Ready for the SZ opener on November 3rd

wolc123

It is looking like the rut should be in full swing by then, based on the signs I saw in the woods today.  I trimmed some shooting lanes, got the seats set up in all my stands and blinds, and placed a new pop-up blind today.   Hopefully, those deer will get used to those changes over the next couple weeks.  I am going to give them a break now and head up to the Northern zone with my rifles next weekend.    I have never filled a gun buck tag before my archery buck tag, but this could be the year.     

• Like 1

Buck bombs are on sale at dicks for $5 a can. I have a feeling the woods are going to be electric that weekend. I can’t wait work has been so crazy I haven’t been able to go out at all. Told the boss I can’t work that weekend or the following 5 weekends after that!

• Like 1

I have done well on Veterans day with the crossbow.  It falls on a Saturday this year, so I took a vacation day for the Friday before.  Two conditions would have to be met for me to work a weekend during crossbow or gun season for deer: Pigs would need to fly and hell would need to freeze over.   

1 hour ago, Cory said:

Buck bombs are on sale at dicks for $5 a can. I have a feeling the woods are going to be electric that weekend. I can’t wait work has been so crazy I haven’t been able to go out at all. Told the boss I can’t work that weekend or the following 5 weekends after that!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fasteddie said:

I have yet to try and see if I can draw my Crossbow . A regular procrastinator ... that's me .

If the rope pulley cocking device does not work for you, they sell crank types for most models.  It looks like they average about $ 100.   

12 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

Not sure where to check for a crank . I have the Centerpoint Sniper 370 .

A guy on the crossbow nation forum said that an $89 PSE model that he got from Amazon worked on his Sniper.   Others on that thread said that they exchanged the hooks from the ones that came on their cranks, with those supplied with the Sniper rope pulley device, and it worked better.  

• Like 2

I'm waiting for the air bow to become legal. Seems less complicated than the crossbow. Saw a couple on-line...seems like a cool weapon. Maybe in 10 years or less, they will be legal and put the crossbow out of business. Some may see it as progress...some make think it's criminal, but as technology advances, things change. We'll see.

I’m very much looking forward to Xbow season ! It’s a roll of the dice each day I’m on stand as too if I can even draw my compound , add in the rut and the nearby corn being cut by then ,it’s all I’m waiting for .

• Like 2

15 hours ago, wolc123 said:

If the rope pulley cocking device does not work for you, they sell crank types for most models.  It looks like they average about $ 100.   

I don't want to get too soft or I will have to start wearing one of those pussy hats . :taunt:

• Like 1

Soooo , I went down in the basement to see if I could cock the crossbow . No go . Forgot that I had to have it on "FIRE" and the hooks over not under . Still no go . I took my backup cocking device and shortened the rope and tried again . BINGO ! Shot the X-bow a couple times just to make sure and will have to check it out in the back yard this weekend . 

• Like 9

I'm looking forward to using a crossbow this year. First year they were legal, I shot a doe, with my Barnett Raptor. That is the only deer I've ever killed with one, and really haven't hunted with it much since. Preferring to hunt with my compound. But this year I'm going to try to get a buck with it! Should be fun!

Picked up some Muzzy Trocar Hex heads, for the Centerpoint Sniper this week. Switching from the NAP Slingblades. My buddy bought the Muzzys, and after checking them out, I really liked them! Four blades are better than two I think. And they fly very nice and accurate. 

• Like 2

I will get in all the crossbow hunting I can on the 3rd, 4th, 9th, 10th, & 11th of November.  Prior to that, I hope to punch my gun buck tag up in the Adirondack's this weekend.  I have never done that before the archery tag.  The weather conditions up there this weekend look perfect for still-hunting with my new rifle (open-sighted Remlin 336 BL lever-action 30/30).  I have been waiting two years for the right weather conditions to take that gun hunting.  The rainier and windier the better.  

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I will get in all the crossbow hunting I can on the 3rd, 4th, 9th, 10th, & 11th of November.  Prior to that, I hope to punch my gun buck tag up in the Adirondack's this weekend.  I have never done that before the archery tag.  The weather conditions up there this weekend look perfect for still-hunting with my new rifle (open-sighted Remlin 336 BL lever-action 30/30).  I have been waiting two years for the right weather conditions to take that gun hunting.  The rainier and windier the better.  

Good Luck ... Lever Action all the  way !

I just picked up a crossbow on Saturday and I am finally excited about something this season!  I have had no real interest in these things, but bought one on a whim this weekend.  After shooting it for a few minutes I am really impressed, it's fun, stupid accurate and holy crap do these things hit hard. I'm off next week so I'm going to give it a try. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, FatBoyD said:

I just picked up a crossbow on Saturday and I am finally excited about something this season!  I have had no real interest in these things, but bought one on a whim this weekend.  After shooting it for a few minutes I am really impressed, it's fun, stupid accurate and holy crap do these things hit hard. I'm off next week so I'm going to give it a try. 

If you have not done it yet, I would recommend a few practice shots with your broadheads, especially if you will be using the fixed-blade type.   Others have reported big differences in the point of impact compared to field tips  of the same weight and I have experienced it myself with one brand (fortunately on the target range).    I shoot 125 grain broadheads and field points with my 300 fps crossbow.  Muzzy fixed blades and o-ring style mechanicals fly identical to field tips in mine, Wasp fixed blades were very close (within 2" out to 40 yards),  but Allen fixed blade 125 gr were way off (about 8" low and 6" to the left at 40 yards).   They say the differences can be even greater with higher speed crossbows.  

• Like 1