Why cell service so bad in Adirondacks?

Hunter007

I HAVE A CAMP BY LONG LAKE...…….OFF OF ROUTE 30 A MILE BACK IN...……...MY 20 DOLLAR TRACPHONE WORKS THEIR BUT MY FRIENDS 600 DOLLAR VERIZON PHONE DOES NOT GET A SIGNAL..GO FIGURE...ALL MY FRIENDS IN CAMP BOUGHT A TRACPHONE TO USE UP THEIR...…….ONLY CARRIER THAT WORKS..HOPE THIS HELPS YOU OUT...…..

This is comical to me, number 1 there are many places that have reception in the dacks. Number two, this fella goes hunting one time and now he wants cell towers. Last year you were complaining about leases not allowing access to the public and wanting more roads now you want cell towers. Give me a break. You obviously need to stay down near the city where you stay safe I don’t think we want your type up here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

This is comical to me, number 1 there are many places that have reception in the dacks. Number two, this fella goes hunting one time and now he wants cell towers. Last year you were complaining about leases not allowing access to the public and wanting more roads now you want cell towers. Give me a break. You obviously need to stay down near the city where you stay safe I don’t think we want your type up here.

First off I'm not from the city second  I was only asking because other places  I have been to out west that are even more remote then adiks have service  at least on the major roads .

And I find it  funny  that you would think that I'm funny for just asking,   when so many of you guys  are hunting  upstate while surfing the internet on your cell phones  which one member posted a whole thread about it . :)

saying he could not live with out it .

Where I live near to and that is one of the wealthiest towns in  the County I have to go outside to use cell.We hav 2 towers aprox 12 miles apart even higher ridges an still no signal the lay of the land has something  to do with.

4 minutes ago, Belo said:

My favorite part of going to the Adirondacks is my lack of cell reception.

That's cool I was just wondering why  so many dead zones even on major roads up there that's all .

And some turn it into something else shzzz 

On 10/27/2018 at 8:24 PM, Rob... said:

How am I not making sense? We hunted for years without tech, now it's a big deal. Back in "the day", we just hunted.

I have stated before, and I will state again, many of the areas I hunt don't have cell or wed service, it doesn't stop me from hunting every chance I get, and I have some major health issues. My wife makes me carry my phone and most of the time I  have it on silent, this season, I am not even taking pics of me being in the woods.

I will never stand for more cell towers! Anywhere! Whats so hard to understand about that?

Like I said, you claim to be an old hunter, what did you do before technology? 

Well Rob I also,drove cars with out seat belts or airbags , now safety plays a big roll in what I buy , i don’t drive around the corner without buckling up .

Ive been in “ wilderness “ from the ADK , To deserts of the Soulth West, to The Yukon Territory . Weeks sometimes with out contact , today I like to take advantage for what’s available though .

When I hunt Montana , I like leaving camp once in awhile to go to town, for nothing else but being able to call home ,to see how the wife and kids are .

Perhaps I’m just a worrier, but I like to check in from  time to time to know everyone’s fine .

If there is cell service ,it doesn’t mean you have to use it , your possession is somewhat odd .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Storm914 said:

That's cool I was just wondering why  so many dead zones even on major roads up there that's all .

And some turn it into something else shzzz 

My parents have a cabin near Raquette. I have ATT, wife has sprint, most of the family has verizon. At certain spots in an otherwise dead zone I can get a bar. Enough to eventually get the weather or a sports score. Nobody else gets anything. But got 10 miles in one direction to inlet or Raquette and everyone but my wife can get reception. 

I'm not an expert on cell towers vs tv towers, but I know when I was looking at an antenna to get football games there wasn't a chance in hell. The topography (as you know) just doesn't allow for good comms. I imagine the open plains allow a signal to travel farther and easier. 

I know your question was innocent enough, but I think your tone and the safety card through some people off. To beat a dead horse, safety is extremely important, but people have been hunting those big woods a long time before cell service. 

• Like 2

First off I'm not from the city second  I was only asking because other places  I have been to out west that are even more remote then adiks have service  at least on the major roads .
And I find it  funny  that you would think that I'm funny for just asking,   when so many of you guys  are hunting  upstate while surfing the internet on your cell phones  which one member posted a whole thread about it .
saying he could not live with out it .

That’s why I said NEAR the city and not in, I’ve Been out west as well cell service is nonexistent in Montana and Colorado in the mountains where I was. Have fun doing what you want but a kindergartner could figure out why cell service sucks in the Dacks, if you don’t like it don’t do it.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

That’s why I said NEAR the city and not in, I’ve Been out west as well cell service is nonexistent in Montana and Colorado in the mountains where I was. Have fun doing what you want but a kindergartner could figure out why cell service sucks in the Dacks, if you don’t like it don’t do it.

O Sorry but Read back the way you wrote that it leads the reader to think I am coming from the city to hunt near the city .

But to your other point recently got back from a trip to  navada rented a car took  the scenic routes from navada to California and from navada to Arizona.  And if you ever been out there you see ,  as soon as you leave the major citys you find nothing 0 population for  20 50 100 miles .  But still 

I found more dead zones in  Adirondacks then the 1400 miles  I put on that rental car  over there .

Made me think something is up with that,  either politics or environmentalists or both keeping  it like that up there . 

But no problems I'm still going up there  to hunt when I have a chance  is not going to stop me if that is what you were thinking even near me in the woods that I hunt you have dead zones far back in places .

But not expecting that on route 10  up there .

Edited by Storm914

unless you live or work around the dacks you really don't understand. out west or even the catskill region isn't the same. topography makes as requested dead spot free cell service a massive undertaking that wouldn't justify the cost.  there's massive overhead with any tower.  you have a monster tower taking more acreage to lease and more infrastructure that's easier to get to. a short tower that's at a peak is less land leased, less infrastructure, but a b*&^% to get to for running power, comm, and simply maintaining access year round for maintenance. start putting a repeater and infrastructure in town on a water tower or structure and town will just rape them with taxes, provisions in place, and free services to just "let it" be approved for construction.  maintenance practically shuts down on our cell tower during the winter.  no amount of salt and plowing will keep the ice and snow drifting at bay unless it were plowed around the clock.  they wait and it's usually too much snow built up to remove where it's drifting. 

for use it's fine. you just deal. while driving i'll lose you but can call back or pull over if it's important.  certain carriers are good for a township here or there if you're settled in somewhere. otherwise, call you when i have service. no selfies required hunting deer up here and farther north.

• Like 1

although myself and few others have already mentioned how we like escaping to the Adirondacks, I just want to highlight again how much I love the idea of the area being one of the last frontiers out there. google raquette lake and pull it up on google maps. Then just zoom out a little and start exploring. It is amazing how vast that area is, especially if you've ever hiked even a small part of it, you'd really have an appreciation. It's rare that you'll hunt any land south of the Adirondacks and not be able to still hear loud motorcycles or cars off in the distance or more likely still, dogs barking and kids yelling. You probably find trash and stuff that has drifted into your woods and for sure you deal with trespassing. You get none of that in daks and that makes it pretty amazing and special to me. 

The term Frankenpine first garnered public attention in 2004 when the Adirondack Council, a nonprofit organization working to protect the Adirondack Park, gave a proposed tower this name.

Located in northeast New York, Adirondack Park is a publicly protected area and the largest National Historic Landmark. The area is overseen by the state Adirondack Park Agency (APA), which at that time, approved a permit for Nextel Partners Inc. to erect a 114-foot tower tapering up from a 7-foot-wide base. Part of Nextel’s proposal was for the tower to be shaped and camouflaged as a pine tree so that it would blend in with the forested area of the park where it was to be built.

However, members of the Adirondack Council opposed the APA’s decision and pointed out that a disguised cell tower still would “not look like any tree on this planet,” thus giving rise to the term Frankenpine. 

To date, these faux trees, which have taken the form not only of pine trees but also of Douglas firs and palm trees, can be found across the United States.

18 minutes ago, Salmon_Run said:

The term Frankenpine first garnered public attention in 2004 when the Adirondack Council, a nonprofit organization working to protect the Adirondack Park, gave a proposed tower this name.

Located in northeast New York, Adirondack Park is a publicly protected area and the largest National Historic Landmark. The area is overseen by the state Adirondack Park Agency (APA), which at that time, approved a permit for Nextel Partners Inc. to erect a 114-foot tower tapering up from a 7-foot-wide base. Part of Nextel’s proposal was for the tower to be shaped and camouflaged as a pine tree so that it would blend in with the forested area of the park where it was to be built.

However, members of the Adirondack Council opposed the APA’s decision and pointed out that a disguised cell tower still would “not look like any tree on this planet,” thus giving rise to the term Frankenpine. 

To date, these faux trees, which have taken the form not only of pine trees but also of Douglas firs and palm trees, can be found across the United States.

But wind mills and solar panels all over the place upstate that's ok to look at lol  to those type  of people go figure 

Ignoring people mocking the original poster for not being rugged enough...to answer the question.

I believe it also has to do with the terrain.  Out west, there are typically cell towers along interstates and the signal can project for miles because there aren't any trees in the way.  In the Adirondacks, you have hills, mountains, valleys, and lots of trees blocking signals.  The reason why they don't install the towers to improve coverage is there is no return on investment.  Not enough phone subscribers in the area.  It would take the state to put in a bunch of money to improve service.  

And forget not having service in the Adirondacks.  There are many, many parts of the Catskills still without service, even along some main roads.  Granted, I can eventually get it by driving 10 minutes or walking to a high clearing, but still...it's not adequately covered either.  Again, largely due to terrain and demand.  And there are way more people down there than up in the Adirondacks.  

I would say to look into the “Spot”. When I hunted remotely in British Columbia (3 hours from town) with no cell service, the guide I was with had a “Spot”. Once a day he would send a signal to his wife which let her know we were ok. There was an option to send a signal that we weren’t ok, but he never had to use it.

My family simply had to wait a week for me to have cell service. They knew that in advance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I would say to look into the “Spot”. When I hunted remotely in British Columbia (3 hours from town) with no cell service, the guide I was with had a “Spot”. Once a day he would send a signal to his wife which let her know we were ok. There was an option to send a signal that we weren’t ok, but he never had to use it.

My family simply had to wait a week for me to have cell service. They knew that in advance.

Yea i was just looking at that there only 149 

I think first year is free .

Then i think its 149 a year for basic service after that . 

Edited by Storm914