LI buck green scores 205

First-light

The article mentions that it was killed on public ground.  All of Long Island is essentially suburban.  There are a few relatively large tracts of public ground that wouldn't be considered 'residential'.  The public ground here on Long Island is not where you'd find those 'tame' deer.  That would be in the residential parts of the Island.  But, those truly residential areas are actually in peoples' backyards- private land- and there are plenty of guys who hunt those properties.

i'm curious if anyone knows if this was one of those suburban deer? Not taking anything away from the hunter, but I know sometime they can be a little tame and easier to hunt. Again, just curious. 

If you zoom on article it says 1-2 mile area that several other hunters were hunting as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I meet  him a few years ago, wont say where in case that was the spot, seemed like a really down to earth guy, hats off to him, I think I would loose it if I knew something like that was in my area!   Don't think it was Pine Barrens, I have hunted those areas and it has very little food, they do pass through though, numbers are low.  The ones who are present are real big if you can find when they pass through!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

If you zoom on article it says 1-2 mile area that several other hunters were hunting as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah that's suburban. lol. no disrespect. i'd arrow that monster in a hearbeat and it sounds like he worked his ass off during the offseason. My dad always says 80% prep. 10% skill. 10% luck. 

• Like 3

I hunt upstate but, I live in Suffolk.  There are plenty of huge deer because the hunting pressure is limited.  They are not tame at all except the ones on Fire Island.  I have seen antler freaks because of the amount of farms and neighborhood gardens that they feed in. Some of the bucks rival the "bucks of tecomate" and I am not exaggerating.  The only real threat they have is getting hit by a car.  You have to apply to hunt a certain area of state land. You can not just walk into public land and move around anywhere you please.  Unless you are friends with a farmer.  The old Grumman grounds let you hunt by permit only but, they want you to thin out the herd and don't let you keep the racks.  Yes, in the past when I would come home from a 4 day hunt upstate with a spike and down the road on someone's front lawn was one of these freaks waving at me drove me nuts!!!

7 minutes ago, virgil said:

Oh great, the conspiracy team is here.  No chance he posed for that picture at home like lots of the photos on this site with deer hanging in their garage?

Maybe but if he is home why does he still have  all his hunting camo  clothes on  ? Even his  hunting boots ?

Edited by Storm914

Maybe but if he is home why does he still have  all his hunting camo  clothes on  ?

He shot the buck after 6pm.  The photo was probably taken the following day- I'd imagine that it was pretty dark by the time he recovered the deer.  If I shot that deer, I'd want photos with good daylight.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Maybe but if he is home why does he still have on all is hunting camo  clothes on  ?

Same reason I would , I often drive to and from in my camo , especially after killing one. Keeps my street clothes blood free, and since likely I wouldn’t be hunting again soon, I can wash them ,clean the truck and regroup .

17 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Just wondering what type of  surroundings he shot it at that's all .

He will never give it up. Too competitive for spots on the Island. We have a friend that has 4 acres in an exclusive north shore town loaded with deer. He sets up in his back yard and shoots some real big ones. The neighbors are all for it cause there are too many. He can see his house from where he hunts.