Live from the butcher block

Chef

I'm telling u guys. Check out the bearded butcher on YouTube. They have a few really good videos 

Oh I know exactly what I’m doing I stop here cause I’m still left with options for each muscle at this point. Just curious what others do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

Oh I know exactly what I’m doing I stop here cause I’m still left with options for each muscle at this point. Just curious what others do

I'm not saying u don't! I also know what I'm doing! But I'm not to proud to learn stuff either! I was just saying! Sorry I commented on ur page! 

I'm not saying u don't! I also know what I'm doing! But I'm not to proud to learn stuff either! I was just saying! Sorry I commented on ur page! 

U shouldn’t be sorry at all sorry if I came

Off rude Didn’t mean to be short my hands are a little dirty at the moment

Dr Grant Woods made a good Youtube video that shows how to trim out the roasts.  I like the "hidden tenderloins" that he indicates how to recover.    That said, grind is usually the first thing we run out of.  We have about a deer and a half of vacuum-sealed roasts left in the freezers from the last couple of years, but we are down to our last two packs of grind.  If and when I get the first one this year, almost all of it will be made into grind, except for the tenderloins and backstraps.   I also hope to make a bone-in neck roast, which I have been trying to do for the last few years, but something always causes me forget about it or wreck it with a bullet.

Chef, looks like a great job!  We leave ours whole like that too, you can always steak it, cut it into chinks or grind it if you want later on.  But i see yours is tied up already so looks like a roast is in your future.   

I would just clean up a little more of the fat and silver skin now.  A fish filet knife works rest in getting under that layer.  

We follow Grant Woods in butchering and he explains it very simply.   That rump roast make great corned venison.  Also really good smoked! 

This is a great thread, I hope this generates into a big database for info on this.  I would like to learn this.

You are close to me when you get a deer, shoot me a pm and if I’m free I’ll be happy to give you a lesson it’s really not very hard.

Chef, looks like a great job!  We leave ours whole like that too, you can always steak it, cut it into chinks or grind it if you want later on.  But i see yours is tied up already so looks like a roast is in your future.   
 I would just clean up a little more of the fat and silver skin now.  A fish filet knife works rest in getting under that layer.  
We follow Grant Woods in butchering and he explains it very simply.   That rump roast make great corned venison.  Also really good smoked! 

Yea that’s exactly why I do it that way, the roasts are from the front shoulders, I almost never do pot roasts from the hinds if I roast them it’s more like a roast beef style. I agree about the fat and sliver that will all get trimmed later I feel when freezing whole it protects the meat a little.

This is pretty cool hearing how others do it!

2 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

You are close to me when you get a deer, shoot me a pm and if I’m free I’ll be happy to give you a lesson it’s really not very hard.

I really appreciate that, THANK YOU.

My fingers are crossed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

You do a nice neat job.  I basically make everything but neck, loins and straps into stew or grind.  So I don’t even break it down by muscle like that.  But that looks good. 

Hind quarters for steaks, ur missing out!

I go MUCH FURTHER than the original pic. I can’t stand feeling tendons or silver skin- even the stuff I grind i pick through. I will take some pics if I am fortunate enough to be able to know one down.

Thankfully I found a great osso bucco recipe for most of the front leg meat and no longer try to fillet out good meat. Now it’s all in a monster pot when it shows up.

None of this should be seen as an insult to how anyone else does it....got some sensitive ones kicking around lately!

2 hours ago, chefhunter86 said:

How far past this stage do you take your hind quarters before you package and freeze. This is where I usually stop and vacuum pack

9e84c09c7b28b6523eb01c09d2e94ee0.jpg

On this pic...starting from top left

Top part is steaked out, next is roast, next is a cube steak. Little parts on the right side are stew meat, then a filleted out piece to be a stuffed steak in a pinwheel, then bottom stew or to grind.

I go MUCH FURTHER than the original pic. I can’t stand feeling tendons or silver skin- even the stuff I grind i pick through. I will take some pics if I am fortunate enough to be able to know one down.
Thankfully I found a great osso bucco recipe for most of the front leg meat and no longer try to fillet out good meat. Now it’s all in a monster pot when it shows up.

None of this should be seen as an insult to how anyone else does it....got some sensitive ones kicking around lately!

lol not taken as a insult at all. I feel the same way about silverskin, and all that crap will come off before use. I just feel it protects it in the freezer. I think I’m gunna do a few sausages this week. I remember you messing around with that a bit. Did you get any good recipes?

• Like 1