Pheasant

Went out in the cold temps and high winds with my cocker this morning and had a blast. She flushed the first bird out of some swamps and I winged it but that little 23 pound dog ran the bird down and took a beating retrieving him. With the might of a much larger dog. My second bird was one of two she flushed out of a thickly undergrown hedge row. Knocked him down with one shot of the 16 ga. And she retrieved him with a quickness also dead and just about to hand. She flushed two more on the way back while we were checking known woodcock areas out. No timber doodles today though. 2d11c133b780b80fc49105b433ef5a6e.jpg&key=9212fe2fef85666e878958b25f5418c4c84dc6e78a158f74677387ecb845c94e

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Congrats, my friend  !!  That shotgun appears to be a rem 11-48....My first repeating shotgun was an 11-48  in 16 gauge ..I bought it used for $85  in 1964....I hope you gave the pup an extra treat or two this evening for a good day's work...<<GRIN>>….

Pygmy basically it is an 11-48 but it’s a sportsman 48 factory limited to 3 rounds. Bought new by my great grandfather around 1954 and hunted with by him,my grandfather,father and now me. As seen we all are/were hard hunting men but she still functions flawlessly and look forward to the day my son takes it afield.

• Like 1

VERY cool....I  had a Sportsman 48 in 28 gauge ….As you say, identical to the 11-48 except  a 3 shot  capacity...Shucks, I never put more than 3 shells in my 11-48 16 gauge anyway....I killed my first  limit of grouse  with it opening day  in 1965....4 grouse with 6 shots....One of only  2 or 3 times I ever killed a limit of grouse in a day...  That was back when my reflexes were quicker and you could flush 20 or 30 grouse per day...Hehehe....

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Pygmy said:

VERY cool....I  had a Sportsman 48 in 28 gauge ….As you say, identical to the 11-48 except  a 3 shot  capacity...Shucks, I never put more than 3 shells in my 11-48 16 gauge anyway....I killed my first  limit of grouse  with it opening day  in 1965....4 grouse with 6 shots....One of only  2 or 3 times I ever killed a limit of grouse in a day...  That was back when my reflexes were quicker and you could flush 20 or 30 grouse per day...Hehehe....

There happens to be an 11-48 in 16ga in my safe. Has a poly choke and great gun for small game. Slugs are a different story. I can throw them more accurately with my arm. lol

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 16. ga hunter said:

Culver I believe the slugs are due to the ploy choke. Mine throws them well to 75 yrds easy. Also have one with a poly that I picked up a year ago need to take it down and clean it as it won’t cycle below 40 *

Are you sure you have the friction rings adjusted properly ?   Makes a big difference, especially in cold weather...Check online for friction ring adjustment for Browning A-5..The actions are basically the same..

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, 16. ga hunter said:

Culver I believe the slugs are due to the ploy choke. Mine throws them well to 75 yrds easy. Also have one with a poly that I picked up a year ago need to take it down and clean it as it won’t cycle below 40 *

I was told years ago it was because of the polychoke. Tried it on range session and it was pitiful. I opted to stay with my old Eastfield pump shotgun with just the bead up font. no Vented rib even. That one could throw a pumpkinball.