Midday Hunting

OtiscoPaul

Hey guys I'm bored and can't hunt thanks to dad duty...the wife just left for London til Friday so that effort is now pretty much 24/7...

Excepting the time between I drop my son and daughter off at school on Tues and Thursdays when she goes to preschool.

So not only this week but especially this week I've got this 9:30-2:30 window.

I'm gonna take the quietkat/lonewolf up on the Otisco Valley West Ridge tomorrow and get in deep but still sandwiched between some good ag.

I have never had a lot of midday success (a few lucky ground gun deer) even on all day hunts, let alone walking in then...certainly not much a bow stalker either.

Anybody had a lot of midday walk-in or ride-in success?  

Any techniques or deer behavior I may not be thinking about using to my advantage?

IMG_5678.PNG

Edited by OtiscoPaul

2 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Outside of the rut, mid-day isn't generally great for us although we have one property that there is a still a reasonable chance for a doe.   High pop ups the odds.

Killed one of my bucks last year at 2:00. I forgot how many bucks I saw between 10-2 that day, but it was a lot. Obviously rut.

Only time I'd probably consider a midday outside of the rut is either early with a water source for drinking or late season food source where they need the calories.

• Thanks 1

I have had a bit of success mid day. If you can sst up close to bedding, or between 2 bedding areas even better.  Deer get up and move mid day just not ussually out into open fields.

An area I hunt is full of bushes just outside of pines and the deer almost always come out and browse on the bushes. I only hunt there during mid day because of all the activity at that time.

Last year killed a doe there around 1230

20171124_133040.jpg

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, OtiscoPaul said:

I know this seems obvious but what steps do you take to get close to bedding without getting busted.

Quite entry from downwind and set up downwind.   Quiet and scent would be my primary concerns.   Knowing where they travel helps. 

• Thanks 1

I've been seeing some movement on my cams around 1-2 pm. Whereas I may not expect deer out in the open mid day deer do not lay in one spot for 8 hours straight. Each property is different. I'd ease into it and try less obtrusive first and see what you see. With the leaf cover right now distance scouting is limited. 

Edited by Fletch
  • Thanks 1

I'm seeing some midday moving now and usually once Nov hits there is alot,I got my biggest doe last year during muzzloader around 2pm.  Mid day I have luck just walking the woods finding them,I have not gotten one from a stand or blind at those times.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fletch said:

I've been seeing some movement on my cams around 1-2 pm. Whereas I may not expect deer out in the open mid day deer do not lay in one spot for 8 hours straight. Each property is different. I'd ease into it and try less obtrusive first and see what you see. With the leaf cover right now distance scouting is limited. 

You are right I'm skipping the deep climber action and going fur a thick and quick access with the right wind.

I have modest expectations but I'm pumped none the less (more so now that the wife is settled in England).

Thanks for all the pointers folks.

IMG_5693.PNG

IMG_5694.PNG

Edited by OtiscoPaul
  • Like 1

Heading to a trusted stand tomorrow that's key feature is the small but roaring drainage ravine that I call the stairs...I climb them pretty much right to my stand.

Temps look good here's to hoping!

IMG_5754.PNG

Pooring hard with some wet snow now...first flakes of the year here!

Edited by OtiscoPaul

Well guys I did it again so you didn't have to.

Zilch, not even a squirrel in 2 sits 6+ hours midday peak and trough.

Was a glorious day in relation to parenting duties which resume imminently (wife gets back stateside tomorrow afternoon woohoo). 

Edited by OtiscoPaul