Steuben giant

First-light

Most guys that get big bucks on LI don't even want it posted on social media.  The 167 taken 2 years ago I was after was very hush hush.  Some would rather keep to themselves so no other hunters infringe on there hunting grounds.  Guy showed me a pic of the deer opening day last year, talk about putting a dampener to your opening day.  Good dedicated hunter but sucks when the deer you are after for 3 years is gone. 

• Like 1

While there are good bucks to be had in NY, I don't believe that the frequency at which they are found or killed translates to the same ground in the Midwest. Speaking in averages. Counties like Monroe and LI that bring in book bucks in numbers are isolated compared to Midwest states.

There's just as many people putting P&Ys in the closet as there are in IL, or IA, or OH, or NY. Not enough to make the difference between reporting be that vast.

Edited by phade

47 minutes ago, phade said:

While there are good bucks to be had in NY, I don't believe that the frequency at which they are found or killed translates to the same ground in the Midwest. Speaking in averages. Counties like Monroe and LI that bring in book bucks in numbers are isolated compared to Midwest states.

There's just as many people putting P&Ys in the closet as there are in IL, or IA, or OH, or NY. Not enough to make the difference between reporting be that vast.

Shouldn't you be out hunting a large browed dagger buck!

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

Guys can be very secretive about both big bucks killed and even worse, those on camera not yet killed.  Posting the lesser bucks is no big deal.  But I have a hard time believing we have the same number or ratio of big bucks as the Midwest states. 

Like those trail cam bigfoot pictures I guess :)

• Like 1

A good friend of mine has an outfitting gig in the Branchport - Italy area.. He has some real good bucks on cam no doubt. But he doesnt tell the customer what they can and cant shoot. Tells them to shoot whatever they have tags for and to do so legally. Not sure what his rates are but seems, he has happy people in camp. Had a couple NFL players in a few years back.  

18 hours ago, NFA-ADK said:

Most guys that get big bucks on LI don't even want it posted on social media.  The 167 taken 2 years ago I was after was very hush hush.  Some would rather keep to themselves so no other hunters infringe on there hunting grounds.  Guy showed me a pic of the deer opening day last year, talk about putting a dampener to your opening day.  Good dedicated hunter but sucks when the deer you are after for 3 years is gone. 

I think more hunters subscribe to this than some think. We're all part of a public board, but out of the 200k hunters in NY, many probably don't even have a smart phone haha. I will say that I have left a few off this board because I know it's public and every boarder is hunted by a neighbor that knows us.

19 hours ago, G-Man said:

there is something off about this picture. This kid looks like he's never been in the woods and just got done playing fortnite. 24955336-1918730351488578-77359030046387

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, phade said:

the difference is most of the deer out west that are reported sre thru guide services. 95% or more of mag articles are about a buck killed on outfitter lease. the pros have multiple farms they own or lease for their tv shows. the outfitters push putting them in the  book or at least publishing the scores. that culture makes a big difference in reporting.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, G-Man said:

the difference is most of the deer out west that are reported sre thru guide services. 95% or more of mag articles are about a buck killed on outfitter lease. the pros have multiple farms they own or lease for their tv shows. the outfitters push putting them in the  book or at least publishing the scores. that culture makes a big difference in reporting.

I'm not sure how one could prove that cause-effect relationship in statistical reporting.

I'm suspect of that 95% number as that hasn't been my experience. I've created "big buck" stories for NY, OH, WI, MN, IL, etc. Exactly 1 of them were from outfitters...and that was a NYer going to IL. I've probably written 150 of them over a 10 year span, too. You'd think I'd have seen more of it at a 95% rate.

The variance and duration is dramatic in stats when you look at book reporting, and has been for decades, well before the outfitter, TV push. Long-term trending comparison indicates that NY simply doesn't compete with the Midwest outside of isolated counties that are more of a product of geographical make-up and population density. Overlay the soil structure map of the US and it almost lays perfectly with the book buck map...exceptions being those counties where hard access/population comes into play (both good and bad). It even helps explain the gap in NY between east and west county performance.

• Like 1

Another Steuben monster that I just finished caping out...taken very close to where the original buck in this thread was killed. A friend of mine ended a three year quest for this deer last night.  He had a massive body to match the rack.

20181029_221130.thumb.jpg.1e264dcb7fcc7bf7e42557aebeb6c54f.jpg

20181029_220946.thumb.jpg.33eb494d9ddf8cf1db4418da7c46b076.jpg

20181029_220850.thumb.jpg.ff10708d053f74cf7a7683b30ef1d75c.jpg

Edited by WNY Bowhunter
  • Like 4