Obsessing over scent right now

fadetoblack188

So it’s been a while since I have washed my camo because I always worry about the clothes smelling like the machine or dryer. 

Today I decided maybe the early season sweat is worse. 

Washed a load of towels on hot with the hunting detergent to try and clean the machine. Now I put my clothes in with the hunting detergent.  Then I will bring it right outside to air dry. 

But my clothing says to put in the dry to activate carbon.  My dryer stinks like dryer sheets.  If I put the clothes in they will just come out smelling like dryer sheets!!?

what does everyone else do. I am making myself crazy. 

Put in a couple scent free dryer sheets for 15 minutes. Then dry your hunting stuff.  I don't get too carried away with all this scent stuff. No matter what we do, deer will still smell us. I just pay closer attention to the wind.  

But I do what I can to somewhat reduce my scent. Figure every little bit helps?

5 hours ago, land 1 said:

i play the wing shot many of a deer with a cig in my mouth if they arn't in your wind they cant smell you, some even down wind

I make no claims whatsoever to my hunting capabilities, being a pretty young hunter, but for all the stuff I have read about scent I increasingly find it hard to reconcile with what I see in the field. The number of deer I've seen walk down wind of me clearly 100% oblivious to my existence, within bow-range--and I do very little for scent control--continues to surprise me.

I do wash my hunting clothes (not enough) with scent-free wash. Frankly I don't do much else.

I make no claims whatsoever to my hunting capabilities, being a pretty young hunter, but for all the stuff I have read about scent I increasingly find it hard to reconcile with what I see in the field. The number of deer I've seen walk down wind of me clearly 100% oblivious to my existence, within bow-range--and I do very little for scent control--continues to surprise me.

I do wash my hunting clothes (not enough) with scent-free wash. Frankly I don't do much else.

They don’t think you’re dangerous, you need to make an example of one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

If you want to hunt big, mature whitetails, you need to have every advantage. Young deer will walk downwind of you, yes. Mature bucks, not so much. Maybe during the peak of the rut but othwise very rarely. Big bucks don’t get that way by being careless. 

Killing young deer is not anywhere near the challenge that killing mature deer is. Make your choices on every aspect of the hunt but if you look at the hunters that consistently take large, mature bucks and learn from them you may just find yourself elevating your hunt to that level. Nothing wrong with hunting for meat but it’s a different strategy when you hunt the big boys.