Why cell service so bad in Adirondacks?

Hunter007

3 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Indian lake tried several times to get a cell tower in the area and the companies didn't want to spend the money as not enough people.  Same reason for no cable.  Only tourists for a few months a year not a good enough investment.

Recently they have service now I think there is a tower in speculator.

But they can have them in death valley and all over out west lol 

The state most be trying   charge them to much to put them up overthere  or something .

Edited by Storm914

If all you care about is cell reception in the ADK's, then you're not hunting the ADK's!

Hunting up in that area isn't about this crap! It's about busting your ass, putting your time in, and pure hunting like was done years ago.

I will go out of my my way to keep cell towers out of the Dacks!  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rob... said:

If all you care about is cell reception in the ADK's, then you're not hunting the ADK's!

Hunting up in that area isn't about this crap! It's about busting your ass, putting your time in, and pure hunting like was done years ago.

This 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Rob... said:

What about emergencys  .especially 

When You are  hunting  alone ?

They  need something up there at least emergency single. 

Easily to say until you break a leg or have a stroke up there and the crows are picking at you eye balls when they find your bones  because you could not get  cell phone service  not even for emergencys up there . When they have the technology to do it if they want .

Edited by Storm914

5 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

What about emergencys  .especially 

When You are  hunting  alone ?

They  need something up there at least emergency single. 

Well, you claim to be an older hunter, so what did you do before cell phones? 

Edited by Rob...
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rob... said:

Well, you claim to an older hunter, so what did you do before cell phones? 

Not the point I'm older now and dont think I'm going to live for ever like I use to .

We got the technology now so why not deploy it up there and save people's  lives potentially .this is new york state not Alaska for crying out loud. 

That being said it still not going to stop me from going up there .

But I'm seriously thinking about getting some type of sat technology  to at least be able to send a text out or something .

Edited by Storm914
  • Like 1

If you are really worried and want to be in contact these are available. We also have a friend that is a Dr. and when she is on call and is up there she rents a satellite phone.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/spot-x-2-way-satellite-messenger-personal-tracker?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions&affcode_c=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr6zCrOin3gIVAl8NCh2ePQrgEAQYBCABEgIK6_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

shopping.png

Edited by Steve D
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Not the point I'm older now and dont think I'm going to live for ever like I use to .

We got the technology now so why not deploy it up there and save people's  lives potentially .this is new york state not Alaska for crying out loud. 

That being said it still not going to stop me from going up there .

But I'm seriously thinking about getting some type of sat technology  to at least be able to send a text out or something .

It IS the point!

If you are that scared of being alone in the woods, then don't hunt the Dacks! Stay down by the turd! Get a SAT phone. 

• Like 3

a little insight from the dacks.  My ex wife is from Hamilton county and their tourism sales pitch was that there isn't a stoplight in the county!   

Also their pet name for people up visiting was tourons.  Lol.  

First time I went to Indian lake there was a 4 point and a 6 point fighting on the sidewalk.  

Gotta love it up there.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rob... said:

It IS the point!

If you are that scared of being alone in the woods, then don't hunt the Dacks! Stay down by the turd! Get a SAT phone. 

You are  not making  sense you dont have family ? Or anyone that may need to get in touch with you when you go  away on  vacation ?

It's not like the Adirondacks is down the road from me lol 

Edited by Storm914

The point of a mass of undeveloped land the size of the Adirondacks is different to everyone.  It does make sense to me to have a place without cell coverage.  I'm sure it isn't cost effective to blanket 6 million sparsely populated acres.

Like the Stones sang "You can't always get what you want..."

• Like 1