Why cell service so bad in Adirondacks?

Hunter007

Cell phone towers are aimed at population centers.

So cell phone service is sparse in the Adks.

There are parts of the Finger Lakes that have zero cell phone service, so if break down in your boat, you need a radio to call for assistance, because a cell isn't going to work.

I used to work where there were 5 manager/supervisors who were on call 24/7 for things like snow removal and water main breaks. We had to have service with 3 different carriers to insure we each had service at work and at home.

7 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

You are  not making  sense you dont have family ? Or anyone that may need to get in touch with you when you go  away on  vacation ?

All you really need to do is post it on the forum when you plan to go and a return date. If you don't log in within 24 hrs. of the said return date someone will notice and call the rangers:snooks:

21 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

But I'm seriously thinking about getting some type of sat technology  to at least be able to send a text out or something .

Most folks rent SAT phones. You need some serious justification to buy. On top of that there is Inmarsat vs Iridium coverage to decide they are not all the same even in the US remote areas....signal is occasionally cumbersome to deal with. I've been in camps with them many times. Sometimes outfitters had them, sometimes clients.

Go with one of the SPOT type devices if you really want to get something for ADK's. Or go with PLB for emergencies.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

You are  not making  sense you dont have family ? Or anyone that may need to get in touch with you when you go  away on  vacation . 

It's not like the Adirondacks is down the road from me lol 

How am I not making sense? We hunted for years without tech, now it's a big deal. Back in "the day", we just hunted.

I have stated before, and I will state again, many of the areas I hunt don't have cell or wed service, it doesn't stop me from hunting every chance I get, and I have some major health issues. My wife makes me carry my phone and most of the time I  have it on silent, this season, I am not even taking pics of me being in the woods.

I will never stand for more cell towers! Anywhere! Whats so hard to understand about that?

Like I said, you claim to be an old hunter, what did you do before technology? 

• Like 2

Everything up here has to be approved by the adirondacks park agency or apa. They tell you how you can even treat your own property. What trees you can cut where you can build God forbid it's by water. They really are a pita. Had a local handing out bumper stickers saying abolish the apa. Most off the adirondacks state land is forever wild. So it's hard to put a cell tower in when it not supposed to even hurt a tree.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rob... said:

How am I not making sense? We hunted for years without tech, now it's a big deal. Back in "the day", we just hunted.

I have stated before, and I will state again, many of the areas I hunt don't have cell or wed service, it doesn't stop me from hunting every chance I get, and I have some major health issues. My wife makes me carry my phone and most of the time I  have it on silent, this season, I am not even taking pics of me being in the woods.

I will never stand for more cell towers! Anywhere! Whats so hard to understand about that?

Like I said, you claim to be an old hunter, what did you do before technology? 

I never hunted the Adirondacks either when I was younger. 

And I'm talking about going up there alone you said you go with a group if I'm not mistaken big difference. 

4 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

I never hunted the Adirondacks either when I was younger. 

And I'm talking about going up there alone you said you go with a group if I'm not mistaken big difference. 

Never hunted the Dacks with a group, where did you get that? A couple times with one other hunter. But I was alone most of the time. Pay attention son! Many of my hunts around Benson were solo hunts, as near the SZ Summit/Jefferson area.

Do what you want, hunt how you want, enjoy room service as you see fit.

I actually have to sign out now, even though trying to get the wife on deer in the ADK's isn't working out, weather for my area may allow me to get out with the bow.

2 minutes ago, Rob... said:

Never hunted the Dacks with a group, where did you get that? A couple times with one other hunter. But I was alone most of the time. Pay attention son! Many of my hunts around Benson were solo hunts, as near the SZ Summit/Jefferson area.

Do what you want, hunt how you want, enjoy room service as you see fit.

I actually have to sign out now, even though trying to get the wife on deer in the ADK's isn't working out, weather for my area may allow me to get out with the bow.

If I'm not mistaken you said you went up to go hunting with your   relatives at there camp someplace in the Adirondacks on another thread .

Anyways it's not going to stop me from going up there just going to make me more careful when I go that's all 

8 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

I wonder how that effects tourism  up there , because now a days  everyone kinda wants cell service when they travel .

There are so many people using the trails up there its becoming a major problem with trail maintenance, parking, etc DEC doesn't know what to do.

They should make a bold stroke and make trail fees, but thats a hard sell.

Major mentions in many places on the net and in magazines has the place pushed to the max.

8 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

I'm guessing that lack of cell service is a big draw for many folks that travel there.  I go back to the same fishing lodge in Canada because it's off the grid.

Maybe or maybe the  people that run the park up there actually dont want to many people up there and that's why they prevent them from putting cell towers  because they are trying to keep it for ever wild .

And keep  human impact  on the woods to a minimum. 

Edited by Storm914

20 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

I imagine it's not a conspiracy to keep people out.  I imagine it's just not cost effective.  I understand that you don't like it, but complaining won't change it.  If you don't feel safe, then don't go.  The number of people that get out on the 6 million acres is miniscule

So how do  they  have cell service out west in places much  more desolate then the Adirondacks that is all I want to know . 

20180923_115316.jpg

Edited by Storm914

The Adirondack park is the biggest state park in the US.  It's bigger than Yellowstone, grand canyon, Yosemite combined. 

Out west isn't more desolate, there is usually a few towns nearby. More population. 

There isn't a stoplight in all of Hamilton county

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, stubborn1VT said:

WAAAAAAA I want my cellphone! 

I'm not in the telecommunications business.  Couldn't tell you, and I just don't care. 

Good luck out there.  Be safe out in the scary woods.

Someone is giving you guys the shaft up there that is  what I think is going on .

Edited by Storm914

One cell tower can cover between 22 to 44  miles so all you need is maybe 5  spread out on roads   10  8 28  and  you could cover most of the Adirondacks .  You have  paved roads and power lines up there already . Dont see what there waiting for .

Edited by Storm914

Why don’t you and your mangina stay down by the city. I don’t think the woods is a safe place for you. 

I bet the Catskills have cell service. Stay there. 

Heres what you do, tell people exactly where you will be hunting. If you don’t return they can send in the search party. Or don’t hunt alone. Problem solved. 

2 hours ago, Doewhacker said:

Why don’t you and your mangina stay down by the city. I don’t think the woods is a safe place for you. 

I bet the Catskills have cell service. Stay there. 

Heres what you do, tell people exactly where you will be hunting. If you don’t return they can send in the search party. Or don’t hunt alone. Problem solved. 

Yea they do in the catskills 

That's the point 

Kinda,  no reason for  it to be any different in the Adirondacks, Same state 

Who said it was a problem?

:mda:

Edited by Storm914

Cell phones are strictly, like all business enterprise, driven by dollars. The daks are very thinly populated, with those folks in concentrated areas. Not much residential bill payers there. Next, funny thing about the ADK mountains.... mountains!  Cell phones work better over flat areas (like deserts, plains, down state NY etc.) but still need to be spaced to work off each other. The large amounts of wilderness in the adks is because it is not developed. Thank god I can drive up rt. 28/ 12, etc, or go back into the Moose River Plains without seeing the damn towers everywhere. 

Even where my camp is on the Tug Hill reception is very poor. And I am glad for it. When I am there, I am off the grid. I don't have to be bothered by the nonsense calls from family and friends, or salesmen. I truly can relax. In an emergency, it is well known where I am. If I am not heard from, they know where I am. Hell, If I fell out of a tree stand, I probably broke my neck...end of the chapter. If I have an MI, chances are there isn't any reception where I am at. 

• Like 2

I primarily hunt in the Indian Lake/Minerva area. Verizon did put a booster on the water tower in town and we get coverage at our camp. Same goes for Minerva....obviously the higher your up the better. Its not coverage like you're used to down south, but enough to call/text home. I personally dont want anymore coverage up there. One of our guys does have a SAT phone for emergencies.