LI buck green scores 205

First-light

Not diminishing this guys kill, but hunting on LI is definitely all about having a spot on private land.  You surely won't kill one like this on the little public land available out there.  There are some who have access to private land, but it's far from a simple chore to get permission.  Between the billions of ticks crawling up your butt and the challenges of hunting around a suburban environment, most hunters I know have very little interest in hunting LI no matter how big the bucks can get. 

• Like 1

Just because there are homes nearby, it doesn’t make these deer any easier to kill. In fact I believe it makes them even harder. These deer are still pressured and don’t make too many mistakes come hunting season. They spend their entire life in close proximity to homes and know how to avoid people. If he was so easy to kill, chances are he wouldn’t have lived to see 205”s. There are only small windows where deer like this can be harvested. One of the best times anywhere is during the first few days of the season, and only if you do your homework and execute it properly. Which it appears that him and his partner have done in this case. They were watching both bucks since the early spring and carried through with their plan. Something that not too many hunters do. Congrats to Mike and his partner on 2 fantastic deer. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, steve863 said:

Not diminishing this guys kill, but hunting on LI is definitely all about having a spot on private land.  You surely won't kill one like this on the little public land available out there.  There are some who have access to private land, but it's far from a simple chore to get permission.  Between the billions of ticks crawling up your butt and the challenges of hunting around a suburban environment, most hunters I know have very little interest in hunting LI no matter how big the bucks can get. 

I shot three p & y deer on Long Island state land and let some bruisers walk. All three came from very heavily hunted land as well as hiking,biking and dog walker ect. Every year I find big sheds too. 

I first learned of this score from an NYSBBC measurer... yet nobody in the club knows who measured yet. The article doesn't mention whether it is a typical score or non-typical score.. or whether it is a gross score or net score. Just that it scores 205-7 green. If in fact it is a legit typical net score it will become the biggest typical ever taken in NYS, as well as the Biggest Archery typical ever. .. and the first buck to ever hold both distinctions in NYS.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nyantler said:

I first learned of this score from an NYSBBC measurer... yet nobody in the club knows who measured yet. The article doesn't mention whether it is a typical score or non-typical score.. or whether it is a gross score or net score. Just that it scores 205-7 green. If in fact it is a legit typical net score it will become the biggest typical ever taken in NYS, as well as the Biggest Archery typical ever. .. and the first buck to ever hold both distinctions in NYS.

i'm going with gross non-typical. still doesn't matter it's an awesome deer.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Water Rat said:

The article mentions he was hunting an area with other hunters , dog walkers , joggers and atv riders.                   Boy can I relate to that. 

Who cares !! Who  would turn down a chance to hunt a Suburban buck like that if you new it was there near you  !! And had permission to hunt that land .

That being said I like big woods hunting the best .

But if I new something like that was around near me and got permission to hunt it like that guy  sure would. 

Can't blame him . :)

We hunt an area that is public. We are way back in and have had stands there for a long time. Some of the cam pictures would amaze you at the size of the deer roaming around. You can't see forever there is a lot of ground cover and its just plain old hard hunting. 

17 hours ago, First-light said:

We hunt an area that is public. We are way back in and have had stands there for a long time. Some of the cam pictures would amaze you at the size of the deer roaming around. You can't see forever there is a lot of ground cover and its just plain old hard hunting. 

So it was the pine Barrens :)

Thick stuff in there 

• Like 1