Best public land you've hunted in ny...

DanielT

It's just a strange thing to ask and expect answers... The reason I enjoy pieces of woods is because it's not well known, if I go spouting about it online it may get more traffic. It's kind of like asking, what are the GPS coordinates to your best tree stand?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Well...I know your opinion...thanks
Good luck out there
P.s. what are those coordinates to your stand?
Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I used to hunt a huge track of land in Roscoe. Very secluded other than opening week you probably won't run into anyone. Years ago it was good hunting not so much anymore. 

Bear spring mountain ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If anyone wants any spots in sterling just ask and I’ll post every single spot publicly. I’ll give you walking directions to an exact tree if you like. Oh and I’ll even tell you where to park

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would not call it the best but many deer taken off the mountain.As far as public land I find and think its great for the hunting and also the fishing that I do.Location Dutchess County NY.3F and 3G and alittle north and south of my area

• Like 1

I know it's not public, but I just drove past St Bonaventure today and there were 10 deer grazing on the front grass area along rt 417. Could fill a tag easy, but the local police wouldn't be too happy. I guess I'll just go to the camp and avoid trouble.

Hunting at letchworth in a week I saw..... skunks......porcupines.......deer (1 was 130 class)...turkey.......raccoon...bear....5 kinds of squirrels.....and an eagle
That's what makes New York pretty awesome as far as hunting terrain and opportunities

• Like 1

On 10/29/2018 at 10:55 AM, grampy said:

Hands down, Partridge Run in 4-H. Nowhere near as many hunters as years past. Plenty of room to spread out too. There are some hidden spots in there, that are very good for various game.

I've hunted Partridge run and it is a great place to go Hunting. 

• Like 1

Best public land you've hunted in ny
Define Best...I have hunted quite a bit of public land and find each one  has it's own attraction. Not all have game and some get a lot of pressure but if nothing else they are nice to visit.
Overall experience...from sightings...too amount of different animals seen....scenery...terrain...might even include cabins and camaraderie....total experience....(antler size is low on list)

14 minutes ago, DanielT said:

Overall experience...from sightings...too amount of different animals seen....scenery...terrain...might even include cabins and camaraderie....total experience....(antler size is low on list)

The one thing I like best is not having to ask if I can Hunt or Fish.I do have a special area of public land that my Dad showed me when I was younger and I still hunt there mostly,lots of game.All I can say is it's in region 3

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DanielT said:

Even though I harvest and hunt mostly in the finger lakes or southern tier area my "best public land" is the Adirondack mtns. You never know what you will see, and may see nothing, but each time will seem like the first time.

I have never shot a deer or bear up  there but would not hesitate to go back tomorrow. You can walk for miles and days and never see any game but you will see some pretty country.

It doesn't bother me any more to go hunting and come back with nothing.....If fact I am getting use to it:rofl:

Good thing I enjoy the outdoors

• Like 4

Even though I harvest and hunt mostly in the finger lakes or southern tier area my "best public land" is the Adirondack mtns. You never know what you will see, and may see nothing, but each time will seem like the first time.
 I have never shot a deer or bear up  there but would not hesitate to go back tomorrow. You can walk for miles and days and never see any game but you will see some pretty country.
It doesn't bother me any more to go hunting and come back with nothing.....If fact I am getting use to it:rofl:
Good thing I enjoy the outdoors
Thays the best answer yet...thanks