Bow sling anyone ?

Jeremy K

6 minutes ago, G-Man said:

killed way to many deer walking in and out to ever sling it...

In the dark ? If it's light out then absolutely no sling . I'd really like to use my hiking poles when i walk to the top of the hill in the morning ,i always do that walk in the dark.

Edited by Jeremy K

I've got one that clips on the riser and has the shoulder strap. I like it for taking a load off while hiking in to those distant stands, and it lets me keep my hands warm in my muff on my way in and out.

Actually spotted a nice buck working a scrape on my way in today while I had the sling on. Really no big deal opening the push button clips and shedding the sling to ready for a shot. No more extra movement than nocking an arrow IMO.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

In the dark ? If it's light out then absolutely no sling . I'd really like to use my hiking poles when i walk to the top of the hill in the morning ,i always do that walk in the dark.

i rarely walk out in the dark .if its dark i have a deer on the ground.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, G-Man said:

if its dark i have a deer on the ground.

That's another scenario the sling comes in handy if you're one of those guys like myself without a wheeler and have to DRAG your deer out.

There's just no easy way to do that with a bow in your hand even if you use a harness to drag.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

In 24 bow seasons I have never gotten a shot walking in or out but I still have my release in my front pocket and bow at the ready lol. A sling would be nice in the dark especially this year. I’m walking through goldenrod and it’s getting stuck in my cams

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is my 27th season and my first deer off the ground was last sunday . I've never even came close until then .

17 minutes ago, wooly said:

That's another scenario the sling comes in handy if you're one of those guys like myself without a wheeler and have to DRAG your deer out.

There's just no easy way to do that with a bow in your hand even if you use a harness to drag.

i go get the tractor..lol

18 minutes ago, wooly said:

just put the rack thru the string and use the riser as a drag handel...  seriously though ive used the sling on my gun to drag deer

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Did we miss this ? You zipped one ?! 

Ya ,last sunday on my walk out of the woods . I barely made it to 9 AM in the stand and took the long way back so i didn't mess with my dads hunt and a spike was harassing a group of doe , the one i shot stayed around and i was able to get within 30 yards and put a perfect shot through the heart. I never bothered taking a picture ,except of the triangle shaped hole in the heart but didn't want to post that.  

• Like 7

So lo and behold, today I climb down and am walking out when I spot a large bucket in the woods. TF and I always laugh about how theres always a bucket and I was thinking that if I cant find my climber Saturday at least I'll spot that bucket and know I'm on the wrong bench. No sooner have I hatched this plan than the bucket stands up and trots off, a piebald doe!! First I've seen in the woods! I actually got close to her two more times and wished my rangefinder wasnt in my pack. I got to maybe 50-60, would have been a terrible idea anyway with her at Defcon 1 . She is all white except for her muzzle

Edited by The_Real_TCIII
  • Like 4

Dedicated user of one right here. Similar to yours above; about 10 years old now. I  had a small sapling catch between the sting and cam while pulling my bow up into the stand many years ago. Violent release  of the bow string off the cam. I do mean violent. Roy says I was lucky the bow didn't crack. He drew that puppy back with extreme caution to put the string back on.  Bought one right after, think it's a soft sided Primos. Best money ever spent. It's on it anytime I'm not using it now.

On 10/29/2018 at 9:51 PM, G-Man said:

killed way to many deer walking in and out to ever sling it...

yeah mine is always ready.  One time years ago i was walking out and in a little ditch that was in between two fields for drainage where i walk out was a huge 10 point.  He was laying in there in the brush and his antlers were sticking up but he thought he was hidden.   As i am fumbling for an arrow and he is 15 yards away a doe jumps up in there too and they both stand and run off.  I def could have shot if i was ready. And a few other times have gone in and deer are right there.  One time walked up on tow bucks fighting .   They werent paying any attention to me and i was about 45 yards away. Snuck up to witihin 25 behind a tree and peaked out behind the try and sent one - only to clip a branch.  But def want that bow avail for any chance of action to and from. 

• Like 1