Red dot sights

Nomad

So last year my daughter got “ scoped “ when shooting off a rest and leaning way to far forward off a low rest . This was with her 7mm08. She has shot it after,last year, but the other day she couldn’t ,said she’d close her eyes and flinch . So she’ll use her 870 iron sights this year , kick doesn’t bother her at all she said .

Im thinking of removing scope from rifle adding a rail and red dot. I know little about them , but no eye relief means I can mount it a bit more forward . Her shots  will be 50 yards and under really  with one or two spots she could go 75 . Won’t set it up till over the winter .

thoughts ,comments ,suggestions , brands welcome .

Larry

I have a truglo mounted on my sons 30-30 and he loves it. just a suggestion I would go with a tube not a reflex, a tube would be way better in inclement weather. Any red dot should hold up to the recoil of a 7-08. I love my  red dots.. 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1

This is a Aimpoint 9000 short tube version on a Savage 220 slug gun using a one piece EGW rail, Aimpoints factory supplied rings. 

As it is would be about 1 1/2" farther forward than a typical 3-9 scope.(Aimpoint is zero magnification just a adjustable 2moa  dot)

As you can see has plenty more adjustment for farther forward.

SFYUaOZ.jpg

Also use a Aimpoint H-1, which is small, on a 270win and 375HH but probably more than you'd want to spend for occasional deer rifle.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

Sounds more like a training issue, but you know what you're up against better than us.  Give it a whirl.  You could always move that RDS to the shotty or a pistol if it doesn't work out with the rifle.  No downside here.

Somewhat right. I wasn’t watching her shoot off the rest, which was to low, she said she was holding it like a pool stick . I’m sure she’d do fine again off hand, but just won’t give it a shot at this point .

So a smaller sight, more forward may make her more comfortable.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

This is a Aimpoint 9000 short tube version on a Savage 220 slug gun using a one piece EGW rail, Aimpoints factory supplied rings. 

As it is would be about 1 1/2" farther forward than a typical 3-9 scope.(Aimpoint is zero magnification just a adjustable 2moa  dot)

As you can see has plenty more adjustment for farther forward.

SFYUaOZ.jpg

Also use a Aimpoint H-1, which is small, on a 270win and 375HH but probably more than you'd want to spend for occasional deer rifle.

Had the same Aimpoint 9000 on my 870 and liked it but I just hate the 870

5 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Somewhat right. I wasn’t watching her shoot off the rest, which was to low, she said she was holding it like a pool stick . I’m sure she’d do fine again off hand, but just won’t give it a shot at this point .

So a smaller sight, more forward may make her more comfortable.

Couple snap caps and some dry fire practice is a good way to help out a flinch.(and cheap!) Good training for a sharp reload and follow up too.

Standing bench for sighting in like used for big recoiling rifles helps get rid of those issues too. I'm not big and standing helps suck up recoil and eliminate stock creep.

• Like 1

Thanks , she runs the 870 fine, because as she says, “ there’s not some big thing on top that can hit me in the face . “ I have snap caps for 870 , so she could dry fire and practice running the gun .

BTW you don’t live around Seneca Falls do,you ?

Shes had a couple dates with a guy who’s Dad has hunted Africa .

My set up isn’t too sophisticated.

7FBCB351-AD62-4EE2-8EAA-08B735CF020B.jpeg

Edited by Stay at home Nomad

10 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Thanks , she runs the 870 fine, because as she says, “ there’s not some big thing on top that can hit me in the face . “ I have snap caps for 870 , so she could dry fire and practice running the gun .

BTW you don’t live around Seneca Falls do,you ?

Shes had a couple dates with a guy who’s Dad has hunted Africa .

My set up isn’t too sophisticated.

I think a red dot forward would eliminate issues thats like 6" eye relief on that set up of mine. I run the H-1 like a semi scout, on the forward ring.

LOL......no about an hour south of Albany , have never been married, or had any kids.

Another suggestion for a very very tough red dot is the ultradot’s. They are reasonably  priced and can take a  ton of recoil. I have well over 3000 full tilt rounds down the pipe of my 44 with zero problems, heck guys use them on 454’s on up with no problems.. 

563AA1A2-3ED4-4E91-9D25-98EA8F870237.jpeg

• Like 2

I have several red dots on the majority of my turkey guns. 12 and 20ga. They are great, and none are expensive. Batteries last forever as long as its off when not needed to be on. Ido believe there is a vortex venom for sale on this page still. Mine are all Truglo red dots. Always worked fine for my needs. When I was younger i had one on my smooth barrel 12ga for deer season. It took several deer. But then hit the back seat when i purchased  my first ML

• Like 1

i have a reddot on my browning bps. no parralax and where ever the reddot is is where bullet goes. dial up or down intensity for light conditions and distance

.some allow you to change dot size or even give cross hairs. 

its also a must have on my turkey gun as pattern is so tight. a point is needed to properly aim over a bead

• Like 1

I don't want to depend on batteries while hunting in anything other than a flashlight. No red dots, no GPS. With either you are SOL if the batteries go dead. When I hunted big woods I carried spare batteries and bulb for my flashlight. I don't use a flashlight for difficult blood trailing after dark near home either.

While you can swap batteries in a flashlight of they go dead, that's not an option with a red dot when a buck appears and you find your battery is dead.

4 minutes ago, wildcat junkie said:

I don't want to depend on batteries while hunting in anything other than a flashlight. No red dots, no GPS. With either you are SOL if the batteries go dead. When I hunted big woods I carried spare batteries and bulb for my flashlight. I don't use a flashlight for difficult blood trailing after dark near home either.

While you can swap batteries in a flashlight of they go dead, that's not an option with a red dot when a buck appears and you find your battery is dead.

You have valid point, I have been hunting with red dots for close to 15 years now and I have never had the batterie go dead. But I do install new ones every year before gun season. 

6 minutes ago, wildcat junkie said:

Trijicon doesn't require any batteries.

The Aimpoints I'm using run 50,000 hrs....thats over 5 1/2 years of continuous operation. Why its a military issued product.

A Trijicon illuminated reticle is both worlds, a very high quality standard optic with option of battery free operation.

For the non magnified quick acquisition red dots......a conventional scope such as the Leupold isn't even close for eye relief. You'd have to mount scout style to approach the flexibility of mounting .