Live from the butcher block

Chef

I break down all pieces to completion before I vacuum seal with one exception and that is my jerky muscles. I prefer to leave them whole and seal them because it's much easier to take them out of the freezer and before they fully thaw slice them thin. I use to keep the hind quarter roasts for the Crock-Pot but they tend to be dry so now I just steak them. Same with neck roasts, sometimes I grind, sometimes I cook the whole neck bone-in and it turns out great. Front shoulders are mostly grinds/jerky, backstraps get cleaned completely and chunked into quarters for the grill. Basically when I take the meat out of the freezer I don't want to have to work on it anymore, just open and cook. I'm a clean freak so it takes me a bit longer, I hate tendons and silverskin, I don't even put silver skin in my grinds. The odds and ends, tiny little scraps get cut into small pieces and sealed for the new pup, turns out he loves venison!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm telling u guys. Check out the bearded butcher on YouTube. They have a few really good videos 

Their videos are pretty cool. After watching I got excited and went to their website to check out the product line. Seemed ok but not something I would buy. But the videos are really cool and for
Sure something people should watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Just an update I actually met a butcher that I might try. In Orange County. Talked to the guy and he was very knowledgeable. Actually does whole muscle cuts and not those bs cross cuts a lot of guys do. And he vacuum packs

• Like 1

17 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Have you ever seen Rinella grill the moose bone marrow? Anyone ever try that with deer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I never saw that Tacks, but on a  remote caribou hunt in northern Quebec in 1998, the cook was  cracking caribou bones  and roasting them in the oven to render down the marrow into  a paste, which he used in a lot of his cooking... I am sure Chef is  familiar with this...  

His name was Stefan and he was good cook, although all of us in camp suspected he was cooking in a remote hunting camp because he was a fugitive from justice...Hehehe...

Edited by Pygmy

I never saw that Tacks, but on a  remote caribou hunt in northern Quebec in 1998, the cook was  cracking caribou bones  and roasting them in the oven to render down the marrow into  a paste, which he used in a lot of his cooking... I am sure Chef is  familiar with this...  
His name was Stefan and he was good cook, although all of us in camp suspected he was cooking in a remote hunting camp because he was a fugitive from justice...Hehehe...

Yes I assume he almost used it like butter or cooking oil going forward either that or depending on what he did almost used it like Bouillon

My grandparents used every part of every animal they ever raised. The feather-crested head of a rooster was used to spread oil around the frying pan. The only part of a pig that didn't get used was the squeal.

I'd be a bit cautious with bone marrow today, though. It's where a lot of of the GMO and artificial hormone stuff ends up. I haven't done any deep research into the subject, just a casual heads up.

I'm always amazed to see my friends pay $100 to get their deer butchered and they get a little box w/ little packages marked roast, and I tell them that's a cutlet. I do my own and like the pic I get a lot of meat even off one leg and I trim all the silver skin off and all my trimmings go in a grind bucket minus the fat some silver skin is ok cause its being ground up and not tough. Even the bones I got a thing like a turkey frier that I make stock with , I roast the bones and vegetables[ onions, carrots ,celery ,ect..] then put them in the pot w/ water and let er' go oh yeah I crack bones like the femur shown in the pic and the neck bones if they got meat on them and a little fat its ok I skim that off. I tell my friends I do it cause I make what I want stew, steaks ,roast. grind even cutlets from the leg and bambi burgers. See I live in the city and do it in my neighbor's garage I've even done it in my back yard[ I know its tough in the city when they see a deer their on the phone in a heart beat so im very descreet] and I have everything a vacuum sealer ,grinder but I have used ziplock bags w/ no problems

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Steve Rinella on Meateater does a whole show on how to break down a deer. He does osso buco for the lower leg.  I always grind it.  But def a good tutorial.

I just see the post I got his site on my computer and I got him on netflicks I seen that episode I do that too w/ a saws all you are braising so the silver skin softens up and it will help hold the pieces together when cooking.   oh and I forgot to mention clean .cold and Clorox table spoon to a gal of water that being said do you really know how clean the so called butchers are and even if you are getting your meat from your deer

On 10/20/2018 at 4:19 PM, chefhunter86 said:

Just an update I actually met a butcher that I might try. In Orange County. Talked to the guy and he was very knowledgeable. Actually does whole muscle cuts and not those bs cross cuts a lot of guys do. And he vacuum packs

Any chance that I can get his info if i private message you? You know, if i actually get a deer lol.

Any chance that I can get his info if i private message you? You know, if i actually get a deer lol.

Sure it’s behind true life taxidermy just outside of middle town. Can’t remember the name. But for real if you get one and you want if I’m around we can do it together.

7 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

Sure it’s behind true life taxidermy just outside of middle town. Can’t remember the name. But for real if you get one and you want if I’m around we can do it together.

B&B!? I grew up a mile away! I have had to have passed you on the road!  Dessertos is effin disgusting.... i gre up on Shoddy hollow rd.  Such a small world.   I have a crossbow on order from B&B, and my Taxi gets done at Bobby's Tru Life!

Ps I really appreciate that seriously.  We shall see if I am lucky

Edited by Bionic

B&B!? I grew up a mile away! I have had to have passed you on the road!  Dessertos is effin disgusting.... i gre up on Shoddy hollow rd.  Such a small world.   I have a crossbow on order from B&B, and my Taxi gets done at Bobby's Tru Life!

I think it’s actually dessertos. The guy was cutting meat in the back room at tru life when I brought my buck in. He came out to chat when I walked in. He was working very neat and clean and was vacuum packing the meat. I wonder if things have changed?

Bump for crappy

Atta boy!

da33e5c442f33cfac7b26aab613b65f5.jpg

This was the result of butchering a hind quarter of a small(no no a really small!) doe someone asked me to process for them.
Shank meat top left for osso bucco; cutlets top right for cheesesteaks mostly (sometimes convert that to cubes for stews); and the rest is ground.
Normally there would be more cutlets or some just designated for cubed but this was just about the smallest deer I’ve seen. The backstraps looked like tenderloins. In his defense he was instructed by the landowner to kill all deer....final yield is about 15 pounds of product which ironically does not correspond with its PA Chest girth chart. Hmmm- maybe I measured wrong.

Atta boy!

da33e5c442f33cfac7b26aab613b65f5.jpg&key=01c0e2a43b4e97e8a452b0160e6d47e646f069ea2db4bc4525b478a6976c7bde

This was the result of butchering a hind quarter of a small(no no a really small!) doe someone asked me to process for them.
Shank meat top left for osso bucco; cutlets top right for cheesesteaks mostly (sometimes convert that to cubes for stews); and the rest is ground.
Normally there would be more cutlets or some just designated for cubed but this was just about the smallest deer I’ve seen. The backstraps looked like tenderloins. In his defense he was instructed by the landowner to kill all deer....final yield is about 15 pounds of product which ironically does not correspond with its PA Chest girth chart. Hmmm- maybe I measured wrong.

Why even grind the rest I can tell by the color of the meat that was a super young deer everything but the shank could be cut for like steaks and would be super tender

Here’s my deer fridge which is in a shed in my backyard, fully loaded with the quartered buck from yesterday:

3e97198d4c80679508b256c8f77a96c0.jpg

If you look close there are some backstraps in the buck’s rack already wrapped in freezer paper from a couple deer my buddy took.

I figure I will let these hang until at least Tuesday (checking the fridge temp often) and will break down a piece or two a night after that...hope to take pics and not loose this thread as I go.

10 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

I think it’s actually dessertos. The guy was cutting meat in the back room at tru life when I brought my buck in. He came out to chat when I walked in. He was working very neat and clean and was vacuum packing the meat. I wonder if things have changed?

Not sure, sounds like hes doing things on the side.   Very cool.  Desserto's itself skeeves me out, honestly.   I love Trulife though, they are such great people!

I have had to have passed you on the road, I drive through there daily to work.

Here’s my deer fridge which is in a shed in my backyard, fully loaded with the quartered buck from yesterday:

3e97198d4c80679508b256c8f77a96c0.jpg&key=dc6206171c7f5e0e61f21c1eabeda6b442391c34b8a6702970b3d8d35d7d1ce5

If you look close there are some backstraps in the buck’s rack already wrapped in freezer paper from a couple deer my buddy took.

I figure I will let these hang until at least Tuesday (checking the fridge temp often) and will break down a piece or two a night after that...hope to take pics and not loose this thread as I go.

That’s awesome! Who’s gunna do the mount for you? If you loose the thread pm me and I’ll bump it up. I like that rack you built in the fridge. I may have to buy a old fridge and turn it into a dry aging room

Why even grind the rest I can tell by the color of the meat that was a super young deer everything but the shank could be cut for like steaks and would be super tender

Agreed...but I just don’t love steaks...even those really expensive ones.
Love chili, empanadas, meatloaf, shepherds pie, ragu, venison ravioli, burgers, sausage....all equals ground.
Backstraps and loins get my steak fix- loins get grilled hard and fast, sliced thin on toasted crustinis and onions & straps get a Wellington treatment.

Not sure, sounds like hes doing things on the side.   Very cool.  Desserto's itself skeeves me out, honestly.   I love Trulife though, they are such great people!
I have had to have passed you on the road, I drive through there daily to work.

I don’t live any where near there. I live in West Nyack during the week and jeffersonville on the weekends. But if you’re on 17 a lot then I’m sure you have