Live from the butcher block

Chef

11 hours ago, chefhunter86 said:

Here’s another one for you guys who butcher your own, do you give scraps or bones to your dogs? I always “drop” a few scraps on the floor for my pointers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My dog loves it.  We don’t. Had a diarrhea attack and ruined an expensive area rug a few weeks ago.   No more.  My fault.  

Here’s another one for you guys who butcher your own, do you give scraps or bones to your dogs? I always “drop” a few scraps on the floor for my pointers.

My mutt loves it. Can’t imagine it’s bad for them dogs have been eating deer for a long time! Never have come across a coyote roasting some venison over a fire so I can’t imagine why you’d need to cook it for them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My dog loves it.  We don’t. Had a diarrhea attack and ruined an expensive area rug a few weeks ago.   No more.  My fault.  

Yea, my younger dog has a sensitive stomach with the Baby my wife sucks at letting them out during the day so it makes me nervous.

Final step on my bow buck. Mixed in 10% pork fat to make burger. Next deer scraps will be used to make sausage.2308354c5b904ad4f6ec5930996354cb.jpg&key=7d3b383f0a35ca01da93546c7ff57a3c7d25cd8cecb9c498fc96c823f4cc7043

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Looking good...can we piggyback this post to discuss ground vs fat? I thought 10% would be good...my buddy wants closer to 20% due to the Lean nature of venison. Where do you all land?

Also noticed a fairly large plate for your grind...anyone have opinions/rationale for different size/smaller plates?

I hate “playing with” my venison - trying something that I end up not liking. I enjoy it too much to waste on trial and error

2 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Looking good...can we piggyback this post to discuss ground vs fat? I thought 10% would be good...my buddy wants closer to 20% due to the Lean nature of venison. Where do you all land?

Also noticed a fairly large plate for your grind...anyone have opinions/rationale for different size/smaller plates?

I hate “playing with” my venison - trying something that I end up not liking. I enjoy it too much to waste on trial and error

For burger I add 3 lbs of bacon ends and pieces to 10 lbs of ground venison.

For sausage I add 6lbs venison to 4 lbs of ground pork. 

This was our first time making ground venison.  We based it off of a book by Steve Rinella, “Hunting, Butchering and Cooking Wild Game”. For ground venison to use for burgers, Bolognese, chili, etc. , he suggests 10% fat as ideal.  For sausages, the ratio will be much higher, maybe up to 40 or 50% depending on your recipe.  

The machine only came with 2 plates, the one in the pic is the smaller one.  It is actually very close in size to what you would find for ground beef at the supermarket. 

Again, this was our first swing at it, and I have not tasted it yet with the 10% ratio.  If it is too light I can always add more when I thaw it out to use it.  

Open to all suggestions for the future.

Edited by Otto

My wife and kids and myself all love 100 % ground venison.  My wife (who does most of the cooking) likes it the best.  She has been "spoiled" by cooking venison and now gets "grossed out" frying beef hamburg due to all the fat that cooks out of it in the pan.   A couple years ago, my brother in law gave us some venison that had 20 % pork added and she did not like that as much.  Adding pork to venison will adversely effect the flavor, the longer it is in the freezer, because pork fat is mostly oil that does not freeze.  

We mostly use the grind for things like tacos, or spaghetti meat sauce, or chile, so there really is no reason to add the pork like there might be when making hamburgs to grill.  When and if I make those, I just add a little raw egg to the ground venison, form it into patties, and refrigerate them for at least a couple hours prior to grilling.   That makes then stick together good on the grill, unlike freshly formed pure venison patties, which tend to break up on the grill.    

• Like 3

It depends on the application you are grinding it for, for burger 10-20 depending on how you like it. Sausage can be much higher. As far as plate size I usually grind through he large plate first and then again through the small plate

So my buck had been hanging in a fridge (controlled temp) For 10+ days. Looks great but I am wondering how the outer black meat impact flavor. I cut most away but how deep must I cut away? Will it negatively affect the flavor of the grind if the exposed to air meat finds its way to the grind pile?

9438744eb8c3bd95bf02110e92379895.jpg

58 minutes ago, crappyice said:

So my buck had been hanging in a fridge (controlled temp) For 10+ days. Looks great but I am wondering how the outer black meat impact flavor. I cut most away but how deep must I cut away? Will it negatively affect the flavor of the grind if the exposed to air meat finds its way to the grind pile?

9438744eb8c3bd95bf02110e92379895.jpg

You will be the first to find out.

9438744eb8c3bd95bf02110e92379895.jpg&key=702413bbb8e2faabf9eea070b9ffa87464f79fcf2b6c13fb5a4b5525a73ec85a

Ok so basically what you did is dry age the meat, well half of the process any way it’s usually about 28 days. Just trim the black off don’t go too deep. Your meat will probably have a bit of a nutty flavor. Should be good

• Like 1

10 hours ago, eaglemountainman said:

Any recommendations on a good meat grinder that won't break the bank?

Has anyone ever used a KitchenAid with the grinder attachment? If so, what are your impressions?

That's what I use. Bought the grinder and sausage attachment. Been using it for 4 years now and works great.  

• Thanks 1

On 11/11/2018 at 2:59 PM, turkeyfeathers said:

wife is a vet   DO NOT feed dogs any bones    She couldn't even guess as to how many instances of bones stuck sideways ,lodged,  bone splinters removed in surgeries

Nope your 100% correct i just let them clean the meat off then take the bone away

• Like 1

So i still have a little left to go on Saturday’s buck, neck some scraps one of the back straps... my freezers are both packed to the gills. Granted some of the big freezer is left over from last springs cow but still. The wife said we better start eating and fast. I think I’m gunna give so away to co workers that don’t hunt
2afe1d9cc5d2f504369f3c3af5b0753a.jpg
3e73058b9b5d91f0233073a5b89b4161.jpg