Crossbow Broadhead Question

Don_C

I finally decided to get a crossbow!  I have zero experience with them, but managed to sight it in quickly and am planning on hunting with it next week.

My question is – Can I use regular NAP Spitfire Broadheads in a crossbow? I have read in many different places that there is no difference between the crossbow version and the regular version of this particular head. If anyone here shoots them you know they are very tight and do not open easily, so I somewhat believe that is the case. Can anyone confirm or comment on that? I have a few packages of these heads and am a big fan, I don't want to spend another $45 on heads if I don't have to, and  I can't find them locally.  I did email NAP so maybe they will get back to me. Any input is much appreciated.

Edited by FatBoyD

Several stores sell NAP broadheads pretty cheap. Not sure if the difference is there or not, but xbow heads usually have a shorter ferrule or changes to prevent opening due to the increased force demand. This head might be the same, but not sure you'd get clear info on that.

I also prefer broadheads that provide practice heads. I hate using a real head to practice with and on those you either rneed to tie shut using dental floss or similar...or waste bands.

I have never hunted with NAP, but bought a pack of the Shockwave Spitfire version for my bow. 1 1/4 in cut. I bought them for "doe stands" and was able to take one this year using the BH. It did a great job and was very comparable to my Grim Reapers which are hard to find and usually at full retail price. I think I got these NAPs for $20 and a $10 rebate on it...very work it.

I also zipped a beautiful red fox on Saturday with one. He went all of six feet from hit site. I don't think they'd do as well as Grim Reapers on bone or quarter shots - the GR design is much better.

Edited by phade

Yes, I knew there were differences in CB heads which is why I am asking, in this case it seems they are identical and I have a bunch of regular Spitfire Maxx heads so I don't want to buy more if I don't have to. 

I am a huge fan of the Spitfire and Killzone broadheads (There are no bands these heads),  I have shot them for years, for me they are the most accurate and consistent heads. I have a stockpile and have no problem burning one to make sure they are on with field points.  

I have never seen the NAPs on sale for those prices (please send me info!), and can't find the crossbow heads at Cabela's, Dicks (ugh) or Gander locally, again, this is why I am trying to determine if I can use the regular heads. Regular ones $40 and $45 at Cabela's right now.

I am going to respectfully disagree on the GR comparison. I shot the GR's for many years, killed many deer with them, I loved them. Blew through a few shoulders with them myself and was always amazed at the blood trails.  BUT, I had one Whitetail Special ferrule bend 90° and fall out of a deer on a poorly placed shoulder shot. It literally bounced off of the deer. When we picked up that arrow were were in shock, that head was bent 90° and blades were gone. Never again.  (that post is around somewhere) Of course Grim reaper offered to replace it... big deal. They had no comment on the failure though other than they had some manufacturing challenges. Sorry, not bashing a great head, but I had a bad experience and won't use them again.

I can't say I have ever had that experience w/GRs. Loosely added up 55 whitetails I've killed with them. I am sure I am missing a few. Two non-recoveries that were poor placement on my part. Will say that they also covered me on a couple poor placement shots, too. Doing enough damage to offset the Indian. I don't shoot the whitetails special...not a fan of such long ferrule designs. Been shooting the 1/38" Razor tips and Razor cuts and they seem to do great.

My Shockwave Spitfires have rubber bands.

• Like 1

Oh I am not arguing or saying they are not great heads. They ARE and I killed a few deer with them myself, not nearly 55 though! I was the biggest fan ever of Grim Reapers and it was hard for me to change. I am one who really does believe any head will work if you put it in the right place, maybe I'll give the 1 3/8's a try again!  First I have to find a deer though... seemingly impossible for me this year.

3 hours ago, grampy said:

There really is no difference that I can tell. Put them on your crossbow, sight it in, and kill a deer! You do your part, those heads will do theirs.

Grampy is correct. I spoke with NAP and they told me they will not open in flight unless you're shooting something crazy fast, but I am fine at 350fps and I do not need to buy the crossbow specific heads. Thanks for all the input and good luck this weekend!

• Like 1