Live from the butcher block

Chef

15 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

i haven't taken a bear and honestly haven't seen one yet in the wild here in NY, despite a big boar was shot almost under my stand one year.  i have heard you need to cook them well versus medium rare to make sure you don't get trichinosis (if that's how you spell it).  heard it can taste really good but can very a bit. watched a Steve Rhinella that's been posted on here shoot a bear that was gorging in an area with wild blue berries. he rendered down the fat first and cooked the bear meat in that. said you could definitely taste the blue berries. i know some older friends that make a trip to Maine every year.

I was in the same boat, DB.  I have been hunting since the early 1980's and have never seen a bear in the wild... a lot of my hunting was southern tier also, bear country.  There are TONS of raspberry bushes all over the one side of the mountain... I would be willing to bet that this bear ate raspberries all summer long and that might explain why the meat has a sweet flavor to it.  I am very pleased with the taste.  I think I will grind a good amount and make sausage and also try a few other dishes to boot.  I'm open for suggestions!

I am aware of cooking the meat to well done... I do not want that parasite in me!!!

15 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

The meat yield on them is no where close to a deer is it? I've always said I can get more meat from a 130# field dressed deer than a 200# field dressed bear. 

Agreed!  The yield is less than a deer it seems.  I think we did a good job getting the most meat possible off this bear.

15 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I hope youre making a pair of bear pants out of that bottom half! Seriously did you save the claws and skull? So many cool trophies on a bear

Actually, I was thinking of making a bunny suit out of the hide.:rofl:    I am having a half mount done... the skull is in the freezer so later on this year I think ill do a euro mount with that.  The rest of the hide I decided to let my son in law and his brother tan it.  They are very interested in trying this and have researched the heck out of the subject.  We're going to keep that as a small throw rug, maybe place it on the sofa at the hunting cabin.  Everything is saved!

DEC sent me a premolar kit in the mail.. so I will need to pull two teeth on the upper jaw just behind the fang

Edited by Arcade Hunter
Text edit
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Arcade Hunter said:

also try a few other dishes to boot.  I'm open for suggestions!

Here is one to try: Cut into some bite size chunks, season to taste, and put into a deep fryer till brown depending on how done you like your meat. Dip in your favorite barbecue or dipping sauce. Just don't cook too long because it will get tough.

Quick & easy and works well on venison also.

12 minutes ago, Steve D said:

Here is one to try: Cut into some bite size chunks, season to taste, and put into a deep fryer till brown depending on how done you like your meat. Dip in your favorite barbecue or dipping sauce. Just don't cook too long because it will get tough.

Quick & easy and works well on venison also.

Thanks Steve D.  That sounds soooo good!

29 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

My buck from Thursday. Gotta like when the passenger seat asks for a seatbelt as is over 50 pounds 

PA chest measurement .....

DD1559CE-BB4B-4B34-9B14-866683549F6E.jpeg

8AA7371E-BBF0-43C0-B8C6-328CD6338616.jpeg

I lol'd for real when I saw this. The guy I used last year does similar, but he's cheaper!

IMG_3006.JPG

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 2

How do you prepare the shanks? I always ground mine.

I’m super picky about what I grind and throw out more than most I suspect - no way do I come close to Wolc’s chest girth results!
I feel that if I grind shanks all that sinew would f-up the good stuff. Instead I make osso busco with the shanks and it’s is phenomenal! However, after it cooks for the hours, I allow it to cool and only serve it after I pick out all the connective shit. Again to throw out anything unsavory but when I am done it’s lick the bowl good - served over a parpadelle pasta(fresh cut wide noodle)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, chefhunter86 said:

Defrosting a neck roast tonight gunna tie it in the morning and get it going for Christmas Eve dinner at my aunts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of pic, please.  Never did a neck roast, and I’ve got two in the freezer to use up!  Thanks,