Sunset shooting

phillifan22

Damn !!  I think I have a syllabus from the 60s around here someplace...I'll have to look it up..

I  can't remember IMPORTANT stuff worth a crap, but I do remember that when I began deer hunting in the mid 1960s that the hunting hours for deer ( and most other game  were 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM....

Damn !!  I think I have a syllabus from the 60s around here someplace...I'll have to look it up..
I  can't remember IMPORTANT stuff worth a crap, but I do remember that when I began deer hunting in the mid 1960s that the hunting hours for deer ( and most other game  were 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM....
A syllabus...what's that? Was it written in cuneiform?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

Okay...That didn't take long...According to the 1959-1960  NYS Hunting-Fishing-Trapping guide,  the legal hours for deer hunting in the southern zone were  7:00 AM to 5:00 PM....  The gun season for deer that year was Nov 16- Dec 1....The archery season was 14 days preceeding the gun season... No Sunday hunting, of course...

I am not sure when the sunrise-sunset  rule took effect, but when I was hunting from 1965-1970 ( prior to  entering the military) it was still 7:00 to 5;00.. I'm sure a few of the older local SZ hunters, such as Airedale, can back me up on this..

• Like 1

Just for shits and giggles, here are the license prices  ..

Hunting and fishing  combo ( small game only)  $5.75

Hunting ( small game)                                               $3,25

Hunting ( big game)                                                    $3.25

Archery( big game)                                                      $5,25

Fishing                                                                            $3.25

Trapping                                                                         $3.25

• Like 1

Just for shits and giggles, here are the license prices  ..
Hunting and fishing  combo ( small game only)  $5.75
Hunting ( small game)                                               $3,25
Hunting ( big game)                                                    $3.25
Archery( big game)                                                      $5,25
Fishing                                                                            $3.25
Trapping                                                                         $3.25
Hope you bought a lifetime back at those prices

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The old sunrise to sunset rule made more sense when deer rifles were predominately adorned with iron sights.
Good quality optics make it easy to pick out antlers under most conditions long after sunset. If you can ID antlers and see your reticle against the target, you can see well enough to make an ethical shot.
That brings up my pet peeve about illuminated reticles. I can see my duplex reticle long after I can ID antlers so what is the need for an illuminated reticle on a deer rifle?

Ever shot a low powered scope with an illuminated reticle with a true 1x or very close to it with both eyes open at moving game? “Biden aiming concepts” is what he pros call it. Truly makes target acquisition much faster with an illuminated dot than using crosshairs even heavy ones. If I’m still hunting/ tracking with a scoped rifle it has an illuminated reticle. It’s worth toting the extra few ounces. I’ve shot thousands and thousands of rounds with an illuminated reticle when I was in the service and it is 100% an asset for my style of hunting. For the average tree stand hunter and as it pertains to this topic an illuminated reticle actually hurts you in low light shooting because it makes it more difficult to see your target because of the light in the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

I have heard of the practice of stealing hubcaps.  What did you (I mean "they") do with them.  Sell them for scrap?

I sold them to a guy named Vinnie who hung out in the alley behind the pool hall..Not sure what he did with them...

As long as I had money for a bottle of Thunderbird and a pack of Luckies, I was happy...

• Like 3

On 11/5/2018 at 1:58 PM, The_Real_TCIII said:

For years my uncle had a pack of Luckys on the dashboard of an old beater truck, it looked just like a New Jersey inspection sticker

We got some "C" rations when I was in basic training that had Luckies in O D green packs!

• Like 1

On 11/5/2018 at 11:50 PM, Pygmy said:

No, Eddie...They'd look kinda weird on my Dodge Ram...Hehehe....

I wish it had an antenna, though, so I'd have someplace to hang my coon tail...

IMO, fender skirts look kinda weird period.

My Dad had rattlesnake rattles hanging on the rear view mirror of his '49 Ford. He "collected" them one summer when he expanded the perimeter of our yard after killing one on the back cellar steps.

Some slimeball stole them when he left the windows down after he parked the car in downtown Butler, PA.

Edited by wildcat junkie

On 10/24/2018 at 7:26 AM, phillifan22 said:

Hey everyone, so I was sitting in the woods the other day and wondered what the legal sunset/end of shooting time was, and how well I could see at that time. I had never really thought about it before, and have always hunted until I couldn’t tell what an animal was. Turns out, I can usually see for almost a half hour after “sunset”. Since I now hunt on state land, I was wondering who sticks to the official sunset time, or goes until they can’t see, to be willing to take their last shot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here in PA it's 1/2 hour before & after sun rise/set. When in NY the evening is ok but sunrise is different animal. I hear lots of shoot before legal time.

And each day can be so different with cloud cover and when snow is on the ground. I'll refrain from stating if I ever shot before or after when in NY, lol. FT

I have only begun reading this thread so apologies if this redundant.

I think 15 mins before/after would be a nice compromise and I would be happy if that change was made.

Early season canopy makes it dark quick...late season with snow on the ground moon in the sky feels like you could hunt all night.

• Like 1