Antler Restriction Results

Canis Latrans

55 minutes ago, wildcat junkie said:

4 1/2 year old 219# dressed weight 4 point. Dominant buck on my farm. Never saw or killed a rack buck until I took him out.

7InmGhZ.jpg

I think that we could use antler restrictions that target bucks with less than 3 points per side.Let the 5-6 point yearlings walk for a few years. Maybe a "slot restriction". Right now I have a spike and a 3-point screwing up the hunting on my place. The does have left the immediate area, most likely due to being constantly harassed by the young bucks. I'm afraid that when the big boys start cruising, they won't bother spending any time on my place.

When I first set my trail cams out, there were at least 4 different does hanging around. Now they show up in the wee hours and infrequently at that.

53 minutes ago, SteveB said:

I've said this since the beginning of the AR talk. Will add that even targeting them at 2 1/2 is no better as they are still a young IMMATURE deer - hardly a teenager in human scale. The vast majority of mandatory AR supporters either don't realize or will not admit they are after bucks that have a few more points or is SLIGHTLY bigger - and not a MATURE animal. 

If the majority of 1.5's made it another year, they are a much different animal to hunt even at 2.5. Except for the chasing and breeding time when they all get stupid ...lol.  I agree they aren't mature at 2.5 but if they made it there that extra year of experience would help them make it longer. 

If the majority of 1.5's made it another year, they are a much different animal to hunt even at 2.5. Except for the chasing and breeding time when they all get stupid ...lol.  I agree they aren't mature at 2.5 but if they made it there that extra year of experience would help them make it longer. 
Agree. I will say its bs if they dont give doe tags out to go along with the antler restrictions. I dont understand how it could be a bad thing

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Agree. I will say its bs if they dont give doe tags out to go along with the antler restrictions. I dont understand how it could be a bad thing

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I’ve said it in here before. What I think should happen is all antlerless is by lottery. Everyone applies. No antlerless or either sex with the bow and muzzleloader licenses. If the folks can’t stomach a one buck rule then sell the extra buck tag with our first special privilege purchase. Regular season buck tag and all antlerless by lottery. If a guy only hunts gun and is in an area like NZ or low probability area he has as good a chance as anyone at a tag draw

Just about all of the herd management solutions that people come up with these days seems to involve eliminating the choices and options for hunters. You know, such things as EAB (earn a buck), AR's, and a whole string of other limiting suggestions. At the same time, we have a shrinking participation in hunting. Perhaps we have to factor in some form of hunter encouragement as a means of maintaining and growing our numbers. If all we can come up with is to confound hunter success, perhaps we are working contrary to our own purposes. What do you think?

• Like 2

I’ve said it in here before. What I think should happen is all antlerless is by lottery. Everyone applies. No antlerless or either sex with the bow and muzzleloader licenses. If the folks can’t stomach a one buck rule then sell the extra buck tag with our first special privilege purchase. Regular season buck tag and all antlerless by lottery. If a guy only hunts gun and is in an area like NZ or low probability area he has as good a chance as anyone at a tag draw
Nah I'd rather be able to take two bucks a year with my bow down here in 3s. I never rifle hunt (nowhere to do so) so I stick on my piece of land and bow hunt till season is over. And 99.99999% of the time I am satisfied with one Buck, but I do like having the option to take a second if I so desire.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Nah I'd rather be able to take two bucks a year with my bow down here in 3s. I never rifle hunt (nowhere to do so) so I stick on my piece of land and bow hunt till season is over. And 99.99999% of the time I am satisfied with one Buck, but I do like having the option to take a second if I so desire.

so if you had your regular season tag and an antler only tag from your bow license purchase. If you want to take an antlerless then you apply with everyone else. 

so if you had your regular season tag and an antler only tag from your bow license purchase. If you want to take an antlerless then you apply with everyone else. 
Well currently in 3s I have a regular season, a bow, a muzzleloader, 3 dmps, plus in theory unlimited bonus dmps. So as Westchester regs currently are I could in theory take 7+ does or two bucks and 5+ does. I like it that way. Will I fill all my tags? I sure hope so, is it likely? Given this season almost a certainty I'll be lucky to fill even one. But alas think it's good the way it is and has been for many many years

8 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Well currently in 3s I have a regular season, a bow, a muzzleloader, 3 dmps, plus in theory unlimited bonus dmps. So as Westchester regs currently are I could in theory take 7+ does or two bucks and 5+ does. I like it that way. Will I fill all my tags? I sure hope so, is it likely? Given this season almost a certainty I'll be lucky to fill even one. But alas think it's good the way it is and has been for many many years

Step out of your bubble for a minute and look at how the rest of the state operates. How do you see the system working in other areas.  Being in a bonus area (like 8C is as well) you are really the exception rather than the rule. 

Step out of your bubble for a minute and look at how the rest of the state operates. How do you see the system working in other areas.  Being in a bonus area (like 8C is as well) you are really the exception rather than the rule. 
Oh I don't disagree one bit. But other areas also have the ability to use shotguns or rifles so the odds increase for success or at least opportunity given a deer sighting (longer effective range) it's a complex issue, but does anyone really think the government is equipped to tackle something this complicated when they can't do something so simple as fix some ratty roads or even plow the roads efficiently in the winter?

I'm going to look at the facts here on Ar's in compering NY and PA. I will be using the harvest reports for 2017 from both states. Last year PA achieved a harvest rate of 59% of bucked killed at a age of 2.5 years or older. NY had a harvest rate of 54% of bucks killed at a age of 2.5 years or older. Now lets look at what it took for PA to get to that 59% mark. It's pretty simple it took 15 years of Ar's with 3 to 4 points on one side to get there. NY made the 54% mark with little in the way of Ar's and only in the 2nd year of the DEC. promoting the let'em walk program. For those who would like to see state wide Ar's at best you would see a 5% increase in the older buck harvest but it may take up to 10 years or more. I would not change the way it's being done now and you may see the 5% increase in 3 to 5 years.

• Like 1

Keep things the way they area I hunt private and public both bow and gun if you put the time and work in you should see deer and fill a tag or too. No there are not mature bucks behind every tree nor will there ever be. As far as AR's im not in favor of it guys area passing on smaller bucks on there own, i like to get 2.5yrs old or better but am happy shooting a 1.5 if time is winding down