Moving a stand mid season

regulat0r

Have any of you ever moved a stand mid season with positive results? I obtained permission to hunt a new property at the start of last season. I put a ladder stand up in an area w cover and food sources. The property is full of cover, food, trails etc. 

i hunted the stand twice last year and once last weekend. One sit I saw nothing but the other two I saw deer moving through a funnel 60 yards to my left. 

So my question is... do I move my stand mid day this weekend, then let the spot cool off for a week then hunt it again or will the commotion of moving a ladder stand push the deer away?  I’m fortunate enough to have several other properties to hunt so I can let the spot rest for 2-3 weeks. 

Has anybody ever done this midway through the season and then taken a deer from the new stand location?  Please share your thoughts. Thanks!

*note - I’m well aware of Murphy’s law which would probably be in effect and deer would move by my original location after I move the stand. 

I would move it midday for sure.  And dunno when you saw the most deer but i would hunt it right away.  If you move it midday and been seeing deer go thru in the am , i would hunt it that next morning.  Ive had some luck doing this same thing.  try to do it as scent free as possible and since your only going a few yards it shouldnt be too bad.  good luck.  

Edited by Robhuntandfish

If you can Move it mid day  do it now and if you can do so without disturbing the area, then no need to wait to hunt it. . Unless you disturb the spot pretty good (cutting a bunch of branches, leaving your scent all over, etc..) Or end up sticking out like a sore thumb.. go hunt it. Ive hung and hunted same day.. no issues. As long as the wind was in my favor and if i didnt have to cut a lot of branches. They will smell branches that have been cut.. The fresh cut saw dust and fresh cuts on trees are very noticeable to a deer esp if the wind is in their favor. 

Plain and simple MOVE IT!

If you're seeing activity or patterns just out of range, move that sucker mid day and it'll be ready to hunt that evening or IMMEDIATELY if you got nowhere else to be. I've done this in the past and have killed within the first hour of my first sit in the new location MORE THAN ONCE. On the other hand, I've also ruined a few set ups this way,lol

I think back to the days when our group was just a bunch of impatient stump sitters bouncing around from spot to spot throughout the day disturbing everything in the area, but most times always killing our deer.

IMO, being too timid in the deer woods once you notice a pattern is one of the biggest contributors to deer growing older and unfilled tags. We tend to believe that deer notice our every move out there and are always watching us, but in reality, nothing could be further from the truth. 

Make sure your new set up has the wind in your favor though. Sometimes moving just a matter of 50 yards can change EVERYTHING when it comes to your stink staying out of their nostrils

• Like 4

As said many times above move it, not much different then using a climber .

this afternoon I’m bringing my pole saw in with me ,as this stand looked too thick to have shooting lanes on one side, well after some leaf drop , I can see where some,trimming will give me good lanes .

Not one bit concerned with hunting this stand after trimming today .

• Like 1

I have a field of about 7 acres of corn I am hoping they cut soon. If they do a stand goes up 10 minutes later.  They planted the corn right right to the treeline on each side and it's basically unhuntable and inaccessible until they do. But as soon as it's cut have a spot for a stand ready to go and I will hunt it hard for a few days. Just hope they do it before bow season is over.  

A few years ago , when my mother was alive , I was hunting her property in Groveland . I saw deer traveling about 80 yards from my stand . I had a ladder stand in my trailer and set it up closer to their trail in the late morning . Shot a doe from that stand in the afternoon . 

My oldest son likes to move his stands when it rains or when it might rain . He figures the rain will help wash away any scent from the stand or area .