In the home stretch now...

wooly

8 minutes ago, Dom said:

Very nice.What is the cost of a piece like that the wife asks and what kinda wood?

Thanks guys!

Dom- I did this one for $350. I believe the wood is white pine, but I'm not 100% certain. Might be yellow.

I don't get any more for a solid oak carving than I do a pine or hemlock. The wood is anything I can get for free so I don't charge any extra for the fancy stuff.... yet!

1 minute ago, Water Rat said:

Do you somehow sign your carvings ? On the bottom of the base perhaps ?

I don't really think of this as a business for me, but I started a Facebook page for all my carves that I named "Woolygoats".

I usually carve and burn that name somewhere on the bottom or base of the piece.

Eventually I'd like to have a branding iron made so I can just heat it up and stamp them all the same, but I need to find someone who can make that for me. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wooly said:

I don't really think of this as a business for me, but I started a Facebook page for all my carves that I named "Woolygoats".

I usually carve and burn that name somewhere on the bottom or base of the piece.

Eventually I'd like to have a branding iron made so I can just heat it up and stamp them all the same, but I need to find someone who can make that for me. 

Can recommend these guys;

https://brandingirons.com/collections/wood

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ncountry said:

That is impressive, Wooly!

Have you ever been to a woodsmans day and see the chainsaw carving competition.. pretty neat. One I went to , gave them an hour and then they auctioned them off, highest price won..

I've never been to one of those before, but I've seen some videos of similar speed carving competitions with the auction at the end.

I believe that's the same way they run a portion of the Ridgeway show in PA, but I hear a lot of that show has changed recently compared to years past as well.

I prefer to take my time when I work on a piece that I'm really getting into. Of course I'm still in the infancy stages of this saw carving stuff, so that could all change some day as I gain more experience.

• Like 1

There is a market out there for what you're doing. It's incredibly honest and heartfelt. That's rare. But like any other market in the world of craftsmanship it's going to be populated by people who want to use you for their own personal gain. My advice is to stay away from the shows They can't create stuff, but if they can commandeer your stuff and make a buck they're happy. I hate to be cynical about it, but that's just the way it is. I spent well over a decade in that world and met some of the nicest people you can imagine. I also met some of the worst snakes that the human race has to offer.

• Like 2