Are public land hunters too cagey?

cdbing

I hunt public land almost exclusively and for the first 15-20 years I was very cagey about sharing info with other hunters. Now, not so much.

Seeing a discussion on the live from the woods thread about Phade's posting of deer pics made me think of my thought evolution. Two experiences with generous strangers I encountered on public land hunts helping to put me on deer, led to two of my best hunting experiences, including my best buck.

Now I am more inclined to be open about what and where I have seen deer with folks who are putting in the effort. Kind of like following the example set by those 2 guys I had only met briefly.

Here' s a photo of my best buck. I will be forever grateful for the elderly gent who set me up for success.

How has your thinking evolved?...or has it?

fa6c2fa7a6dbf6f4b927dca09b53e5b8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, cdbing said:

I hunt public land almost exclusively and for the first 15-20 years I was very cagey about sharing info with other hunters. Now, not so much.

Seeing a discussion on the live from the woods thread about Phade's posting of deer pics made me think of my thought evolution. Two experiences with generous strangers I encountered on public land hunts helping to put me on deer, led to two of my best hunting experiences, including my best buck.

Now I am more inclined to be open about what and where I have seen deer with folks who are putting in the effort. Kind of like following the example set by those 2 guys I had only met briefly.

Here' s a photo of my best buck. I will be forever grateful for the elderly gent who set me up for success.

Pay it forward. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cdbing said:

Yea that's  nice  , but you forgot to even mention what zone that was taken in ?

I hunt private but with my time limited to get away for an entire weekend I want to start hunting the public that is close to me. My biggest issue is since I haven't scouted it yet I don't want to go in during the season and mess up other peoples hunts. Here is a time where info would be great. If not I will go scouting in the winter and spring and hunt it next year. I would have no issue sharing info. I learned mostly everything on my own and would have loved to have someone show me the ropes. I enjoy helping and teaching others as long as I didn't show them my tree and when I come in the next morning that's where they are. Respect and boundaries. 

• Like 2

It only took me two,hours in line ,wasn’t that bad . JK

I only waited in line for Shania Twain ,and Scotty from the real Star Trek , I had Scotty sign a book “ Beam me up Larry .” Shania just kept undressing me with her eyes, it was a bit creepy .

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, BKhunter said:

I hunt private but with my time limited to get away for an entire weekend I want to start hunting the public that is close to me. My biggest issue is since I haven't scouted it yet I don't want to go in during the season and mess up other peoples hunts. Here is a time where info would be great. If not I will go scouting in the winter and spring and hunt it next year. I would have no issue sharing info. I learned mostly everything on my own and would have loved to have someone show me the ropes. I enjoy helping and teaching others as long as I didn't show them my tree and when I come in the next morning that's where they are. Respect and boundaries. 

Respect and boundaries are a rare value these days it seems. 

2 hours ago, cdbing said:

My entire family lived in PA til recently for a while the guys I met on the small parcels were the only "hunting buddies" I had up here.

We text while we are hunting and keep each other informed.

I also offer up my standard ladder stands.  I figure it's free scouts on already pressured deer, and no one takes me up on it anyway.

What's the difference it's public land anyway.

I'm like this with any other friendly seemingly responsible hunter I come across.

Do onto others and whatnot.

Not too mention my info isn't as good as I think it is anyhoo!

Got my best archery buck (my avatar) in a stand in Hewitt State Forest...told all my local "buddies" how to get there.

Edited by OtiscoPaul

10 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I know a couple great spots on Coyle Hill that Id share with anyone, I never get down there anymore. They’re pretty obvious to anyone taking a short walk but I always saw and killed deer there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Is that the spot just downwind of the scrapes and rubs?   Or the one next to the deer crossing sign?

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 2

The problem with state land is you get great people and some real bad apples. I spent 10-15 years hunting state land. The first few years I would tell people generally where I was standing. Next time I would see them combing the area until they saw me if I was hunting. Then there would be a treestand in the area! I became pretty tight lipped after that.

To the other side, I also met some great people in there. One guy I go on out of state hunts with and have become great friends. So it is definitely a double edge sword. 

• Like 2

That's a giant. How did he set you up for success? Did he just point you in the right direction?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The deer was taken in 1c, on County land in Yaphank. We basically met and chatted at the parking spot and discussed where each of us would be hunting so as not to crowd each other. He favored an open area closeby and I tend to hunt a bit further in where ther is more cover. We would hunt only about 200 yards apart. After the hunt, I told him about the doe and fawn I saw. He told me about the deer he'd seen with the "yellow antlers" and he encouraged me to hunt that area the following day as he would not be hunting.

The following afternoon, I was back in the same area, but set up closer to where he described seeing the deerbut still in cover that I prefer. The deer showed up and responded to the grunt call and the rest is history.

• Like 2

Ive got no problem taking guys onto pieces i hunt and helping them get setup. But i dont give out my better spots anymore.  Ive taken guys out to my better spots and the next week they have 4 or 5 guys going into them.  Public land not much i can do. but dont move in on spots you didnt scout.  Just that being respectful of the persons spots.  Theres 1 piece of stateland i put alot of time into and theres 3 groups that mainly hunt it.  We all have 3-4 hunting buddies and there is an unwritten rule between us that you dont go into their area.