Yesterday I saw so many deer it was ridiculous

Core

As I've often said, I've spent my time in the woods without deer--trip after trip without seeing them. Yesterday was absolutely absurd.

I got into stand around 20 min before sunrise (sunrise 7:35). Kicked two up walking in. At sunrise four deer start to approach. They are stopped by four more deer from another direction. Ultimately the first four are put off and take off. As the second four are nearing me, four more (not the original four, btw) come in and startle the second group of four.

Shortly thereafter three small deer come by. Now it's about around 8:40 so I assume I'm probably done for the day. Also I'm thinking everything I've seen are doe.

Not done. Two bucks come in, once massive. They actually start to butt antlers in front of me. Never seen it before. By 9:00 my daughter and I leave.

We come back later two hours before sunset. We kick a deer up while I'm setting my stand, see four more in a field that get startled as I'm climbing. Then two more 40 yards downwind catch us by wind and spend 10 min standing there thinking about what is wrong. They circle around just out of range slightly put off by us and eat in the field next to the woods I'm in. Thereafter a very good size buck comes by and magically is just out of range until he walks by at 25 yards. I mean this guy just got incredibly lucky, he was within 5 yards for a long time just magically going slightly beyond my comfort zone. Finally he's broadside. I draw and I'm very, very close to shooting but he's moving and I think better of it. I realize I forgot to stop him and scold myself for it. Then a baby comes under my stand very slowly. Also at one point I saw two deer at 50 yards sprinting through the woods (upwind of me).

Finally at 6:15 (5 min before sunset) four more deer in the field. Can't call them in of course because deer ignore my calls.

As for shot opportunities miraculously damn few indeed despite gobs of deer (largely this is because the biggest pack of deer tends to be the lead and they have all these eyes behind ready to blow, so it's tricky in the large groups). Also my daughter was on a ladder stand 10 yards away that has all the deer come about 10-20 yards to its north and with me 10 yards south on a climber, I'm going to move it. 

Edited by Core
  • Like 7

Yesterday seemed to have a lot of deer movement based on my Cuddelink networks and Spartans.

Probably all needing to get on their feet after the weather the past few days.

Sounds like a fun day - makes you not worry too much about getting one into the truck bed. It'll happen!

• Like 1