree trunk...not fun on a quiet day.

IMG_5683.PNG

Edited by OtiscoPaul
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, nodeerhere said:

Oh! Here's a big one! Don't leave it in the woods if u have any worries about it getting stolen! It will grow legs! (Scumbags) 

what kind did u end up getting? 

This is all great advice... Can't wait for the weekend.. Got a summit viper. My friend paid less for another brand and the thing is so damn heavy...

The climber stays on based on tension.  As you stand further out on the edge, more tension is applied to the teeth that bites into the tree.  When you turn around to tie your safety harness, the natural tendency is to step closer to the tree to get the straps around it.  Make sure you keep that tension by standing further away from the tree.

• Like 3

Ive said it dozens of times but the thirdhand stabilizer straps are the best $20 youll spend for your climber. They keep the sections tethered as you climb and lock that sucker in when youre at height. Id also avoid red oaks, nothing bites into them

https://www.amazon.com/Third-Hand-Climbing-Stands-Stabilizer/dp/B00VR18IVY

I also have the Viper, its a great stand

Edited by The_Real_TCIII
  • Like 2

This thing is invaluable, I figured out a way to attach it to the stand while I carry it in then I leave it at the base of the tree while hunting. https://www.amazon.com/Sherpa-Game-Cart-Summit-Classic/dp/B015EMLAIO

these too. instead of hauling a backpack you can throw items in there. front bag is nice too

https://www.amazon.com/Summit-Treestands-Deluxe-Side-Bags/dp/B01N6X2EUP/ref=sr_1_6?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1539631311&sr=1-6&keywords=summit+tree+stand+accessories&dpID=41-A0wLsT-L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I also found that when carrying it in the woods like a backpack, I turn it upside down so the teeth that grab the tree are up above my shoulders. Too many times did I take a funky step and get “bit” by the teeth- now the cables are down- the teeth also make a nice place for my pack and jacket when walking in. I use an old golf bag strap as shoulder straps- helps with long jumps in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I also found that when carrying it in the woods like a backpack, I turn it upside down so the teeth that grab the tree are up above my shoulders. Too many times did I take a funky step and get “bit” by the teeth- now the cables are down- the teeth also make a nice place for my pack and jacket when walking in. I use an old golf bag strap as shoulder straps- helps with long jumps in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This would be a great idea for long treks

https://www.amazon.com/Innova-Disc-Golf-Straps-Colors/dp/B00IDVCULK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1539640034&sr=8-5&keywords=izzo+golf+bag+strap

One other thing I do as a added security once I am in at my desired height is use a ratchet strap to strap the top section to the tree and cinch it pretty tight. Keeps you secure and will also almost eliminate any unwanted or unexpected speaks or noises.

Make sure that when your bow is tied off to your haul line that the slack cord laying on the ground doesn't get hung up on some PIA underbrush/brambles etc.  OR.....your quiver gets caught on something while getting yanked up and BAM, it becomes detached from your bow.  

Tons of suck-age occurs when you have to climb back down, straighten out your gear then climb back up!!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Steve D said:

One other thing I do as a added security once I am in at my desired height is use a ratchet strap to strap the top section to the tree and cinch it pretty tight. Keeps you secure and will also almost eliminate any unwanted or unexpected speaks or noises.

The thirdhand straps serve that purpose too, they are the ant's pants

3 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

OR.....your quiver gets caught on something while getting yanked up and BAM, it becomes detached from your bow.  

Been there and done that. That's why now I zip tie my quiver right to the bracket. Mine has fallen off  more than once and I found that to be a good fix so when I want to remove the quiver it just takes a quick cut.

I cant imagine how the world would survive without duck tape or zip ties:yes:

One more (sorry for all the single posts, I'm tired) thing for now........

Before you hit the woods, make sure (DAMN SURE) you practice with it in a local woodlot, with permission of course. 

Take a friend with you in case you have a hitch.  Also, climb up just 5-7 feet high and get yourself seated.  Now go ahead and deliberately make the bottom half of the stand disengage from the tree and fall to the end of the connected line.  That will show you what and how it can happen and the sequences to get the base re-configured.  

Good luck and be safe!!

• Like 3