Mad Cow Disease from Squirrels?

jmark

I love liver and heart....Fresh venison liver fried in bacon fat with onions is one of my very favorite meals, and I am very fond of the heart cooked several different ways, including parboiled and pickled..

However, I draw the line at  brains and glands....I ain't eating no brains, testicles, or sweetbreads ( thymus glands)….

Eating squirrel brains is very popular in some of the more southern states..A Navy buddy from West Virginia  told me that he intentionally took lung shots rather than head shots on squirrels because he liked to eat the brains..

Thoroughly cooked, they are probably safe, but the link between mad cow disease and squirrel brains has been known for quite a few years now..

12 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I love liver and heart....Fresh venison liver fried in bacon fat with onions is one of my very favorite meals, and I am very fond of the heart cooked several different ways, including parboiled and pickled..

However, I draw the line at  brains and glands....I ain't eating no brains, testicles, or sweetbreads ( thymus glands)….

Eating squirrel brains is very popular in some of the more southern states..A Navy buddy from West Virginia  told me that he intentionally took lung shots rather than head shots on squirrels because he liked to eat the brains..

Thoroughly cooked, they are probably safe, but the link between mad cow disease and squirrel brains has been known for quite a few years now..

Button buck liver, fried medium rare in an iron pan with olive oil and some onions, is very good.  I no longer keep the livers from older deer because I find it kind of tough compared to beef liver, which I can get for free whenever I want it.  My wife pickles the season's deer hearts every Valentine's day.   That pickled heart is always very good.     

I used to make a killer liver & onions meal once each fall.  Fried potatoes, bacon, then liver & onions all from the same cast iron skillet.  Some fine fine eating but it'd put me in a world of hurt these days with a monkeyed up stomach and all......

Like cigars, a thing of the past for me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I used to make a killer liver & onions meal once each fall.  Fried potatoes, bacon, then liver & onions all from the same cast iron skillet.  Some fine fine eating but it'd put me in a world of hurt these days with a monkeyed up stomach and all......

Like cigars, a thing of the past for me.

Holy crap, Larry....That has me salivating....Cigars sound great too  !!   It might be WORTH dying for  !!

When I was a kid in the south, pretty much every greasy spoon had pork brains and scrambled eggs on the menu.  I had it once, in the wee hours of the morning, on a bet out with friends.  It wasn't very good, as I recall (and I don't recall much from those days)....

pork-brains.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1