How would you hunt this SWAMP

TheMiz54

Interested to hear how people would hunt this spot? I am thinking about setting up on the point next to the transition zone as there are trails just below going in every direction. One issue is the wind is usually coming from the North West blowing into the bedding area. I would have to hunt it when its a West or South West wind

I also could get a little more aggressive and move down into the swamp and set up in one of the small tree islands. There is an island further south that I think is great bedding for a large buck.

Let me know your thoughts.

image.thumb.png.d2bf28bbec947f5472b85a134cb39579.png

look for a small high and dry spot downwind of larger bedding that's adjacent to a trail. even the least used secondary trails are easy to spot in a swamp. stay down wind of that and pick point coming from that location that exits/enters the swamp that makes sense. won't see as much activity but a buck might use it to hunker down and keep tabs on doe when he's there.  swamps are great in highly pressured areas.  what time or part of the season will vary but in the next few weeks they won't be just laying around much at all.

also find treeline edges that skirt the downwind side of the whole swamp. where it could be a travel corridor to another patch of cover or destination. bucks will use that to scent check to the whole swamp while on the move.

hard to tell topo as you mention points. be careful of thermals and swirling winds. swamps are often hard to hunt for wind and get in and out quietly to stand hunt.

I spent a lot of time hunting swamps, mostly from a canoe wearing hip-waders. It's a tough choice of habitat to hunt for sure but the bigger deer seem to get there. A buck that lives in a swamp is not an ordinary buck. He's somehow "learned" a few things. I don't ascribe any sort of human intelligence to deer, but man they come close once in a while. Don't try to fool him in any way, scents or sounds or anything like that. Just set up along his path to finding a doe. The best days I've had in swamps are ones with a strong and steady wind blowing from one direction, which allows you to not worry about "the wind". Also, bring dry clothing in a dry-bag, because no matter what happens chances are you will get wet. Just my coupla pennies here. Best of luck to you!.

• Like 3

Just thought of one more thing: When the swamp first freezes over with a 1/4" to 1/2" skim of ice, that buck will not go near it and will become land-bound for a while. They don't like that shin-barking ice any more than we do. Think about what he's gonna do without his swamp security and look at the surrounding area.

topo map would be most helpful.. id look for fingers of dry land reaching into swamp, a search for closest food sources..acorn,beach,hickory, apple find the finger where they enter and leave the swamp to go for food pick tree or blind location according to wind and hunt. best generalization i can give with out a topo and predominat wind or knowing why they leave the swamp ( food ,pressure,ect)

23 minutes ago, TheMiz54 said:

No a few of them are marked with a tree stand icon for possible stand locations. I also found a scrape and rub in one of the locations as well.

My property has a fair amount of cattail swamps.   Points out in the swamp like those marks are always good options.  During the rut, the bucks will also run transition lines downwind of the swamp scent checking.   Often you will find heavily used doe trails near the transition.   The bucks will run a parallel trail slightly further downwind.   Scent is critical.  Use good access and hunt good winds or you will blow them out.  Even more so than Hill country.  Good luck.  Boots on the ground tell the rest. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

My property has a fair amount of cattail swamps.   Points out in the swamp like those marks are always good options.  During the rut, the bucks will also run transition lines downwind of the swamp scent checking.   Often you will find heavily used doe trails near the transition.   The bucks will run a parallel trail slightly further downwind.   Scent is critical.  Use good access and hunt good winds or you will blow them out.  Even more so than Hill country.  Good luck.  Boots on the ground tell the rest. 

Thanks moog great advice. It looked like a crazy hub right near the transition zone between the point and where the swamp was so I know the does run east and west I assume the bucks are bedding on some of the high spots and actually found a few bed in there when I found the rub and scrapes. I think I will set up right on the transition when I get a good wind. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheMiz54 said:

Thanks moog great advice. It looked like a crazy hub right near the transition zone between the point and where the swamp was so I know the does run east and west I assume the bucks are bedding on some of the high spots and actually found a few bed in there when I found the rub and scrapes. I think I will set up right on the transition when I get a good wind. 

That funnel on the east of the swamp between swamp and creek also looks like a killer rut spot for bucks scent checking the swamp on a west based wind.