For Those Pretty Bummed Out So Far

Moho81

As the title says this thread is for those of us that a bummed out about the bow season for whatever reason. Lets commiserate together. Here's my reason why...

I was really looking forward to this bow season. I shot quite a bit all summer long. Purchased new arrows and shot some more. 

So far I've only been out twice. 1 evening sit and 1 morning sit. The last 2 weekends where my own fault because my wife and I went on a fantastic vacation that I wouldn't take back even for my first bow kill. 

This weekend coming up Saturday is going to be dedicated to the kids and doing our annual pumpkin picking with a good friend of ours and their kids. After that we hang out all day have dinner together while the kids play. Looks like I can sneak out Sunday morning but with a 80% chance of rain I may just be staying home. 

Next weekend my wife works Saturday. If I get lucky I can get out in the evening then I'm free for the last 3 days on the weekend before the regular season opener which is the best time to be in the woods so its not all bad. I was just hoping to be out a lot more. 

It’s certainly easy to get bummed out.. I try and get into the woods as much as possible, which is hard with a job that demands 10-12 hours a day and a wife and two kids at home. I had seen deer on all of my sits through the early weeks of October. Only two bucks and lots of doe. The week leading up to this past Monday I had sat twice in a row without seeing a thing. I would read the live in the stand thread and hear about all this pre rut activity kicking off and it seemed to be happening everywhere except my neck of the woods. I easily fell into the trap of thinking this may not be my year, even though it was still early. Monday evening I got off work early and rushed out into the woods. Two hours into the sit had me feeling like it was going to be another deerless visit. Then, I hear crunching coming through the woods. It’s a doe and a fawn acting skittish. Stopping, looking behind, then taking off. I hear long deep grunts. Then a younger bleat like grunt. I see a small buck. A few minutes pass and more crunching coming from where the doe and fawn had originated. I see big white horns. I ended up killing the biggest buck of my life. And he was accompanied by another big racked buck that hung around to watch his buddy take his final breath. Hunting Whitetails tests your patience, your whit, your determination. But if you keep on them. Keep getting your ass out in the woods and sitting in a stand for as many hours as it takes, within minutes you could be holding the buck of your dreams. That’s all it takes. For everyone out there feeling the October buck hunting blues,  keep that damn head up and stay on the grind. The bucks are out there. And it only takes that one sit to make it happen. Good luck to all. Knock one down and get some bone in your hands!! 

• Like 4

Retired ,so can get out pretty much anytime.That said so far very few deer while hunting, nothing closer than 55 yards, and only 1 mature doe, and 2 small bucks, spike,fork horn.

Weather has been biggest deterrent,mostly high wind and warm temp.,maybe because i can go almost anytime i scrutinize the weather too much.

Hopefully better days are coming.

I'm kinda bummed this year as well. My sons, and hunting partners, both started new jobs this year and have no real time to go.  I'm just not that excited to do it alone anymore.  We have been out three times, but no shot opportunities. I am planning on taking a week off in November to bow hunt, and another for rifle, but it won't be the same and I almost think I will looking for things to do around the house and out to dinners with my wife as much as spending time in the stands. I guess it's a transitional year for me in some ways.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Not even a single sit. Right spot at right time and a 2 minute window...lol

And the ability to connect on the shot when it comes. Overcome the target panic and put the arrow or bullet where it's supposed to go. That's a mental toughness that's being intentionally bled out of Americans every day.

Sorry for the politics.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hunted a full day and a half for the opening... Oct. 1st and 2nd in Masonville..... I saw not One deer.  Otherwise the last two Sunday mornings I was out in 3P. Last Sunday just from walking out I saw a doe and a spike.... but there is a lot of good sign.  There's always Next weekend!  I say that a lot!  lol

Got out once for 3 hours more of a scout vs hunt.  Best times are coming!  Don't wear yourselves out and get ready as this weekend is the shotgun start for the RUT!!!  Get out an enjoy the woods!  Best thing about just enjoying what you are doing is having no expectations, then if something does happen its all good!  

Good luck, keep at it guys and girls!  Rut is almost here!!!

• Like 1

When our kids were young, my wife worked full time M-F, with my fireman’s schedule, I watched them when I was off m-f or on nights m-f . That left me weekends when I could hunt, except I worked half the weekends .

I still managed to get deer . That seems so long ago it’s but a faded memory, now I got everyday off and have been out maybe 12 -15 hours .

Good luck 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, philoshop said:

Hunting seasons will come and go as surely as the Earth moves around the Sun. Time with family that is lost is gone forever. Choose wisely.

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Can't be too bummed moho, you just haven't had enough time to hunt.  It happens and it only takes the single right sit to turn things around.  Good for you on putting family first!

Family is always first. I have not participated in a fair amount of things over the past 8+ years since we had our first born and honestly I don't mind one bit. I'm young and there is still a lot of time left to have fun on my own or with friends but the kids will only be young for so long. Ever person I have every talked to that has older children has always given the warning of watch out because they grow up way to fast. 

As a kid I always remember my dad being at just about every single sporting event I ever did whether it was just a practice or a game. If he was allowed to be there he was. I want my kids to have that same memory about me. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I'm at 16+ hours on stand without seeing a deer but I know the best hunting is ahead of us. When we had the 10/15 opener this week was always terrible anyway. You'll have one awesome hunt and forget about all of this, we both will in fact!

One awesome hunt is all I need. 

Even my one evening sit was pretty damn cool. Within 20 min of sitting down I had 2 fawns feeding in front of me at 15 yards and a good sized doe hanging back behind me. Spent almost a full hour keeping my eye on the doe while trying not to have the fawns realize I was right in front of them. It was good practice for trying to move in the stand without being noticed.  

i haven't been out yet really. i resighted my bow in Sunday afternoon and then took a strategic several hundred yard walk from the range to my house, with a swamp and bean field in between. saw to doe in range but it was Sunday night and wasn't going to let one fly. especially with moving into a new house on the horizon. it'll get better when i get out but so far every pic of a taken deer is painful.

3 hours ago, Moho81 said:

One awesome hunt is all I need. 

Even my one evening sit was pretty damn cool. Within 20 min of sitting down I had 2 fawns feeding in front of me at 15 yards and a good sized doe hanging back behind me. Spent almost a full hour keeping my eye on the doe while trying not to have the fawns realize I was right in front of them. It was good practice for trying to move in the stand without being noticed.  

I always take some extra granola bars and break off pieces to throw to the young deer. It keeps us all amused and entertained.

Down to a 30-40% chance of rain on Sunday morning so things are looking better for being able to hunt. 

Hopefully I can get out with my Daughter but I don't want to bring her out if it's going to be raining all morning. I don't need to make her sick. 

• Like 1

Sunday looks like it needs to be a go for most of us wny guys....my buddy shot a real nice 11pt. Last year and the wind was whipping, along with it raining cats and dogs all day. A hot doe was in the area and he was surrounded by bucks big and small. He actually missed the biggest one and had to settle for a real nice 11pt.
I believe it is the one on the left in the pic.b19a73b740c2b98b5d04dd0661f48c1a.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1