Can I field dress a deer after an hour long car ride?

Core

I hope you enjoyed the thread title.

Situation is I have a daughter who wants to see me field dress a deer (no, she's not a psycho, at least as far as I know--she very well may be, but that would be another thread). Schedule is making it hard to get her out to my hunting land, so as long as I recover a deer quickly I'm thinking I could bring it home and field dress it in the back yard.

Normally I field dress immediately, but I can't really see how this is any different than waiting  a few hours to recover a deer, so I'm thinking it's fine. Just want to run it by y'all before I do it ;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Core said:

I hope you enjoyed the thread title.

Situation is I have a daughter who wants to see me field dress a deer (no, she's not a psycho, at least as far as I know--she very well may be, but that would be another thread). Schedule is making it hard to get her out to my hunting land, so as long as I recover a deer quickly I'm thinking I could bring it home and field dress it in the back yard.

Normally I field dress immediately, but I can't really see how this is any different than waiting  a few hours to recover a deer, so I'm thinking it's fine. Just want to run it by y'all before I do it ;)

Temp depending, if you shoot one with an arrow and it runs off it could be hours before you recover it normally. Judge the temps and time and have at it. I wouldn't try in on those 89 degree days but with the weather I am seeing forecast I say go for it. 

• Like 1

Just now, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Temp depending, if you shoot one with an arrow and it runs off it could be hours before you recover it normally. Judge the temps and time and have at it. I wouldn't try in on those 89 degree days but with the weather I am seeing forecast I say go for it. 

Considering hunting always, always goes as planned, I intend on double-lunging it, it runs 100 yards toward my car, temps are 42, and I drive home with the windows open.

• Like 6

as others have mentioned, some don't field dress for various reason. Heck your local butcher will tell you how they get the "whole deer" in sometimes haha. Generally the sooner you get the stuff that puffs and bloats out the better. It also allows for better cooling of the meat and most importantly for most... a lot less weight to drag out. All that said, so long as its not gut shot I don't see the issue, but generally sooner is better.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Does she have a go-pro camera and a tripod you could borrow ?   That way you could send her the video.  She could watch it as many times as she wants and even share it with her friends and teachers.  

I think she wants to be involved  :blink:

1 minute ago, Core said:

I think she wants to be involved  :blink:

Def , a video ain't gonna cut it.  That's no fun.  

Prob a lot easier to go get her and more fun for all to be in on the blood trail and experience finding the deer with you.  Stuff like that might get her hooked and hunting with you.  Good luck

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Core said:

Minivan :)

Thanks all!

I don’t know where you’re hunting, but be wary of ticks that will come off the dead deer as it cools...and into your sweet ride.

To answer your question, people recover deer hours upon hours after they’re shot.  You’ll be fine as long as the temperatures cooperate.

Edited by Timeless
Derp
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Core said:

Minivan :)

Thanks all!

The best hunting vehicle! I loved mine , remove middle seats , place bow or gun on rear seat , can get dressed inside, nap, easy to,pull deer in .

Great for hunting ,of course not macho enough for most guys ....Just  got my first pick up truck, what a pain to hunt out of . Gas mileage sucks , parking sucks ,ride sucks .

• Like 1

The best hunting vehicle! I loved mine , remove middle seats , place bow or gun on rear seat , can get dressed inside, nap, easy to,pull deer in .
Great for hunting ,of course not macho enough for most guys ....Just  got my first pick up truck, what a pain to hunt out of . Gas mileage sucks , parking sucks ,ride sucks .
I'll take it off your hands

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

We bought it to tow a RV .  But I drive the Subaru when ever I can ,way more fun than that ,  chunky Z71 . I honestly don’t understand why anyone would drive one ,if they didn’t need it for work or towing .

2017crossbow5.JPG.2025cc6b783a3184efcb20690f32c6c0.JPG

You got to get one of these for your mini-van.  They only cost about  $ 40 from Harbor Freight and U-Haul will mount a 2" receiver on most mini-vans for less than $ 200.   That way the tics and the blood and guts stay outside.  Also, way easier to load a heavy deer (like that ^^ 46" chest-girth slob), than a pickup truck.  That will be an even more important consideration if you leave the guts in.  

• Like 1