Favorite stand snack

moog5050

23 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Never bring food to a stand but when I’m hunting the big woods I always have one of these in my pocket. Almost 2000calories instant boost of energy and they’re delicious! Also if I bump a buck and want to sit down and wait half an hr trying to chew these when it’s cold takes a long time!
ce5f4c5a60630132b0aafe92bd83e715.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That makes good sense . High calories easy to,tote , good to have a few in the pack in The big woods, I’d imagine .

Do you at least cook the deer heart, or just slice it up and put it between a couple slices of bread?  Savage.
My guide out west had me take a bite of the fresh heart right after we pulled it from my deer. Said its tradition for your first deer to take a bite. It was gross. Tasted like pennies

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Jerky and ham and swiss sammies ( maybe roast beef ). My other is hot and spicy Planters Peanuts.

Last season, I woke up a bit late, nothing for snacks and no time to make breakfast, so I put some leftover shepherds pie made with corn in a container, doused it with hot sauce thinking the heat from the sauce would help the cold food. It did. But 20 minutes later I was running to um, well you know. Just remember folks, if DEC wants to get testy corn in your poop is still baiting! LOL!

• Like 1

Water and trail mix, jerky, or Cliff bars repackaged in ziplok snack bags for silence. take a leak from the stand. don't even get down. all turns to ammonia anyway and there's enough of it around from the deer. no #2 until i'm at least back to the truck. 

40 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

My guide out west had me take a bite of the fresh heart right after we pulled it from my deer. Said its tradition for your first deer to take a bite. It was gross. Tasted like pennies

I have a video of my Inuit guide , George Konana,  taking a slice of raw caribou liver, dipping it in the stomach contents ( aka SHIT)  and eating it  …..Then he licked his fingers...

This was in  Northwest Territories, Canada....

I could probably do the raw liver on a bet,  but not  the stomach contents.....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kpkot said:

LOL wtf! That's native tradition? 

This guy lives far north of the Arctic Circle...They are kind of short of veggies up there....They get  essential vitamins by eating the  stomach contents of the vegetarian animals they kill...They also need and crave fat..While George was butchering a caribou, he would  slice off pieces of the raw fat and  pop them in his mouth for snacks...Different world...

2 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

This guy lives far north of the Arctic Circle...They are kind of short of veggies up there....They get  essential vitamins by eating the  stomach contents of the vegetarian animals they kill...They also need and crave fat..While George was butchering a caribou, he would  slice off pieces of the raw fat and  pop them in his mouth for snacks...Different world...

Yes and no.... I eat alot of shit at work too. Maybe me and George aren't that different?

• Haha 2

Cold fried egg sandwiches on toast. 5 per day on opening day. I have a heck of a time making them last 'til lunch. Fill the scrambled egg full of busted up bacon slices while cooking and sometimes add some onions. On stand, I always keep a cup of good hot coffee within reach and then it doesn't really matter if a deer comes along or not. I just hate it when I have to set the sandwich down and grab the gun.

malrd06.JPG.9c2619c7320eabccb5200b8f3dab74f5.JPG

Stand set-up for endurance. There's the bag of sandwiches to left of the stool, and the ever-present thermos of coffee. And gun rests everywhere just in case I have to stop eating long enough to take care of business.

Edited by Doc
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

I've told that to every newbie I've been out with. Never made them do it though!:rofl:

49 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Sunflower seeds and raisins.   Pretty good.  

37E03450-81A4-4A69-94F5-28523C3F40DF.jpeg

I could practically live on that stuff

Back when we were doing our DIYAlaska hunts we would prepack lunches for every day..Jerky and trail mix....each hunter would have a pre packed Ziploc bag for every day we would hunt... Breakfast was instant oatmeal...Supper was the big meal of the day and was often eaten after dark....Staples were dried pasta/ noodle mixes, plus a few freeze dried meals for variety...We were very fortunate and always had meat within the first couple of days...Moose and caribou are wonderful in camp...Also on some of the trips we had fishing nearby ….Leopard rainbows, dolly vardens and graying made a nice  change of pace.....

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I could practically live on that stuff

Back when we were doing our DIYAlaska hunts we would prepack lunches for every day..Jerky and trail mix....each hunter would have a pre packed Ziploc bag for every day we would hunt... Breakfast was instant oatmeal...Supper was the big meal of the day and was often eaten after dark....Staples were dried pasta/ noodle mixes, plus a few freeze dried meals for variety...We were very fortunate and always had meat within the first couple of days...Moose and caribou are wonderful in camp...Also on some of the trips we had fishing nearby ….Leopard rainbows, dolly vardens and graying made a nice  change of pace.....

That sounds like the life Pygmy.  Always wanted to catch me one of them leopard rainbows.  

6 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

That sounds like the life Pygmy.  Always wanted to catch me one of them leopard rainbows.  

They are beautiful Zeb....1000 spots on one fish...They are also the best tasting rainbows I have ever eaten, but that may have been because  of WHERE I was when I was eating them...

• Like 1

They are beautiful Zeb....1000 spots on one fish...They are also the best tasting rainbows I have ever eaten, but that may have been because  of WHERE I was when I was eating them...
Could it have been because the alternative was eating liver and caribou shit?

• Haha 1