Stand height

HuntOrBeHunted

I use a lot of ladder stands now. For me they are just easier, safer and more comfortable to me. A lot are only 15-16 feet. When I saw a good deal I bought 4 and used the fourth to use an extra 5 foot section for the other 3 and have 3 at 20'. I find 17-20 good for my ladders. In my climber I'm usually a bit higher at 22-28 feet. That being said I think cover and backdrop as well as location and topography can vary your height needs.

• Like 2

15-18' usually over the years, between ladder stands, and the climber.   This year I added a 15' ladder stand, and now have a 20' ladder stand the previous owner added an extra section to.  20' is my max, still not the most comfortable,  but slowly adapting to it.

4 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

i have some that are 17 and some that are 9.  depends on the spot. a couple of stands are more concealed at 9 foot with brush etc and if it was a 17ft stand youd stick out like a sore thumb.  Like fletch said go with the background and topography. Each spot is different.   

Exactly. No right or wrong answer, just get a backdrop

As of this year, all of mine are less than 10 feet.  Most have good cover, in the form of a 3 ft high wall/shooting rail, all the way around.  Since 2014, I have only been using a crossbow or gun from them, so there is no longer a need to hide that draw.   Keeping them low, with the rail all around, also eliminates the need for an safety harness and fall restraint.   Too low is not so good either though.  On flat land, I am most comfortable hunting from a platform that is at least 3 feet above the ground, because I know that the ground will act as a backstop for my own shots and there is less worry that I will be struck by others.  

I am very thankful to have survived 35 years of hunting from higher stands, without using a safety harness and without suffering any injuries.   That would be a lot tougher to do in these days of smart-phones and other distracting gadgetry.        

I only use hang ons with stick sets and would say 95% are 15 to 20 feet all depending on terrain. I have one spot that is a deep and steep ravine. On the top it's a fairly narrow piece of woods maybe 60 yds wide and borders the land owners back yard. It is also very thick and a bedding area so I hung a stand on the downhill towards the ravine so I could still make a bow shot to the edge that is heavily traveled. In order to be about 10 ft higher than that level my platform is about 40 ft. Definitely not a stand to sit when the wind picks up.