What would an off-grid cabin like this cost?

Core

We run our camp with a Honda 2000 generator and propane. We have a propane stove/oven, Propane/electric refrigerator, and a propane hot water heater. Also ran copper tube exposed throughout camp for backup propane lights.

We have a spring a couple hundred yards uphill, behind camp. We buried an 1,100 gallon poly tank on the bank, just behind the cabin and above the roof line which gives us very nice gravity fed pressure. We ran PVC on the ground to fill the tank. We buried PVC out of the tank below frost line to the cabin. If the feed into the tank freezes, it doesn't matter. It takes a long time to go through 1,100 gallons in the tank.

Officially, we have an outhouse. We have also installed our own small septic system that has functioned without a problem for over 20 years. 

We heat with wood.

If you search for a piece of property with a good spring uphill from your cabin sight that will be key.

Good luck. 

Edited by eaglemountainman
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Belo said:

my only advice on this thread is to pay close attention to big brother's regulations. permitting requirements and stuff. That you're zoned for what you're doing and unfortunately that you're taxed accordingly. Also I imagine insurance for a lived in barn could be interesting too. None of these things you NEED to worry about, by in my opinion you should if you want to avoid future hassles. 

My parents have an off grid cabin, but it's basically a home. Solar powered and way over your budget. Little things like the requirement to have a bathroom fan, the specs on the propane heater vent, the chimney height requirements and hardwired smoke alarms all make these things interesting. 

Yep that's my worry about the cost. I love what culver's done--has the kitchen, and an instant hot water heater on propane would be the ticket. I'm not sure what would be required for code.

Surprised this thread took off--I guess I hit a button on this, lots of you guys have hunting camps. I'm trying to warm up to the idea, it may be the way I get all the land I want without paying a massive fortune to actually move to a new house on land.

left field's water solution is pretty cool. Free water, just pay for a pump.

Storm's camper idea isn't bad at all, but I just want something a bit more spread out.

Edited by Core
  • Like 1

I would invest the money in the land vs a cabin if your plan is to keep it local to Rochester.  Cabin is needed if its too far for day hunts.  But buying the right parcel vs any parcel may dramatically alter your hunting experiences and that may mean more $$$$$$ to buy the land.  If a camp experience is a greater priority, then farther away with a cabin would be great.  Just something to consider.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, moog5050 said:

I would invest the money in the land vs a cabin if your plan is to keep it local to Rochester.  Cabin is needed if its too far for day hunts.  But buying the right parcel vs any parcel may dramatically alter your hunting experiences and that may mean more $$$$$$ to buy the land.  If a camp experience is a greater priority, then farther away with a cabin would be great.  Just something to consider.

What started to pique my interest was this thread: 

I agree that quality of the land for hunting is the most important thing to me. 

11 minutes ago, eaglemountainman said:

Officially, we have an outhouse. We have also installed our own small septic system that has functioned without a problem for over 20 years. 

I see what you mean now by that :)

Any pics of your place?

1 minute ago, Core said:

What started to pique my interest was this thread: 

I agree that quality of the land for hunting is the most important thing to me. 

No doubt Cabin's place is awesome.  Its a retreat.

I personally was looking for someplace I can run out to before or after work for a hunt and come home every night to be with family AND that gave me reasonably good odds for big bucks year in and out.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jmark said:

Culver - wondering about that woodstove setup.  Looks like a Vogelzang?  What is it sitting on?  Almost looks like marble tiles.  And... how did you deal with going thru the roof?  Section outside looks interesting.

Feel free to PM is concerned about hijacking thread - I was kinda thinking this is all relevant, but understand if others disagree.  

jm

I have stainless thin angle, screwed them down and put a thin bed of sand on the floor. Laid in solid 4" think concrete blocks and dusted some sand over them like a paver to have it locked in a fireproof

I had that stove in my cabin. It was a tank and could take a 24" log. But the seams weren't great and I had to replace the seal around the door. I swapped it for a fancy Rais stove. Much prettier but barely fits a 16" piece of wood. I spend a lot of time recutting wood.

For a few more dollars, the Englander is a better stove than the camp version.

I wish I had the option of gravity-fed water but my springs are all below. The pump is inside my bathroom and is fairly quiet.

Random pics:

IMG_5985.jpg

IMG_5993 (1).jpg

IMG_5995.jpg

IMG_5957.jpg

IMG_5971.jpg

IMG_5984.jpg

IMG_7309.jpg

IMG_5996.jpg

Edited by left field
  • Like 5

15 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

how far below you is it? Height difference and distance

It's a run of about 60 feet with an approx elevation is 8 feet to the pump.  This pic keeps coming up rotated, but you can see the black pump sitting on top of the pressure tank behind the filter.

IMG_3066.jpg

i built a camp 3 yrs ago and did research i had a 36 by 24 steel pole barn built by RLS construction for 15000, then i did the interior in ruff cut lumber and floor for maybe 5000 wood stuff beds furtinure etc within the 5grand ... it was by far the cheapest way to go for that size... unless u did it all urself in rough cut

read the whole post i run power either by battery or honda generator very quite cant be heard inside, i do have a toilet collect rain water via buckets of roof to flush the codes said anything under 1000 gallons no permit so i did septic with 2 50 gallon drumms check youtube out for info on that ....drinking water 1 gallon milk jugs cook stove is a small gas camp stove 1lb tanks or grill

Depending on your family and financial situation, a nicer hunting camp in the right spot can double as a nice summer vacation spot. Just a thought as well. Land is hard to find. Building on it has many options and paths. You may even consider a camper for a while till you know the land is what you want and maybe save up more to build something nicer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

When we decided to get a camp of our own, we looked long and hard at buying land and then putting in the camp. We decided that we were going to be far better off buying with a preexisting building. We have 10 acres surrounded by state and county forest, with a two bedroom, bath that we have a hand pump shower currently, hopefully soon to be upgraded to gravity fed shower, flush toilet (uses water from a bucket). Large master room with gas range.we use a Yeti cooler for a fridge. IT is wired for electricity (Yamaha), and propane lights, with a wood stove and propane ventless heater to help out in the winter. 38,000 eleven years ago. Currently our neighbor has a similar set up with a dug well for sale, wants 50 g for it with twenty two acres. Hate to say more on that because I  would like to add it to mine....

From what I have seen, campers are a target for local hoods. Anyone in our area who tried them were  broken into. I would think for 50 or less if you look long enough you should be able to do well. 

• Like 1

On 11/1/2018 at 7:44 PM, land 1 said:

i built a camp 3 yrs ago and did research i had a 36 by 24 steel pole barn built by RLS construction for 15000, then i did the interior in ruff cut lumber and floor for maybe 5000 wood stuff beds furtinure etc within the 5grand ... it was by far the cheapest way to go for that size... unless u did it all urself in rough cut

Sounds nice--do you have pics?

My dad, and I bought a camp 2 yrs ago.  Our place was over the $50k, with 21 acres literally a stones throw outside the Adirondack park.  I highly suggest not to dilly dally if you do find a place, or land that suits you, these properties/camps sell extremely fast, at least they did when we looked.  We looks for 5 yrs for the right place for us, and when we found our place, we were literally thr first people to look at it in person, he told us 8am, we were there at 7.  We bought it that visit, and once we left, there were 2 other people waiting by the gate to look at it.  The owner had 2nd call a 3rd to cancel his appointment that was scheduled later on that day.

For whatever its worth, we run a Honda 2000 as well, plus solar and inverter. We have a tv with one of those sticks or whatever, propane kitchen stove,  woodstove, gavity fed 15 gallon water tank to feed the sink.  Outhouse,  generator overhang for weather.  We have been working on an addition that includes a bedroom, bathroom(shower, toilet, sink), and a closet/mudroom.   We will be burrying a water tank for a similar setup as mentioned in a seperate post by another member.  

Lots of great informative posts here, good luck, and don't rush it, but don't handle camp listings in real estate like a car as mentioned already.  I know when looking for a vehicle, I say ah I will go look at it Saturday,  which say is 5 days away,  usually you're ok, but these camps seem to sell overnight.  

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 1

We built ours in the Adirondack Park, check any local/state reg's closely before building or buying any land.

We have 8 acres that adjoins state land and opted for a hard build rather than a camper as moisture is a real issue in sub freezing weather inside a propane heated camper.

I have basic building skills and as a family we did all the work ourselves with three pre-teen's and only hired local help with the roofing for a day. It took us less than 40 days of actual work to have it completed and we can upgrade as the future allows (additional storage/toilet). We utilize an outhouse and have no running water currently. We have a high water table on the land and hope to put a battery pump inside a dug well for a toilet/septic and shower installed in a small addition at some point.

But for now we obtain fresh potable water from a local spring using covered 5 gallon pails with the UTV as transportation on a semi-daily basis. 

We have propane lights, propane fridge and run off a 100 lb. bulk tank year around, we heat with a wood stove and are currently not insulated. The building is 12 x 24 with a 4' wall upstairs and a steep roof for added head room and snow shedding ability. We have a small Honda generator for things like battery charging and very rarely a window fan at night in the summer. 

I designed the camp myself, ordered the lumber and carried windows and supplies in as we built. It really became a "labor of love" and after hard work and lots of "camp candy" (Tylenol) we got it done and enjoy it greatly.

Good luck and it's great you are planning now and buy/build once...

Cost:  land $ 25,000.00

Camp $ 16,000.00

thumbnail.jpeg

Edited by Salmon_Run
added text
  • Like 1

My wife and I bicker about this all the time. She wants water front, I want woods, and at least 50 acres of land. I would be happy with 50 acres of land in the mid to upper ADK's, and just put a camper on the land. Maintain the camper and keep registrations up to date they cannot tax for it. Out house would be implemented.

There are so many variables when it comes to setting up a camp it's not even funny. I would want to use it all year, as I said a minimum of 50 acres of land, get to know my neighbors for possible hunting rights and definitely retrieval rights!

I don't see you getting much land for 50K with the space to build on for a hunting camp. At least not for what you seem to have imagined for your camp. You might get a wood lot of maybe 20 acres, but then you will have to clear an area even for a camper. That will cost some cash. Digging a well, setting up septic, more cash.

I don't mean to a be a jerk, but a hunting camp should be rustic. No need for an 80" TV, a hot spot for cell service, or running water. It's a deer camp, not a hotel or a spa.

I wish you the best of luck finding what you seek.

If outhouse isnt your thing you could look into one of those composting toilets.

I would be burying one of those 500 gallon holding tanks and use a 12v pump with a long pickup. If you can i would pull off the bottom of the tank and bury the line or use the insulated hydronic heating line so i can use the water in the cold months. I would just bring drinking water with me.

The shower and sink drians i would just run them outside onto the ground with a check valve where I wouldn't be walking around.

Honestly no need for a septic and well if you arent looking to make it a year round residence.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk