Chasing already? 10/20

regulat0r

Driving to my dads house just a few minutes ago, I see a large doe jogging through the woods with that tell tale trot like she is being chased. I stop the car to watch her and sure enough, about 40 yards behind her, is a nice young 8 pnt with his nose to the ground, grunting, and quickly walking after her. I watched this for a while. The doe would run ahead and the buck would follow with his nose to the ground and then pick his head up and sniff the air before continuing. Is this normal for this time of year? Also, if so, should i start using estrous drags when i walk into my stand? What do you think?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, regulat0r said:

Driving to my dads house just a few minutes ago, I see a large doe jogging through the woods with that tell tale trot like she is being chased. I stop the car to watch her and sure enough, about 40 yards behind her, is a nice young 8 pnt with his nose to the ground, grunting, and quickly walking after her. I watched this for a while. The doe would run ahead and the buck would follow with his nose to the ground and then pick his head up and sniff the air before continuing. Is this normal for this time of year? Also, if so, should i start using estrous drags when i walk into my stand? What do you think?

We saw a two year old pushing a doe with a fawn week one.   I think the older guys wait a bit longer.  I don’t use drags or attractants so can’t comment on that.  

It's kind of an interesting dynamic. The younger bucks are eager for GO and the older does are eager for GO.

The bucks are looking for ANYTHING that might be a receptive doe. I've had them come after me for farting in a ground blind. The older does seem to be hoping that if a young guy gets the deed done she won't have to have some 250 pound 12 point buck climbing on her back. Wild kingdom!

• Like 1

Do whatever Moog is doing, hard pressed to find a more successful hunter, his group knocks them down, lol.  I do however use scents and IMO, it's not too early.  8:00 This morning I had a spike licking a branch i sprayed with estrous urine.  He was 10 yards but I didn't want to take him.  I videoed it for my children so I can show them when I get home.  I love using it but be aware you can spook them too!

There is always an early doe or two,and the bucks would screw in august if the does would stand for it. I think the younger bucks are over eager,but the old ones will be paying close attention by now. I will thaw out the tarsal glands i saved from a stanky doe and a buck from last year very soon,that is all i use for scent attractant. Hasn't really worked for me yet,but i figure it is as natural as it gets.

Imo, only the young and dumb ones run does, period. The only time a mature buck runs is to fend off another buck while he's tending a hot doe. The big boys have presence, and when they lunge after a few does and don't get what they want, they gone.

As far as scents go, doe in heat, rutting buck etc, they will also bring in the younger bucks. Yes, you may bring in a mature in between hot does but most likely you will be attracting younger ones only.

The trick to rut hunting is knowing where the does are bedded and hunting the down wind side of the bedding area. Stay scent free, pay close attention to the wind, super stealth entry, score big !

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk