Hunting Land Purchase Timber Question

BBDEric

I am currently making offer on land. Its gets 2k a year for being in windmill area. No windmill on the property. They question is they provided a timber report thats states 26k worth of timber @ 12inches chest high. Not planning on cutting it that small. But there are plenty of trees over 20 at chest high. Its 5 years old so how much would that value gone up do to timber price increase and growth. 5k to 10k? 

Thanks in advance

20181024_114400.jpg

20181024_105640.jpg

20181024_103209.jpg

20181024_103214.jpg

Edited by BBDEric
Update

Do some homework and talk to local people who have had timbering done. Most timber brokers are honest people, in my experience. The shady ones don't stay in business very long. Most will do a walk-around and consultation for free. It's an education.

Whatever percentage the broker is taking is likely a percentage you wouldn't  have gotten in the first place. The other thing is they have a real incentive to be careful with the land and the machinery that might tear it up. A logger isn't likely to care what your land looks like when he leaves if someone isn't there to tell him to clean up his mess. Nothing against loggers, they just have different priorities from most land owners. Been there. Leaving three foot deep ruts from a loader in some guys woods is just really not cool. Especially when there's a dozer on site that could fix it in less than an hour. Clean up your mess.

I've been out of it for too long to give you any names. Sorry.

• Thanks 1

Two places to start. The local Town or village hall and the local breakfast diners. They know more about what's going on than anybody else in the area including the politicians. After that I'd head to the local hardware/Ag stores. And don't BS anyone or you'll be standing there alone in two seconds.

Timber report is only as good as the person (forester I hope) that did it.

DEC has stumpage reports on line. You can look these up to see how much average prices have changed over time. I believe some species have gone down and some have gone up. In timber sales, timing counts for a lot.

Prices are heavily dependent on export demand. The Chinese are THE major purchaser of our exported timber. That market has soured of late.

If you buy the place I would suggest you consult with a reputable forester to develop a management plan that takes your goals in mind. Avoid a once and done cut at all costs and you can probably have a harvest every 10-15 years.

Also, it's nice to have windmill income, but there also things to be aware of. In my township the law reads that you can't build within so many feet of a windmill- even if it's not on your property! Windmills can depress property values and some people believe their are health issues related to living close to windmills. Don't know what you're intended purpose for property is, it sounds to me like you have a lot to consider.

• Like 1

What county is it in? Pricing can vary depending on area of the state and what sort of improvements the land already has done to it. Raw, driveway, logging trails, power, etc.  If it's not accessible from a paved road, it would be cheaper than something with frontage (read: it gets plowed in the winter). 

In terms of the trees, assuming you don't need to scoop it up immediately for whatever reason, I'd recommend hiring a reputable forester consultant who works in your area to do a fast timber cruise. They'll go through the acreage and tell you with a range of what the standing timber is worth. Then you have options.  You can harvest some immediately, or down the road. But at least you'll have a rough idea of what's on the property and what its value is.  If it was logged at any point in the last 10 years, there may not be anything of value. Check with the seller as to when they last logged it. Also, how was it done?  Sometimes landowners just hire a logger who scrapes everything of value leaving you with the junk (called high grading).  Other times someone who cares comes in and only takes selective trees leaving some to continue to grow and provide food and habitat. A consulting forester can help you with a plan if you wish (At a cost).  They can also broker any type of timber harvest deal for you (at a cost).

I purchased 80 acres of land last year that had never been logged. I immediately posted it and hired a consulting forester to help me. I told him what I wanted to do (recoup some of my initial outlay, manage for the long-term, get better access, and keep mast for deer and turkey).  He went through, marked trees that needed to be cut, wrote up a management plan for me, and put the logging job out for bid.  Got 3 very different bids...sold to the highest bidder. Got paid up front.  Had I called a logger alone, they probably would have scalped it, left me with garbage, ruined my land, and paid me as they went to the sawmill.  But every logger is different and every forester is different. For me, it was worth it.  

State list of consulting foresters:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/lands_forests_pdf/coopforlist.pdf

Edited by rjrdomer
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, 52 farmer said:

Timber consultant, they definatly are your best bang for your buck.

Their is a guy that was on here a few times with lease property available, who is a consultant,I believe he is located in Portageville NY,sorry cant remember his name.

Pretty sure you are thinking of Pete Collin. He has a website:http://www.pcforestry.com

• Like 1