We Grow Big Does Up Here

wildcat junkie

OK how about some field dressed weight guesses for this big mama.

HvrpM0Y.jpg

Compare her to this big spike buck.

k9znm2w.jpg

I'm guessing the big spike would dress about 120-130#, the small one about 100-110# The doe is clearly much bigger. I would not be surprised if this is another 160#+ doe.

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, steve863 said:

Hard to estimate weight from a picture, but all three deer look real nice to me.  Any of those three would get shot at if they came my way.

Well, if you look closely in the upper left corner of either picture, about 1/4 of the way down and 1/4 of the way to the right, you'll see my tripod stand about 250 yds away.

HvrpM0Y.jpg

k9znm2w.jpg

The "penthouse" stand is about 70 yds to the left. Look real close in the center of the picture and you can barely make out the rectangle shape nestled between a hemlock and white pine.

sdNsuqx.jpg

Here it is from the opposite direction where we enter it.

lEcYOht.jpg

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 1

on the co-op we get around 100 doe every year in WMU 4C. the biggest doe are in the 150's and 160's for dressed weight. haven't gotten any heavier yet in the handful of years we've been checking all the deer in. i'd believe she's around 160lb dressed weight.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

on the co-op we get around 100 doe every year in WMU 4C. the biggest doe are in the 150's and 160's for dressed weight. haven't gotten any heavier yet in the handful of years we've been checking all the deer in. i'd believe she's around 160lb dressed weight.

That would be my guess too. I posted about a 160#+ dressed doe that I killed back around 2003 and many thought I was exaggerating. Hunting pressure here isn't that high and many will not shoot does anyway. The block of land that I am located on is about 7 square miles between roads so there is a lot of acreage for them to hide in. Housing is sparse along the roads too.

• Like 2

That would be my guess too. I posted about a 160#+ dressed doe that I killed back around 2003 and many thought I was exaggerating. Hunting pressure here isn't that high and many will not shoot does anyway. The block of land that I am located on is about 7 square miles between roads so there is a lot of acreage for them to hide in. Housing is sparse along the roads too.
Weight has seemed to vary a lot. Mature skeletal framed 4.5+ yr old doe seem to vary in weight from 120lbs-150lbs for a lot of them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 2:53 PM, fasteddie said:

This gal looks pretty hefty 

STC_0085.JPG

STC_0086.JPG

STC_0087.JPG

No wonder that doe looks big, Eddie...She has 4 extra legs  !!

Reminds of something that happened to me quite a few years ago...I shot an adult doe and she went running..I knew I had drilled her through the boiler room and could see the blood squirting as she ran...I walked up to the place where she stood , and there lay a button buck, shot through the head...The 12 gauge Win BRI slug had passed through the doe and hit the button buck squarely in the head...I never saw him until I walked up to him...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Reminds of something that happened to me quite a few years ago...I shot an adult doe and she went running..I knew I had drilled her through the boiler room and could see the blood squirting as she ran...I walked up to the place where she stood , and there lay a button buck, shot through the head...The 12 gauge Win BRI slug had passed through the doe and hit the button buck squarely in the head...I never saw him until I walked up to him...

I noticed the extra legs .... two fer one sale ?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pygmy said:

I shot a buck once at the usual 240 yd distance. He was facing my right when I shot and I was not able to recover from the recoil soon enough to see what direction he went.

Since the long shooting lane is quite rough and difficult to walk, I walked 100 yds back to my truck parked behind the tripod in the hayfield.  I got in my truck, went to the house to get wifey and drove the roundabout route on the horse trail that leads to the back end. I parked the truck and walked around the corner where I found a small spot of blood a few yards to the left of where the buck had been standing at the shot. Assuming that the deer had whirled when hit, I spent the better part of an hour with wifey looking  for more blood, to no avail.

We had given up and as we walked back to the truck. a spotted some blood smeared on the waist high ferns on the side of the trail. It had not been obvious when walking in the opposite direction going in. Assuming that the buck had done a fish hook move I followed the now obvious blood trail back to where the buck had stood when I shot. I reversed direction and followed the blood back to where it met the horse trail and soon picked it up on the brush across the trail. (there was little of no blood on the ground) We found the buck about 15 yds beyond the horse trail.

As I looked back on the what was going on leading up to the shot I remembered there had been a doe standing in the shooting lane when the buck stepped out. It seems that the bullet had passed through the buck and struck the doe resultung is a probable non lethal hit that resulted in just enough blood to send us on a wild goose chase in the wrong direction.

The buck only had 1 bullet wound that just clipped the lungs and took out the liver. There was little blood spurting from the wound but it had soaked his flank and rubbed off on the ferns and brush as he ran. He went less than 75 yds after the hit.

Edited by wildcat junkie

10 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

Weight has seemed to vary a lot. Mature skeletal framed 4.5+ yr old doe seem to vary in weight from 120lbs-150lbs for a lot of them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

We saw this doe several times last year. She is one of the biggest deer that frequents our woods including bucks. She is easy to pick out not only because of her size, but her dark coloration. The only deer I have seen over the last 4 years that appeared larger than her was the 205# 10-point pig I shot last year.

She never shows up in our late ML season and we are not allowed to shoot does in the early ML season.

l'll be in the penthouse again this year on the late ML season to see if I can get a crack at her with a .535 round ball.

Wildcat, are you up near Malone? Years ago I hunted with my uncle up there, and he shot a HUGE doe! Never put her on the scale, but that was by far the biggest doe I've ever seen. As I remember, we had to drag her four or five hundred yards. I was quite a bit younger then, but still recall that drag! 

5 hours ago, grampy said:

Wildcat, are you up near Malone? Years ago I hunted with my uncle up there, and he shot a HUGE doe! Never put her on the scale, but that was by far the biggest doe I've ever seen. As I remember, we had to drag her four or five hundred yards. I was quite a bit younger then, but still recall that drag! 

I'm about 25 miles WNW of Malone.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Belo said:

she's a mature breeder for sure.  3.5 and up easily. I would put her closer to 150 and lighter by the time rifle opens up. Does can be deceiving in size. 

I think she's older than 3 1/2. She's been turning up for the last few seasons and she was a horse in 2016 which was the 1st time we noticed her size. I wouldn't be surprised if she 5 1/2 or older.

In 1999 we were noticing a large hoofprint that was deformed. We thought it was a buck due to the size of the print. In 2003 I killed a huge solitary doe that was 42 inches heart girth. She turned out to be the "buck" with the deformed hoof. She had to be over 5 years old.

16 hours ago, Pygmy said:

my uncle did that same thing in some thick stuff and it turned out to be a 120 class 10 pointer. some dumb luck there.

the largest framed doe i've shot was a horse of a thing that ended up being over 8.5 yrs old. didn't send in teeth of what little she had left. she only weighed 95 lbs. doe seem to peak in weight just like bucks at around 6.5 yrs old from the data we've gotten so far.

1 hour ago, wildcat junkie said:

I think she's older than 3 1/2. She's been turning up for the last few seasons and she was a horse in 2016 which was the 1st time we noticed her size. I wouldn't be surprised if she 5 1/2 or older.

In 1999 we were noticing a large hoofprint that was deformed. We thought it was a buck due to the size of the print. In 2003 I killed a huge solitary doe that was 42 inches heart girth. She turned out to be the "buck" with the deformed hoof. She had to be over 5 years old.

yeah easily could be 5.5