Whats your go to stand

HuntOrBeHunted

Ladder stands for sure. My favorite being on 5 acres in the corner of a friend's property. They have to walk through his yard and the neighbor's yard to get back to bedding. I am close to retiring from hang ons. Just bought a climber today. Not looking forward to dragging an extra almost 30 lbs out there but if it gets me onto some mature bucks I wont be complaining anymore.

33 minutes ago, HuntOrBeHunted said:

Ladder stand... Climber... Hang up ???

Ground blinds. Mainly brush blinds I made. I have a couple store bought hub blinds, easy to set up, a PITA to take down.

I also have a few spots that provide natural cover over looking some good trails I have noticed get beaten up every year and have some good sign. If I feel I might be exposed on those, I will bring the camo burlap and tie it off in front of me.

My favorites are couple of two-story ones that I made from old construction-style truck caps.    I finally broke in the one over at my folks place last fall, with what may be my heaviest buck ever.  I killed that stout, 46 inch chest girth,  3-1/2 year old from the upper deck (built on the ladder rack) with my crossbow.   I think I drew him into range by trying to sound like a rival buck clearing a scrape, as I cleared the leaves off the upper deck with my hands, about 3 minutes prior to his arrival. 

The one at our place has been the most productive stand here for quite some time and is definitely the most comfortable to hunt from.  It is the most roomy with plenty of space for the kids, built with an 8-foot cap (the one at my folk's place is a little cozier, being made from a 6.5 footer).   The enclosed lower levels provide good protection from high winds, cold rain and sleet.  The side doors fold out giving additional rain protection and good sun shade and nice gun rests atop the 3 foot lower side walls.   The upper deck provide better visibility in fair-weather conditions and are wrapped with a 3-foot high barnwood wall which provides safety and a shooting rail all the way around.  I have killed multiple deer from each level of the one on our farm. It has some mobility, with the lower deck made from an old snowmobile trailer.   It will likely remain in its present location as that has been the most productive and the trailer is getting to be in rough shape for further transport. 

For me, a go-to stand has to be comfortable in all weather conditions and has to be located in an area that offers more shot opportunities than alternatives.     

I have also started to put these in for rainy days or if I wanted to take my kids out.  The top blind I have used several times for turkey and the bottom blind is a great spot for late muzzleloader season.  That blind overlooks one of my bigger plots.  I have used old pallets to build them and have thrown a Camo tarp over the top to stay dry.5DC2E660-7857-434F-A6A9-282125C12BE8.thumb.jpeg.4476abfe825d1eadcf75fd80b62d96af.jpegADD93C21-2939-4E41-80DB-5BD71BABA393.thumb.jpeg.be59378671567126fb05419f755a17a2.jpeg

• Like 4

you'd think etiquette is common place on private ground but it's not. other hunters (family) on the farm don't pay attention to wind and other things like i do. i don't get much time to hunt either. My climber is my go to stand. leaves less scent and other hunters can't burn out my stand i worked hard to place and put up before i even sit in it.

• Like 2

Ended up getting my first climber today. The cost kept me away for the longest but they were not getting any cheaper lol. I have ladder stands and hang ons and I always seem to not like the position or height choice so I figured a climber is the best way to stay mobile. And the deer patterns change so much around here when cold and rut comes in to play. 

If I didn't have a dinner date with the ol lady I would be testing it out this evening, Grrr lol.

• Like 1