Live from the butcher block

Chef

54 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Thanks-I must say I am surprised at the amount of silver skin/white stuff that is happening in your pile. Or maybe I am foolish for throwing out so much “good stuff” because of the connective tissue I can’t trim out.

Don’t be insulted by this - I am just trying to figure out if I am overdoing the processing and being wasteful- yet I would be quite turned off by my meat if I’m chewing with sinew in my grind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No offense taken at all.   I will generally try to trim more fat and white stuff off but I was on a time schedule with this deer.  I honestly cannot detect any flavor differences with that amount of white.  I will trim down some of this better right before it goes in the grinder.  I guess folks do it and other things a little different, that's one of the reasons I like to butcher myself... I get the job done the way I like it. Some folks like to add beef fat or pork fat, but I like my ground all venison (unless I am making sausage, then I'll go 50/50 venison to pork butt).  Also, I'd like to add that I only grind after I practically freeze everything.  It grinds nicer in my opinion.  I like to coarse grind first then fine grind after that.  The meat stays plenty cold enough to grind twice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

Thanks-I must say I am surprised at the amount of silver skin/white stuff that is happening in your pile. Or maybe I am foolish for throwing out so much “good stuff” because of the connective tissue I can’t trim out.

Don’t be insulted by this - I am just trying to figure out if I am overdoing the processing and being wasteful- yet I would be quite turned off by my meat if I’m chewing with sinew in my grind

33 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

I wonder about that too sometimes. My friend and I trim all white stuff,which takes a lot of time. 

I think the silverskin,sinew affects flavor more than texture if you grind it.

I did an experiment a couple of years back as I always take a ton of time to make sure there is no fat, silver skin, connective tissue etc. in my ground because I always heard it affects the flavor. 

Anyways that year I trimmed up the fat and what not but not to the extent that I normally do and honestly I could taste the difference in the meat and I did not like it. I still ate everything but I did not look forward to it like I normally do. 

Now I am back to spending way to much time trying to get nothing put pure meat for my ground. Some still makes it through and I am sure I am wasting a bit more than others but it's how I like it. 

Everyone has different taste buds so what I experienced others may not. 

• Like 3

I did an experiment a couple of years back as I always take a ton of time to make sure there is no fat, silver skin, connective tissue etc. in my ground because I always heard it affects the flavor. 
Anyways that year I trimmed up the fat and what not but not to the extent that I normally do and honestly I could taste the difference in the meat and I did not like it. I still ate everything but I did not look forward to it like I normally do. 
Now I am back to spending way to much time trying to get nothing put pure meat for my ground. Some still makes it through and I am sure I am wasting a bit more than others but it's how I like it. 
Everyone has different taste buds so what I experienced others may not. 

That’s what I was wondering and appreciate your “scientific experiment!” When I hear the yield people are getting from their deer compared to mine I feel a bit wasteful(not just wolc!) - yet I know it would be wasted if I don’t enjoy it(ie left to freezer burn!).
I pulled just about 60 pounds of VERY clean pure meat from my 188 pound field dressed buck. It also hung for 10 days or so so I had some “blackened”!waste as well...but golly does my remaining meat look good

• Like 1

That’s what I was wondering and appreciate your “scientific experiment!” When I hear the yield people are getting from their deer compared to mine I feel a bit wasteful(not just wolc!) - yet I know it would be wasted if I don’t enjoy it(ie left to freezer burn!).
I pulled just about 60 pounds of VERY clean pure meat from my 188 pound field dressed buck. It also hung for 10 days or so so I had some “blackened”!waste as well...but golly does my remaining meat look good

Next time I get a deer I’ll try and weight it at it’s field dressed weight then show my processed meat weight so we can compare.

As a guess my buck weight 150 dressed and Again a guess says I pulled 50 pounds of meat from it. That can be no where near accurate for all I know though.

Next time I get a deer I’ll try and weight it at it’s field dressed weight then show my processed meat weight so we can compare.

As a guess my buck weight 150 dressed and Again a guess says I pulled 50 pounds of meat from it. That can be no where near accurate for all I know though.

That’s probably not that far off. Figure after dressing the meat to bone/fat ratio is 45% meat and 55% bone, fat and other.

• Like 2

That’s probably not that far off. Figure after dressing the meat to bone/fat ratio is 45% meat and 55% bone, fat and other.

I heard to expect 30% from a butcher once but that feels like it’s pretty light on the beef

I heard to expect 30% from a butcher once but that feels like it’s pretty light on the beef

Yea it’s for sure more like 45. 30 after they skim off the top

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

I also trim as much fat and silverskin as time allows, off the meat that I put into grind.  It definitely effects the flavor.  Does usually have a higher percentage of fat to trim off, which takes more time.  I also trim off all the bloodied up stuff around the bullet wounds.  That cost me a ton of meat on the one I cut up last night.  It don't look like it will be quite as bad on the one I skinned tonight, despite my hitting it with (3) 12 gage sabot slugs.  Those look like they messed up the meat considerably less than (2) .243's on the other one.   The slugs all passed thru, taking some of their energy into the ground.  Both rifle bullets stayed in the deer, turning all of their energy into bloodied up meat and broken bones.   

I also trim as much fat and silverskin as time allows, off the meat that I put into grind.  It definitely effects the flavor.  Does usually have a higher percentage of fat to trim off, which takes more time.  I also trim off all the bloodied up stuff around the bullet wounds.  That cost me a ton of meat on the one I cut up last night.  It don't look like it will be quite as bad on the one I skinned tonight, despite my hitting it with (3) 12 gage sabot slugs.  Those look like they messed up the meat considerably less than (2) .243's on the other one.   The slugs all passed thru, taking some of their energy into the ground.  Both rifle bullets stayed in the deer, turning all of their energy into bloodied up meat and broken bones.   

Why on earth would your shoot a deer 3 times with a 12ga slugs

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

Why on earth would your shoot a deer 3 times with a 12ga slugs

Mostly due to all the horror stories I read here of folks knocking them down and then loosing them.  In addition, a buddy from work had that happen on my farm on opening day last season.  He chose to text me that he had one down, rather than using his finger on his trigger to put it down for good.  I ain't into feeding coyotes and you can't eat those little green tags.    This one stayed on his feet after the first hit.  The second hit knocked him down with a broken back.  He was pulling himself up with his front legs when I gave him the third to the neck as a "finisher".  I hate to see any animal suffer.   All the slugs passed thru though, so they did not contribute to his 182 pound field-dressed weight on a 1/4 pound accuracy scale.  

All the shots were broadside, the first striking above the spine, the second right on it from about 100 yards away.  The third to the neck was from point-blank range.  Had he been facing away I probably could have put him down with one of those of the type that TF mentioned.     It would have been tougher fitting a big 12 gauge into that hole where I put a .30 cal last time.  Surely it would have bruised up the tenderloins a little bit.    

Edited by wolc123

Mostly due to all the horror stories I read here of folks knocking them down and then loosing them.  In addition, a buddy from work had that happen on my farm on opening day last season.  He chose to text me that he had one down, rather than using his finger on his trigger to put it down for good.  I ain't into feeding coyotes and you can't eat those little green tags.    This one stayed on his feet after the first hit.  The second hit knocked him down with a broken back.  He was pulling himself up with his front legs when I gave him the third to the neck as a "finisher".  I hate to see any animal suffer.   All the slugs passed thru though, so they did not contribute to his 182 pound field-dressed weight on a 1/4 pound accuracy scale.  
All the shots were broadside, the first striking above the spine, the second right on it from about 100 yards away.  The third to the neck was from point-blank range.  Had he been facing away I probably could have put him down with one of those that of the type that TF mentioned.     It would have been tougher fitting a big 12 gauge into that hole where I put a .30 cal last time.  Surely it would have bruised up the tenderloins a little bit.    

There are so many things I want to say in response to this post, unfortunately many of them will get me banned from this forum. I will hint that a few of them had to do with the different size bullets you enjoy putting up a bucks A$$.

8 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

There are so many things I want to say in response to this post, unfortunately many of them will get me banned from this forum. I will hint that a few of them had to do with the different size bullets you enjoy putting up a bucks A$$.

No one has thicker skin than me, so let's hear it.  I will forgive you in advance.  I have not heard of anyone else cleanly executing a THS .  You are the one I owe the thanks for proving the perfect shot placement with that handy orange plastic bore gauge.    

Why do you think they shorted you 4 points in the 2018 whitetailNY challenge ?   

No one has thicker skin than me, so let's hear it.  I will forgive you in advance.  I have not heard of anyone else cleanly executing a THS .  You are the one I owe the thanks for proving the perfect shot placement with that handy orange plastic bore gauge.    
Why do you think they shorted you 4 points in the 2018 whitetailNY challenge ?   

I’m not sure, I’m sure it was a mistake. Anyway let’s not derail this great thread I’m enjoying seeing how everyone treats their meat

My son in law and his brother butchered my bear this past Saturday.  Very tedious indeed.. I found it impossible to trim all the fat and gristle out.  Mind you , This is the first bears I have done and I am not a professional butcher.

We cooked a steak on the grill and half the steak was un-seasoned, the other half had salt, pepper and Montreal steak spice on it.  The unseasoned half was delish... tasted a lot like beef to me with a hint of sweetness... the other half was equally good.  The meat is tough, so extra chewing is necessary but the flavor was outstanding! 

bb1.jpg

bb2.jpg

bb3.jpg

bb4.jpg

bb5.jpg

bb6.jpg

bb7.jpg

bb8.jpg

bear1.jpg

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Arcade Hunter said:

My son in law and his brother butchered my bear this past Saturday.  Very tedious indeed.. I found it impossible to trim all the fat and gristle out.  Mind you , This is the first bears I have done and I am not a professional butcher.

We cooked a steak on the grill and half the steak was un-seasoned, the other half had salt, pepper and Montreal steak spice on it.  The unseasoned half was delish... tasted a lot like beef to me with a hint of sweetness... the other half was equally good.  The meat is tough, so extra chewing is necessary but the flavor was outstanding! 

bb1.jpg

bb2.jpg

bb3.jpg

bb4.jpg

bb5.jpg

bb6.jpg

bb7.jpg

bb8.jpg

bear1.jpg

thats pretty interesting , thanks for sharing.  Have always wanted to get one NY bear sometime. Always figured i would prob grind a lot of it but def was gonna try a few steaks and stew meat as well. One of these days....... 

• Like 1

i haven't taken a bear and honestly haven't seen one yet in the wild here in NY, despite a big boar was shot almost under my stand one year.  i have heard you need to cook them well versus medium rare to make sure you don't get trichinosis (if that's how you spell it).  heard it can taste really good but can very a bit. watched a Steve Rhinella that's been posted on here shoot a bear that was gorging in an area with wild blue berries. he rendered down the fat first and cooked the bear meat in that. said you could definitely taste the blue berries. i know some older friends that make a trip to Maine every year.

28 minutes ago, Arcade Hunter said:

bb1.jpg

bb2.jpg

bb3.jpg

bb4.jpg

bb5.jpg

bb6.jpg

bb7.jpg

bb8.jpg

bear1.jpg

The meat yield on them is no where close to a deer is it? I've always said I can get more meat from a 130# field dressed deer than a 200# field dressed bear. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I hope youre making a pair of bear pants out of that bottom half! Seriously did you save the claws and skull? So many cool trophies on a bear

i know a guy that saved the teeth and made a necklace. the rear claws would be cool and more bad ass. the teeth were pretty small.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dbHunterNY said:

i haven't taken a bear and honestly haven't seen one yet in the wild here in NY, despite a big boar was shot almost under my stand one year.  i have heard you need to cook them well versus medium rare to make sure you don't get trichinosis (if that's how you spell it).  heard it can taste really good but can very a bit. watched a Steve Rhinella that's been posted on here shoot a bear that was gorging in an area with wild blue berries. he rendered down the fat first and cooked the bear meat in that. said you could definitely taste the blue berries. i know some older friends that make a trip to Maine every year.

I saw that same show and I have never even had a thought about taking a bear but man one that lived on blueberries hmmmmm. I guess bear taste like they eat so stay away from garbage dump bears and the such.

• Like 2