Amazed at the amount of guys still spending money at dicks/ F&S

rob-c

Have had quite a few guys at work talk to me about buying hunting gear at said stores. Some had no idea about the 3 Gun lobbyist that they hired on their board and I Informed them of this , and then theres others that know and still spend money and 4 of them own AR,s. I just don’t get it. 

Heck i don’t even own a AR but dang the writing is on the wall guys. I guess some guys principals are pretty easily swayed by saving a buck. Sad part is there are other pro gun stores that you can save money at also. It just baffles me.. 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 9

There was talk when Cuomo passed the safe act about sportsman sticking together and not getting a license for one year to stick it to their pocket book. The vast majority of sportsman decided their hunting season was more important then the overall picture in NYS . From that day on I never considered the hunting community as a whole. That's the stance I'm taking with Dicks ,I personally don't give a rats ass about AR platforms and who sells them.

• Like 1

Just now, Papist said:

The issue is far greater than this. And it is not about hunting either. 

I understand completely what it's about . I'm positive the same guys that want to boycott dicks couldn't be bothered to pass on a year of hunting to stick it to NYS.

11 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I understand completely what it's about . I'm positive the same guys that want to boycott dicks couldn't be bothered to pass on a year of hunting to stick it to NYS.

I have a lifetime license, and when it was thrown around to boycot I sure would have if I could have.

No Dicks for me!!! 

I will not contribute one cent, to a business lobbying to take away any constitutional right, from anyone!

The only way to make a statement, with anything you disagree with in government, happens this Tuesday. 

Get Out And Vote!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, grampy said:

No Dicks for me!!! 

I will not contribute one cent, to a business lobbying to take away any constitutional right, from anyone!

The only way to make a statement, with anything you disagree with in government, happens this Tuesday. 

Get Out And Vote!

This.  I already hated the place.  Since the anti-gun lobbying, the refusal to sell rifles and shotguns to men and women old enough to die in battle for this country, the refusal to sell AR platform rifles or standard capacity magazines at all, the destruction of thousands of fine AR rifles (pointless and an obvious PR stunt)... all of this on top of already being a lousy place to do business and hurtful to the LGS's of the world... nope.  No more.  

As for protesting the SAFE Act by refusing to buy a hunting license..  that was a bad idea to begin with.  No one - NO ONE - would care.  In fact, it would probably backfire as the left would say it shows no one needs a hunting license, hunting should be banned or curtailed, etc.  Plus it would hurt us, with no recourse.  Simply boycotting a company that opposes everything we believe it does not hurt us - we can buy elsewhere.  

And I do, and will.  

• Like 8

I might be opening a can of worms with this, but I'm ignorant on the issue? I'm up in Rochester. Around here, there aren't a lot of options when it comes to buying firearms outside of either dick's or F&S. Don't get me wrong, I go local where i can. But in this case they're convenient, and the prices work. . I know that I can go in, ask questions and get a reasonably knowledgeable answer, and shop for any outdoor gear that I need. I've never had an item that I've either wanted or needed that they haven't had. Don't crucify me, but why are they bad?

Just read jmark's comment. Is there a thing downstate where you can't buy certain firearms? I know that up here I could get any rifle or shotgun i wanted (even AR platforms) in the store. And if it's not in stock, i can order it. So maybe there is an upstate / downstate divide in how the stores handle firearms?

Edited by Bolt action

1 hour ago, Bolt action said:

I might be opening a can of worms with this, but I'm ignorant on the issue? I'm up in Rochester. Around here, there aren't a lot of options when it comes to buying firearms outside of either dick's or F&S. Don't get me wrong, I go local where i can. But in this case they're convenient, and the prices work. . I know that I can go in, ask questions and get a reasonably knowledgeable answer, and shop for any outdoor gear that I need. I've never had an item that I've either wanted or needed that they haven't had. Don't crucify me, but why are they bad?

See above posts for why. I live outside of Corning so about a hour south from Rochester . I know of 7 privately  owned gun shops  the farthest a 1/2 hour from me.i bet if you looked it up you would be surprised how many you have near you.. 

Edited by rob-c

I would not buy a firearm from F&S/Dick's, or any boots, or clothing... but I do get my Antler Ice there as well as my tags.. Last gun I bought was a 700 30-06 from Cabela's... and my xbow is the Sniper 370 made by Crosman in Bloomfield, NY.. take my bow to Hunter's Landing or Traditions Archery for work...

• Like 1

The only purchase I have made this year was the redemption of $20 rewards which I used to buy wool socks. I figured if I didn't get some merchandise, it would be like donating $20 to their anti gun lobbyists. I used to spend about $1000/year there. Not any longer. But I have dropped about $1000 at Cabelas this year.

One more time for the newbies or the uninformed; They are taking the profits from sales to you to pay anti-gun lobbyists to work against us. It may not make a difference to some of you, but please stop funding the lobbyists to work against the rest of us.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jeremy K said:

There was talk when Cuomo passed the safe act about sportsman sticking together and not getting a license for one year to stick it to their pocket book.

NYS doesn't care. If they have a shortfall, they'll just jack up another tax or fee to cover it. The state will never feel a penny of it.

Dick's on the other hand is a business that answers to shareholders.

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

NYS doesn't care. If they have a shortfall, they'll just jack up another tax or fee to cover it. The state will never feel a penny of it.

Dick's on the other hand is a business that answers to shareholders.

NYS doesn't care about revenue, what NYS are you living in? 

59 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

NYS doesn't care about revenue, what NYS are you living in? 

I didn't say they don't care about revenue - I said they don't care if sportsmen boycott license sales. If they have a 50 million shortfall, they just jack up some other fee or tax to cover said shortfall. You know, kind of like when they give out all the Medicaid money and run short, they raise property taxes to cover it. How's your property taxes been over the last 10 years? Most of the last 10 years of increases in your town and county taxes don't stay in your town or county.

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 1

I don't and won't shop at Dick's and Field and Stream. Sad that sportsmen continue to stab themselves in the back.

I have a few predictions:   1) Cuomo will be re-elected because sportsmen are ignorant or don't care.

2) The republicans which have been protecting us from many gun control measures will lose control of the NYS senate in the next election. Because sportsmen won't bother to vote.

3) Come January we will see Safe Act 2 rammed down our throats- cause sportsmen didn't care. It will make the original safe act seam harmless in comparison.

4) I have never been a quitter, but come the Spring the house I grew up in will be for sale and I will be so outa NY!

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

I didn't say they don't care about revenue - I said they don't care if sportsmen boycott license sales. If they have a 50 million shortfall, they just jack up some other fee or tax to cover said shortfall. You know, kind of like when they give out all the Medicaid money and run short, they raise property taxes to cover it. How's your property taxes been over the last 10 years? Most of the last 10 years of increases in your town and county taxes don't stay in your town or county.

You're wrong about them not caring if sportsman boycott license sales. If there was a state wide boycott it would make WORLD news . Andy could kiss his hopes of being president good bye after that. Boycotting dicks is a very convenient way of "showing them who's boss" no skin off your teeth ,just go next door and buy it. Like i said before ,when it came time to actually do something to send a message ,everyone couldn't be bothered . Hell,they couldn't even be bothered to show up and vote against Coumo.

I'll bet a good share of those who vowed never to shop there again, have.  Myself included.  Shame on me... 

I personally know at least 10 people who are eating there words. They are correct in saying that in our area, there's just not another option for hunting or fishing gear( guns are the exception). Yes they could shop online, but like me I will not buy clothing of footwear online. I want to see, feel, try on my hunting clothes, boots.  Yes one could take the time to go to F&S and try the stuff, then order online. But what a PITA and a waste of time. I've definitely spent a lot less there then in the past, but it is convenient. 

I never thought Dick's was particularly cheap. Plus, anytime I went there, they never had what I wanted. Always seemed like cheesy, second rate crap to me. I always left empty handed. Since they started sucking up to the anti second amendment crowd, I don't even bother going there to look for something I know they won't have.

• Like 2