Yotes

Dom

9 hours ago, cynthiafu said:

I hit one with my 300 the other day .it did 3789.00 worth of damage . It was a big your. They seam bigger this year .

That's alo t of damage I would be to war with them.Pelts no longer bring a fare price I had 1 sealed 27 years ago and was about 55 bucks.I just wasn't sure what everyone else does with them.

9 hours ago, Water Rat said:

I'm not criticizing anyone , but to me it's a shame to kill something and just leave it lay there. I understand peoples hatred of coyotes because they can decimate deer populations.

I shot my first with the bow. Slammed it right through the back into the guts. Arrow stunk so bad. 

I tracked it for a while. Actually took a break cause I thought it was just up the trail with amount of blood lost. Called my brother in law to see what to do with it. Agreed to have the hide tanned. Started following the blood trail and jumped him. Went way down hill and I gave up. Being honest I felt sort of torn up not following the dog. As I write this maybe I should have. It was 30 degrees in the morning and warmed up to 50 by the time I stopped tracking him. I was a pool of sweat. Maybe selfish of me or not. 

I had the hide tanned from the last big one that I killed from our bedroom window at home.  It looks cool, hanging next to the bar in our billiard room, but one of those is enough for my wife and I.  If I were ever to kill one up at my in-laws place in the Adirondacks (I was nearly bushwacked by a wolf-sized one up there a few weeks ago), I am sure my father-in-law would spring to get it tanned.  He wants to decorate their retirement home with "local species".   I got him a nice whitetail buck shoulder mount for the wall,  but he is still asking for a smallmouth bass, lake-trout, and bear rug.  I am sure that he would love a coyote hide.  What is the average cost for getting them tanned these days?  I think I paid my cousin about $ 50 to tan one, about 10 years ago, but he does not do it anymore.     

As far as what to do with the rest of them, I just throw them out in the field.  The meat must be very bad.   Those are the only carcasses that the crows will not even touch.  They just lay out there and dehydrate until I turn them under with the plow in the spring.  Anything else (deer, racooons, possums, skunks, rabbits, turkeys, fish etc) are devoured fast.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

On 10/31/2018 at 7:12 PM, First-light said:

I shot my first with the bow. Slammed it right through the back into the guts. Arrow stunk so bad. 

I tracked it for a while. Actually took a break cause I thought it was just up the trail with amount of blood lost. Called my brother in law to see what to do with it. Agreed to have the hide tanned. Started following the blood trail and jumped him. Went way down hill and I gave up. Being honest I felt sort of torn up not following the dog. As I write this maybe I should have. It was 30 degrees in the morning and warmed up to 50 by the time I stopped tracking him. I was a pool of sweat. Maybe selfish of me or not. 

They are tough animals. And they dont bleed like deer do, due to their longer fur. I shot one a few years ago, a touch back. It jumped, spun a 360 and took off to the west like a bat out of hell.. Shot a buck shortly later. Later that day I tracked the coyote never found him, The next day I found him laying dead several hundreds yards, in the total opposite direction he ran from me after being shot..   Who knows how long he ran for still alive..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

They are tough animals. And they dont bleed like deer do, due to their longer fur. I shot one a few years ago, a touch back. It jumped, spun a 360 and took off to the west like a bat out of hell.. Shot a buck shortly later. Later that day I tracked the coyote never found him, The next day I found him laying dead several hundreds yards, in the total opposite direction he ran from me after being shot..   Who knows how long he ran for still alive..

I agree they are indeed tough animals.I read some where that they have multiple layers of fur.

They are only tough if you put your shot in the wrong place.  I hit that big one from my bedroom window behind the shoulder with a .22 rimfire yellow-jacket, fired from 100 yards away.  I heard that tell-tale "yip" at the shot, and he piled up dead in the snow after a 30 yard sprint.   That time a pair came in on a moonlit night to my carcass pile.  I should have targeted the smaller female with my first shot.  Killing the big males does not put nearly the dent in their numbers.   I squeezed off 2-3 shots at her as she ran off, but found no blood on her tracks.  It don't take much to kill them if you can catch them broadside behind the shoulder.      

I skin them and preserve the hide or at least portions of it. I usually keep the tails and skulls for trophies, the rest I give away and use for flytying. Don't care for mounted yotes as I think they all look strange for some reason, so I just euro the skulls, I've got 3 in the freezer now come to think of it...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, chrisw said:

I skin them and preserve the hide or at least portions of it. I usually keep the tails and skulls for trophies, the rest I give away and use for flytying. Don't care for mounted yotes as I think they all look strange for some reason, so I just euro the skulls, I've got 3 in the freezer now come to think of it...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I could use a side, and will send flies in return

On 10/31/2018 at 7:00 PM, Dom said:

That's alo t of damage I would be to war with them.Pelts no longer bring a fare price I had 1 sealed 27 years ago and was about 55 bucks.I just wasn't sure what everyone else does with them.

It was a lot broke my power steering  broke the whole right side of my front of my car. 

I plan on hunting them hard after deer season. If anyone wants fur just let me know. The one i shot the other day was with 150gr 308. Quarting towards me, bullet entered just inside the front of the shoulder blade in the chest, and exited at the last rib opposite side. I couldnt believe the 308 didnt flatten him, he ran 60 yards before piling up. 

20181031_082022.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/31/2018 at 9:41 AM, Water Rat said:

I'm not criticizing anyone , but to me it's a shame to kill something and just leave it lay there. I understand peoples hatred of coyotes because they can decimate deer populations.

in all honesty, i just had a yote get to my doe seconds after it hit the dirt and i had to run it off. if i could've i would've shot it without hesitation or caved it's head in if need be and gave me the opportunity. i have a few people i'd call but chances are it wouldn't be worth it for them to come pick it up right away for the hide or whatever. it probably would've just ended up as fertilizer. i don't hate them but they have their place in the food chain.