Rage 2 blade crossbow broadheads

Nytracker

New to crossbow. Trying rage 100gr crossbow broadheads. They shoot well out of my crossbow at targets . I have no experiance with this mechanical for hunting,but have seen alot of deer kills on the tube. Please don't make it a debate of fixed versus mechanical as I don't have time or money to try a different  broadhead this year. Real experience  requested. I will be shooting from a wickedridge invader 4 at advertised 360 fps. 20 inch tenpoint bolts. I happen to have a boar black bear on camera every 3 days or so so there is potential  a shot. He appears  to be 300 lbs or so. Any helpful insight would be appreciated.  Thanks.

that is all i use and my friend use with our crossbows.. mathew mbx400 . as for your bear .i can only say aim 4 in behind shoulder middle of the body..  i would not hesitate to shoot a bear with one. together we have taken 8 deer since crossbow since they became legal.  with beat placement is more important imo

• Like 1

I've shot two deer with a crossbow I have chronographed at about 345 and got pass through on both and two tagged dear.

First was with Rage 2-blade chiselpoint with the black rubber bands.

More recently I'm using the Rage hypodermic (also 2 blade) with black shock collar.

In both cases the broadheads opened properly on entry and cut all the way through. I suppose I do prefer the shock collar to the bands on the xbow as it seems to hold a bit more snug and I do not anticipate any issues at these high FPS with opening.

Edited by Core

3 hours ago, greensider said:

I do not understand why you need special head for a crossbow i use the same heads on crossbow and compound they work the same on both no problem

I would guess that because the crossbow shoots faster the regular mechanicals might deploy prematurely .

Have any of you guys used mechanical broadheads more than once ?  I bought (6) of the 125 gr o-ring style ones on clearance from Bass Pro about 10 years ago.   Back then, I used one on a target, to see if it would fly the same as my 125 gr field tips (it did).  Since then,  I have shot deer with the other (5), all of which dropped dead in sight or close enough that I could hear them crash (less than 40 yard run after hit).  The first two were with my vertical compound, the last three with my crossbow.  

I used the last new one on a big buck last season, but the high price of new mechanicals kept me from buying more this year.   I was able to get pretty good performace on targets with Muzzy and Wasp fixed 3-blade broadheads, so I planned to use those this year.  I also stuck my best "used" mechanical in my quiver, after sharpening up the blades with a stone and replacing the o-ring.  

This afternoon at 3:30 pm, I had that old mechanical on the rail when a fat button buck stepped out into a clover plot, 20 yards from my popup blind.  I hit him behind the shoulder.  He spun around and hightailed it into the goldenrod after taking the bolt thru both lungs.  I thought I heard a crash, so I walked immediately over there and sure enough, he was down just 20 yards in.   This was a good-sized bb.  It felt like he weighed about 85 pounds field-dressed, when I tossed him into the box on my dad's side-by-side ATV.  I will get a chest girth measurement tomorrow, when I go back over there with my wife's van and cargo carrier, to pick him up. 

Those mechanicals (new or used) seem to be so lethal that I am reluctant to hunt with anything else.  I was not able to find the bolt that went thru the bb tonight, but I will look for it some more tomorrow.   I did find a couple more of those used mechanicals in my archery "junk drawer".   By combining parts and sharpening blades, I was able to get one in decent shape.   If I can find the one from today's kill, I will try and get a third deer with that one, now that I know they work for at least two.

Mechanical broadhead prices should be slashed severely after gun season opens, and I will buy more at that time.  Hopefully the one that I have, and the other I might find, will get me thru tomorrow and Sunday.   I am reluctant to hunt with fixed blade broadheads because I have had a few long and difficult tracking jobs with those over the years.  The mechanicals, on the other hand, seem to kill them nearly as quick as a rifle ML or shotgun slug.                          

Autopsy  update. .Entry  looked like full deployment. Hit just under spine. Both lungs. One blade contacted spine passing through braking off on far side. Broad head passed through other side sticking out 6 inches or so . When the doe collapsed  I could see the bolt on both sides. She raised up on her front  throwing herself on the bolt breaking it.

For all intent  and purposes  the broadhead performed  perfectly. I couldn't honestly believe my beloved muzzy broadhead could have done better. Would have to wonder if the deer would not have run a ways before dying leaving a marginal  blood trail. I don't think the 7/8 inch cutting radius  would have caught the spine.

The only failure  here was me not guaging proper hold for distance. The doe was 32 yds . Knowing she was passed my 30 yd marker I opted to use 40 yard hash mark. I held mid chest in height when I should have held lower on heart. I would have to say the rage broad heads wide cutting surface  saved the day.