Ticks on dog

Thestevemeister

People can re-contract Lyme so I'm assuming dogs can too. Got lyme myself back in 2012.. Not all ticks carry Lyme only a small % do... Tick has to be attached for several hours I was told 6-8 hrs to transmit the disease. I'm not a vet but I do work in healthcare as a Dr. Get him to the vet if he gets the usual symptoms. Hoping for freezing temps soon

It seems there are a lot more ticks around now then there used to be. We never treated our last dog for ticks or fleas,she passed three or four years ago at 16 1/2 years old.

We got a new dog last march and she would come back to the house with 5 to 10 ticks crawling on her. We are treating her for it,although i am pretty sure the medicine is pretty bad for the dog as well. Think about it if it kills/repels ticks for three months it has to be pretty nasty stuff. But i feel without it she will get lyme disease for sure,plus i dont want a tick delivery system into my house.

Ticks are bad this year, they seemed to be fine but three weeks ago they just seemed to have appeared out of no where. I use the seresto collars, they seem to work pretty good. I also get lyme shots for the dogs, certainly is not 100% but everything helps. I also do a few thigs for the kennel boxes and my yard. I also have a jar of rubbing alcohol in kennel to drop the ticks in i find.  Winter/cold does not stop the ticks.

Edited by Paula
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, nodeerhere said:

Best investment ever. Just make sure you don't have treatment on the dog and make sure u get it for the right weight

image.png

I buy the large and cut in half and zip tie to collars and i only use for 6 months

Edited by Paula

Soresto collar here too. We tried the drops but it made the dog act like he was drunk within a half hour ,he was stumbling around and walked into the car in the driveway . We had to give him a bath in dawn soap to get it off and he was back to normal the same day.

39 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Soresto collar here too. We tried the drops but it made the dog act like he was drunk within a half hour ,he was stumbling around and walked into the car in the driveway . We had to give him a bath in dawn soap to get it off and he was back to normal the same day.

That wasn’t your dog   That was me after a long yelling Goat visit. Can I request bath toys if it happens again. GI Joe in Navy Seal fatigues would be cool. Maybe Malibu  Barbie for him to hang out with ^_^

• Haha 1

Any dog that goes outside will eventually get ticks, some years are worse than others. This year they are light, but we've gotten a lot of rain.

I give the dogs the lyme disease booster, and put 1/2 of a cattle ear tag on their collars, so far so good. And I inspect them daily just to be safe.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

That wasn’t your dog   That was me after a long yelling Goat visit. Can I request bath toys if it happens again. GI Joe in Navy Seal fatigues would be cool. Maybe Malibu  Barbie for him to hang out with ^_^

Our tub is always fully stocked with a vast array of match box cars .

• Like 1