Live from the butcher block

Chef

Just now, chefhunter86 said:

I don’t live any where near there. I live in West Nyack during the week and jeffersonville on the weekends. But if you’re on 17 a lot then I’m sure you have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be sure to wave if you see the arm, lol.

• Like 1

Agreed...but I just don’t love steaks...even those really expensive ones.
Love chili, empanadas, meatloaf, shepherds pie, ragu, venison ravioli, burgers, sausage....all equals ground.
Backstraps and loins get my steak fix- loins get grilled hard and fast, sliced thin on toasted crustinis and onions & straps get a Wellington treatment.

I like where your heads at. I’m thinking I may shoot a doe just for ground this year so I can make a to of sausage

That’s awesome! Who’s gunna do the mount for you? If you loose the thread pm me and I’ll bump it up. I like that rack you built in the fridge. I may have to buy a old fridge and turn it into a dry aging room

I bringing him to Zitz up in the Rhinebeck/red hook area. He did some awesome work for my buddy on a bow shot turkey- long drive but on the way to his/my Columbia county hunting property

• Like 1

That’s awesome! Who’s gunna do the mount for you? If you loose the thread pm me and I’ll bump it up. I like that rack you built in the fridge. I may have to buy a old fridge and turn it into a dry aging room

I grabbed this fridge from my neighbor who was upgrading. I leave it in the back shed until I kill something and then plug it in. I ripped out the shelves and built(I’m an english teacher so building ain’t my thing) the wood rack with 6 hooks so I can hang meat if I am lucky enough to harvest.

Ran electric to the shed this summer with some lights outside for when I am skinning and quartering.

3 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I grabbed this fridge from my neighbor who was upgrading. I leave it in the back shed until I kill something and then plug it in. I ripped out the shelves and built(I’m an english teacher so building ain’t my thing) the wood rack with 6 hooks so I can hang meat if I am lucky enough to harvest.

Ran electric to the shed this summer with some lights outside for when I am skinning and quartering.

Sounds like you handle a lot of meat. 

Ground up the baby.
a8f15b8d3a07c10d8a26930d20fc46a5.jpg

Taste (or texture) testing grind plates:

Ground in the front went though a large plate and then small plate.

Back ground went through the large plate twice.

10% pork fat .... color is missing the deep red color due to the veal-like quality/color of the meat....I guess I will need to suffer though that!

• Like 2

Butchered up my deer last night. Took a while but we have some beautiful cuts of meat from this deer. The neck roast was massive! Shanks were meaty too, can't wait for osso bucco....
f3effb1a3317bccc475ead14c611bb26.jpg569527cf5479b9dab7cdfd8141936018.jpg2f8209f492ed8021384cf9825185aa71.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Final results of my bucks front legs....5 pounds pure venison to be ground (probably go 15-20% fat when I grind) ; 3 pounds of stew meat (front left) and 2 pounds of shanks.
Also got 8 pounds to be ground from cleaning up the back straps and neck and 6.5 pounds of straps.(not pictured)
They’ve been hanging for 9 days due to some unexpected delays. Hind legs still hanging.

c3c90c5cd8915890daa3ba496fc94a59.jpg

• Like 3

On 10/19/2018 at 7:51 PM, chefhunter86 said:

How far past this stage do you take your hind quarters before you package and freeze. This is where I usually stop and vacuum pack

9e84c09c7b28b6523eb01c09d2e94ee0.jpg

I like to cut them into portions and freeze it that way. Takes longer for me to seal portions than whole muscle groups, but its better long run when I know it might just be me eating deer or maybe one or two other family members in my house eating it. Makes the meat last a little longer that way for my family. 

• Like 1

Just now, chefhunter86 said:

Here’s another one for you guys who butcher your own, do you give scraps or bones to your dogs? I always “drop” a few scraps on the floor for my pointers.

Its great for your dogs, but I have yet to get a dog so I just bring them back to the woods and throw them in there. Something there will make good use of it 

My Brit scavenges while I’m on the block and loves the fact that I “miss” the garbage pail more often than Price misses the strike zone (vs the Yanks only).
I did throw him a bone(raw- do not cook as they splinter) in his younger days. At 14+ I get too nervous about bones for him- often he struggles chewing through and digesting regular dog food. He LOVED “skull cleaning day” for a euro mount two weeks back

• Like 1