Live from the butcher block

Chef

I do the same , I cut them in thirds. Hot pan with butter and garlic and a little Montreal steak seasoning.  Sear each side and keep basting with butter.  Pink in the middle.  Delicious

I do almost the same thing but I split the back straps in half, basically separating the ribeye from the strip loin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I cut them any bigger I can’t eat it all in one sitting then they get reheated which sucks.

I cut them to this size get the cast iron pan nice and hot then maybe 2-3 min each side and they are a nice medium rare.

Allows me to have them seasoned a bunch of different ways as well.

I finished up the entire buck today. 52 packages of vacuum packed goodness. I didn’t weight it to see how much I got. Hardly ever do. Just count the different packages.

• Like 1

If I cut them any bigger I can’t eat it all in one sitting then they get reheated which sucks.

I cut them to this size get the cast iron pan nice and hot then maybe 2-3 min each side and they are a nice medium rare.

Allows me to have them seasoned a bunch of different ways as well.

I finished up the entire buck today. 52 packages of vacuum packed goodness. I didn’t weight it to see how much I got. Hardly ever do. Just count the different packages.

• Like 2

I am processing a 2-1/2 tear old 7 point, that a buddy gave me, and my 3-1/2 year old 6 point over the next few days.  The hanging/aging weather has been good, with the temp inside our insulated garage holding at 33-46 F.  I always skin one evening, and process the next, to split up the work load.  I thought we were going to have plenty of venison, but I am starting to worry a little now, having just got the hide off the 7-pointer last night.   When I picked it up, I only noticed a neck shot.  I picked what looked like a .243 bullet, out of the hide there on the exit side, and the neck roast is toast.   

The rear quarters are also in rough shape.  It looks like another round entered the ham on one side, mushroomed on the way thru, and stopped under the hide on the other side.   At least the backstraps and front shoulders look good.  I will salvage what I can for grind from the rest.  I always trim off all the bloodied meat.

I am also worried about meat-damage on my own buck.  I shot three times at it, striking the backstraps near center and the neck for sure.  I count three holes on the inboard side and one on the exit.  I think my own first shot missed and the other hole may be an arrow or an antler wound.  I will know more after skinning it Tuesday night.

I have no more vacation time left for hunting and will have to do what I can with my last three DMP's and my (2) archery/ML tags to make up any shortfall, on the next three weekends.   Some good news is that the northern zone WMU where my in-laws live has a late ML season. I will have a valid antlerless and either/or tag up there for the weekend of Dec 8/9.  While bear/coyote/grouse hunting up there last weekend, I saw more deer sign than I ever have.  That looks like it will be my best chance at some more meat.  I did not see any coyotes, bear or grouse but I did have one deer in range.

If I can not use my late ML buck tag up there, it will be good around home the following weekend.  The odds of me filling that around here are very slim however.  I have only ever done that on one button buck.  As far as next weekend at home with the slug-gun, the chances are slim there also.  DMP's are tough to fill around here on opening weekend of gun season and nearly impossible in late season.        

Edited by wolc123

I am processing a 2-1/2 tear old 7 point, that a buddy gave me, and my 3-1/2 year old 6 point over the next few days.  The hanging/aging weather has been good, with the temp inside our insulated garage holding at 33-46 F.  

Buddy I hate to break this to you but 46 is not a safe hanging temp. The temperature danger zone is 41-140. I am certified to teach the Service safe class which is all about food safety. Please do some more research if you are going to hang meat

• Like 1

On 11/20/2018 at 8:07 PM, goosifer said:

What's the tabletop/cutting board made of? polypropylene? Where did you get it? Cutting boards are so expensive. I wish there was a service with a heavy duty planer that would refurbish polypropylene cutting boards.

I believe they are made of polypropylene.  They were tossing out a 4x8 sheet at work and I grabbed it.  Have enough left over to replace this one once both sides are used up.

• Like 1

I made some pickled heart also... it should be ready Saturday.  I have another butchering job later on this week... Think you all may find this interesting.  More to follow.... Sodfather and Tacs know what I'm talking about
1867222504_pickledheart.thumb.jpg.b6d468a2c11999207ba72e37d3a50a07.jpg
I also love making the pickled hearts

Drop me a PM with your recipe, I love trying different stuff.

They look great, is that about one heart in that jar?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I made some pickled heart also... it should be ready Saturday.  I have another butchering job later on this week... Think you all may find this interesting.  More to follow.... Sodfather and Tacs know what I'm talking about

1867222504_pickledheart.thumb.jpg.b6d468a2c11999207ba72e37d3a50a07.jpg

Quite the teaser...you breaking down a squatch or something?

15 hours ago, chefhunter86 said:
17 hours ago, wolc123 said:
I  

Buddy I hate to break this to you but 46 is not a safe hanging temp. The temperature danger zone is 41-140. I am certified to teach the Service safe class which is all about food safety. Please do some more research if you are going to hang meat

I appreciate your concern Chef, but I think we are going to be ok with these two, as far as the spoilage is concerned anyhow.  I stuck a thermometer in one of the bullet-holes of the one that still had the hide on tonight and it read 38 deg F.  I finished cutting up the 2-1/2 year old tonight and it was just about right with all the rigor-mortis out of it.  Unfortunately it was badly shot up and lots of meat was lost on the rear quarters.   I ended up with about 55 pounds of boneless meat after trimming out all the bloody stuff.   That is only about 10 pounds more than I got from the big button buck that I killed with my crossbow.   Those broadheads do much less damage than the bullets do.  

Hopefully, there will be a lot less meat damage on the other one.  I will find out when I skin it tomorrow night.  The temps will be in the lower thirties until it is processed on Wednesday night, so no more high-temp worries anyhow.  The PA chart shows 94 pounds of edible from that one but I will be very thankful if I get 75.   If I get that, we will have enough venison to last until October 15 next year when I include the roughly 25 pounds that I got from the doe fawn that I cut up last week.   

12 hours ago, TACC said:

I also love making the pickled hearts

Drop me a PM with your recipe, I love trying different stuff.

They look great, is that about one heart in that jar?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Tacc, That is one heart in the jar and I used the first recipe that popped up on a google search.  If its awesome, I'll post it!

11 hours ago, crappyice said:

So the pile in the second picture??? Are you grinding ALL that? Where is that from? Rib meat? Neck? Brisket flaps?

Crappyice, I do grind all of that as you mentioned.  I will go through more ground than roasts... I will usually grind the front shoulders, brisket, rib meat, and neck meat.  Any other smaller pieces left over from trimming and the leg meat gets ground also.  I did get about 15 lbs of ground off this deer, 3 nice roasts and some nice thick steaks.  The back straps get cut in 6 pieces.  I like to make chops with these but I won't cut them into chops until I am ready to cook.  I'll share the recipe in the "what's for dinner" thread for the chops next time I make them... 

49 minutes ago, SmokeinTN said:

Put up canned venison for years that's some good eats.

we vacuum seal everything but if we have any left from last year that is a prime candidate for gettign canned.  It seems fewer and fewer folks can venison. It is one of my favorite ways to eat it.  I have an All American 21 quart canner and it is so easy to do. 

• Like 1

Crappyice, I do grind all of that as you mentioned.  I will go through more ground than roasts... I will usually grind the front shoulders, brisket, rib meat, and neck meat.  Any other smaller pieces left over from trimming and the leg meat gets ground also.  I did get about 15 lbs of ground off this deer, 3 nice roasts and some nice thick steaks.  The back straps get cut in 6 pieces.  I like to make chops with these but I won't cut them into chops until I am ready to cook.  I'll share the recipe in the "what's for dinner" thread for the chops next time I make them... 

Thanks-I must say I am surprised at the amount of silver skin/white stuff that is happening in your pile. Or maybe I am foolish for throwing out so much “good stuff” because of the connective tissue I can’t trim out.

Don’t be insulted by this - I am just trying to figure out if I am overdoing the processing and being wasteful- yet I would be quite turned off by my meat if I’m chewing with sinew in my grind

• Like 1

On 11/24/2018 at 8:22 AM, Moho81 said:

Try putting a single light bulb in the refrigerator that’s always on. I use a work shop style with the metal guard.

Something about the warmth of the bulb is enough to warm the fridge occasionally and make the compressor kick on and keep the freezer working.

I’ve done it with a compact fluorescent and it worked for me. I’d assume LED would not work because they really don’t give off heat.

if it's a retrofit LED bulb its base is a heat sink and it'll give off plenty of heat to keep the LED chips cool.

i forgot about this and missed a lot of discussion.

seems i've always been doing it the same. straps, tenderloins, and hind quarters get put into specific cuts.  eye round, top, and bottom round all left whole but trimmed to pure meat only. cut each into what i want during meal prep before cooking. back straps are cut into 1/3's or quarter length and left whole. keeping it whole like chef said protects it better and leaves me options. if i'm not in a hurry neck roasts, shanks, and brisket (each layer trimmed out to look like skirt steak) get packaged separately too. many times though it all goes into the grind pile.  if it's an old buck grind goes through twice. doe i now just do once through. i'm usually using a mid to larger sized plate. i pull the auger after every 20 lbs or less to clean out the fat build up or connective tissue so nothing gets worked through.  i trimmed all the silver skin, fat, etc before vac sealing. seems to be well enough protected with vac sealing and i don't have the time trim it prepping for dinner. wife won't do it then either. everything gets vac sealed but if i'm running low on bags i use 1lb sleeves for ground meat. i cut it all up pretty well with little waste but i am guilty of leaving the rib meat on the carcass if the guts or stomach is nicked or torn from shot or during field dressing. same for flank steaks or depending on how it's dragged. rarely can the diaphragm be saved with blood klots, stomach leaking, or from the shot just wrecking it. i feel the stomach acid effects the meat even if you rinse the carcass out well and soon.

not setup for canning well at all but have been wanting to try it since Culver keeps bringing it up. just haven't committed to doing so. my grandparents and great grandparents on my dad's side canned everything. grandparents had to with 6 boys and 2 girls, plus themselves and whom else stopped in.

47 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Thanks-I must say I am surprised at the amount of silver skin/white stuff that is happening in your pile. Or maybe I am foolish for throwing out so much “good stuff” because of the connective tissue I can’t trim out.

Don’t be insulted by this - I am just trying to figure out if I am overdoing the processing and being wasteful- yet I would be quite turned off by my meat if I’m chewing with sinew in my grind

I wonder about that too sometimes. My friend and I trim all white stuff,which takes a lot of time. 

I think the silverskin,sinew affects flavor more than texture if you grind it.