Why wasn't this a lung shot?

Core

seems a tad low but a great shot from that high of an angle. you barely got both i think. little blood happens. sometimes the lung plugs the hole. offside lung you grazed on the inside. blood hits a lot of surface before filling and spilling out that low hole despite low holes are still a good thing. 

4 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Based on that entry I think it was. Lungs dont "deflate" per say, theyre stuck to the walls of the chest cavity

Lungs aren't stuck to the chest wall. There is a tiny space called the pleural space that contains a small amount of fluid to help lubricate and expand the lung as one breathes. Lungs definitely collapse or deflate. 

33 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

whitetail.jpg.77e02199d6940264154f2e80583bf54b.jpgthis section is taken at the heart. moving back a bit the heart disappears and the lungs fill in. Especially on very steep angles it is VERY important to aim at your exit hole.

cool pic and view.  Def helps to understand placement.   Close and from high above real difficult to double lung.   

It was from a stand. Can it have been a single lung shot on account of the downward angle so I missed the right lung?

You could have nicked the lung but most likely you hit the cavity and some vitals arteries causing it to bleed out. That would most likely be why it ran so far.

From stand you always want to shoot a little high and the closer the deer the higher you want to shoot and the farther you shoot the lower you want to shoot until you reach level. My best suggestion is learn the anatomy of the vitals and learn where that are located at different angles. Treat it the same as how you learned to shoot a deer at different on coming and flea wether it be broadside, quartered or straight on.

Also you can buy targets to shoot at that are the equivalent to shooting at different angles whether from a stand or on the ground. I use the Glendale buck and I target shoot out of my stand more than I do on the ground seeing I only hunt out of a stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I am at a loss on this post. The deer was dead and had to have been gutted. What did you hit? The answer was right in front of you

I am confident I didn't hit heart because I did a cursory inspection of it. I didn't hit liver because it wasn't cut.

I assumed I had not hit lung due to no blood in the mouth. It's possible I did hit one, though. 

I recall shooting this at around 25 yards from my tree and I was probably 15' up. However, that angle does look pretty darn steep. The thing was slightly down hill and I realize I should have aimed a bit higher for good measure.

Height of entry aside, would all of you aim exactly where I aimed regarding forward/back? 

Edited by Core

2 minutes ago, Core said:

I am confident I didn't hit heart because I did a cursory inspection of it. I didn't hit liver because it wasn't cut.

I assumed I had not hit lung due to no blood in the mouth. It's possible I did hit one, though. 

Well if you didn't hit the heart, you really weren't high enough to get into the major veins and arteries so it pretty much had to be lung in my book. You aren't far enough back to get the liver. 

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Might have been my uncle on my Moms side.  He never did much deer hunting but always knew my Dad loved deer liver (my Dad was a Chef).  SO he told my Dad he got a deer and saved the liver for him.  So the families all got together and he gave my Dad the frozen liver.  Dad thawed it out to cook it and yeah ....... it was a lung.  Dont think he ever told him either. 

wow may of been.... crazy

Not overly sensitive to different foods but lungs sounds pretty darn disgusting.

I tasted them once just for shits and giggles, it wasn’t the taste that was so off putting as mulch as the texture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk