Been Waiting For This!

DirtTime

Pretty good morning. We were in and set up just as the light started to break in the sky. Set the wife up in a pretty open area so she had a better chance of seeing anything. Hunted back near our camp site area. The deer travel through this shallow ravine on the north side to get to a bedding area, so I wanted her to have the best chance. I hunted about 150 yards away just around a bend in some thick stuff overlooking a flat just above the same ravine. About 15  minutes after first I had a doe mosey her way past me coming from the direction where the wife was set up. Not legal shooting time even it had been a buck. I wondered if the wife had seen the doe as well. Yup! Just like I had patterned them in years past, she went right past the wife, up past me, and into the real nasty thick stuff. Betting she then went down into the back of the swamp and bedded down.

At around 10AM I got a text it was time for hot coffee and something to eat. When I got to where she was and she turned around her face was pretty red. WIND BURN! So we hiked out to the car and met my buddy at the house. We chatted for a bit with him and talked about the afternoon hunt. We called it a day. Next week weather permitting, if the wind is harsh, I am going to insist she wear my balaclava, I always offer it and she always says no.

We may have only seen a lone doe and no bucks, but at least every time up on this land I have her on deer even if they are does. This year she's hunting early enough to be out for the rut, so those does I have patterned will start bringing the bucks around.

We both had a great time being out there, and that's what matters most! Enjoying nature.

I will say this, I was happy as a bear in a honey shop to be carrying a rifle and not a bow.

Edited by Rob...
  • Like 1

I guess this thread may turn into a journal of sorts. Heading back up in the morning. Buddy sent me a text, they have two inches of snow up there. Alarm is set for 4AM. My back is screaming after helping the in-laws move again this year. So I will have to wait until the alarm goes off to estimate how my back feels, and the wifes ankle.

Hunting a different spot, as long as our bodies and the wind cooperate.

Good luck to anyone hunting in the morning!

Never made it. I had all I could do to get to the living room after I shut off the alarm at ( after a hit the 'snooze'  once) a little after 4AM.

If you ever want to feel your lowest, have physical/medical issues that impact the people around you. The wife wasn't upset, she knows how my back is. But I still felt like a piece $H** not getting her in the woods seeing she has limited time to hunt. 

This morning was odd as hell. Plenty of tracks in the snow. Not a deer sighted! Plenty of other fresh sign near the camp site, scat, and even a new scrape. 

Set the wife up and then I walked a back ridge looking for a good set for next Sunday. Found an area leading into the swamp and thick stuff with a very well used trail I hand't notices before, I thank the snow for this one.

Next Sunday I want to try and get her set up back there.

• 2 weeks later...

So today was the wifes last day out. We see didn't anything up North, but man was there a lot of sign in the area we were hunting this morning. Tracks everywhere!

The plan was hunt until 10:00AM and see how that goes. The wife sat on a stump using my heat seat, but the clothing on the back of her legs got soaked ( she was using my hot pad seat ). Temps were hovering around 24-30* and no wind, great conditions, but the hunt wasn't worth her getting frostbite, wet clothes and below freezing temps are not a great combo, so we called it at 9:30AM.

I have to work setting up and taking down my blinds over the Summer. If I can get the take down of those damn things under control I can get her in more spots on that land.

So, plan for her next season, better boots, a good hunting chair she actually likes and is comfy in, get take down of our blinds under control, and have plenty of propane for the Buddy Heater for her.

s1.jpg

• Like 1