DIY trail cam mount

A lot of hardware and work? Not really. They generally cost less than $5 each to make, and about 30 seconds to put together. I’ve been making and using mounts like this for a few years now. Straps are ok, but can be hard to get a good angle on the cam, especially if you mount them high, and they hold scent more than a few bolts do. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BuckNutts said:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rEcYANvEVFY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://youtu.be/rEcYANvEVFY

One thing I can say for sure....the peanut butter thing doesn't work. All I accomplished was feeding the squirrels.

9 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

A lot of hardware and work? Not really. They generally cost less than $5 each to make, and about 30 seconds to put together. I’ve been making and using mounts like this for a few years now. Straps are ok, but can be hard to get a good angle on the cam, especially if you mount them high, and they hold scent more than a few bolts do. 

This, if this is hard, you shouldn't be hunting lol ;).  It takes less than a minute to assemble. People don't realize what they are missing until they try this. You can literally put this mount anywhere, at any angle, and its great for theft prevention if you place your cams high, tilting down . 

Straps leave scent, are more visual, and limited in what trees you can hang them on, and its aggravating shoving sticks behind the cam to get the right angle 

Hardware mounts with thumb screw as shown in YouTube video are a theft deterrent &/or more secure...? You're basically putting a ~4"x6" cam on a tree and using a strap makes it more visible? Who has enough cams running to justify buying hardware in bulk? Whatever makes you happy, do it...!

1 hour ago, nyslowhand said:

Hardware mounts with thumb screw as shown in YouTube video are a theft deterrent &/or more secure...? You're basically putting a ~4"x6" cam on a tree and using a strap makes it more visible? Who has enough cams running to justify buying hardware in bulk? Whatever makes you happy, do it...!

Straps are visible 360 degrees from a good distance by humans and game. A band around a tree is not a common pattern on a tree, so it catches the eye. By using a mount, you can place your cams higher in the tree looking down. This keeps it out of the games face and they eye of a thief. When they are higher up, they are not only harder to see, but harder for a person to get. I currently run 4 cams and have these mounts on every cam. The hardware is cheap, maybe $3 to build 1 mount. Which is a great investment considering how much most game camera cost. Were talking about 3 thumb screws and 3 washers and 2 wing nuts. Deer are better at picking things out than most give them credit for. I have watched many deer from stand avoid camera traps and if not for seeing it in person, would never know the deer existed because he was too smart to walk into the camera trap. Any advantage I can have, I take. Black flash cams and camera mounts are the way to go

You can alsos crew this into any sized tree, limb, fence post, plot spikes, corner of houses/buildings etc. The possibilities are endless. You can buy 1 for $10-20+, or build one for $3-5

• Like 1

On my cams, I use cable locks, so I still have something running around the tree, though they are less obvious than a strap. From a bit of a distance, it looks kinda like a vine. The main reason I use them is because in 95% of situations, I mount my cams 6-7 feet up or higher, and angle them down. Trying to get the angle right is a real pain with most cams if I use a strap. I do have a cam or two with an adjustable bracket built into them, but they arent as adjustable as these mounts are. I run 14 cams, all with these mounts. I know quite a few guys that run far more cams than I do.

• Like 1

I've been doing something similar for a couple of years already. I hate the straps as they are so easy to spot and are not secure. The WG cameras I have don't have the threads on the bottom so I made a bracket for the back. I like to place my cameras up high and point them down. Less chance they will be stolen. I do have to pre drill a pilot hole as you don't have any leverage over your head

Also I used SS wing nuts and bolts, and fiber washers. 

IMG_20181103_080447756_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181103_080439704_HDR.jpg

Edited by 2012_taco
spelling
  • Like 2

Neat idea but I have cable locks on all my cameras ever since one disappeared .

On another note ,, after watching the OPs video , another came up with game camera tips . The guy placed a game camera over looking a mineral block with corn dumped over it . Thought that was funny . Don't try it !

11 hours ago, 2012_taco said:

I've been doing something similar for a couple of years already. I hate the straps as they are so easy to spot and are not secure. The WG cameras I have don't have the threads on the bottom so I made a bracket for the back. I like to place my cameras up high and point them down. Less chance they will be stolen. I do have to pre drill a pilot hole as you don't have any leverage over your head

Also I used SS wing nuts and bolts, and fiber washers. 

IMG_20181103_080447756_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181103_080439704_HDR.jpg

Nicely done. With a bracket that was turned down, you could modify that so you could pan left and right for more versatility too!

I made up several of these a few days ago after seeing them on a YouTube video. In my case I found all the hardware in my garage except for three screw eyes and a couple of wing nuts.. so in total mine cost about $1.00 each. 

I decided to do these in order to put my cameras higher, after walking by the camera at night and seeing how bright the red night flash was. I had been using straps and jamming sticks in the back for several years, and these are so much easier to install and adjust the angle.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...