advise need with hunter harassment

BBDEric

so me and my brother bought 43 acres. we close on december 5th. we do have written permission to hunt there untill we close. no one else has permison or leases property. we came out tonight and our trucks were covered in mud. with posted signs on them. with a note staying i am .... i lease this property stay off and never come back. the dec said cant do anything till you own it. i call bs. sunday night no one wanted to come out. we took pics of truck and have the notes and the signs. how do we defuse this. i really want to hunt it seeing we have permission but i dont see the old owners pressing charges with closing soon. ugh i know when we buy it we gate it and post it. i just dont want to get knifed in the woods going in or out if this guys is that crazy.  he lives down the road and is a known trouble maker i am finding out. been kicked of everyones land.

thanks part venting and asisstance.

20181104_181853.jpg

20181104_181459.jpg

Edited by BBDEric

15 minutes ago, BBDEric said:

called police said if there was no damage then they wont come out. have a recorded call they could care less.

Looks like paint damage to me now that you posted pics. Sometimes one needs to be insistent or ask for a supervisor.

Anyway, good luck. 

• Like 4

Lay in the bed of your truck til he shows up and then drop the tailgate and get some pictures of him/her or set a trail cam up when you  hunt. A picture is worth a thousand words but I would want to personally  take the pictures so I know who I am dealing with.

Once he sees you aren't playing games he may back off.

• Like 3

As you've found out only the DEC deals with hunter harassment cases, not local, county or state LEOs. JMO, you're SOL until the official signing. After that I'd make a strong statement with posted signs along any roadside or other access points. Might even send cert/reg letters to neighbors that you are new owner and will not tolerate trespassing w/o written permission from you. Might add a comment about any old permissions or lease agreements with former land owners are no longer valid. Oh yeah, start with an introduction, contact info & a lot of niceties about being a good neighbor, blah, blah..before getting into the "no trespassing" statements! Issues with neighbors is a huge ongoing headache for hunting property owners if not dealt with properly in a sequence starting with friendliness to blatantly posting signs or a locked gate to LEO involvement to outright confrontations.

Can't blame the current land owner for not wanting to get into the middle of this issue with less than a month until ownership Xfer. Or maybe there's a hidden back-story about the relationship of current land owner and crazy down the road that's not being divulged to you!??!

• Like 3

Form some past knowledge I have   swing down to your local PD or whoever state sheriffs etc,  and ask them about this section of law PL145.25 Reckless endangerment of property not regularly used as  a charge but seems to fit its a very hard to charge withe the dollar amount and the wording within it and u  Still have to prove who the suspect is but maybe it will at least get them to talk with possible suspect "crazy neighbor" and get him to back off and advise him that no he dosnt have permission to be on property. I would do everything to nip this in the bu before real damage is done 

3 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

As you've found out only the DEC deals with hunter harassment cases, not local, county or state LEOs. JMO, you're SOL until the official signing. After that I'd make a strong statement with posted signs along any roadside or other access points. Might even send cert/reg letters to neighbors that you are new owner and will not tolerate trespassing w/o written permission from you. Might add a comment about any old permissions or lease agreements with former land owners are no longer valid. Oh yeah, start with an introduction, contact info & a lot of niceties about being a good neighbor, blah, blah..before getting into the "no trespassing" statements! Issues with neighbors is a huge ongoing headache for hunting property owners if not dealt with properly in a sequence starting with friendliness to blatantly posting signs or a locked gate to LEO involvement to outright confrontations.

Can't blame the current land owner for not wanting to get into the middle of this issue with less than a month until ownership Xfer. Or maybe there's a hidden back-story about the relationship of current land owner and crazy down the road that's not being divulged to you!??!

Yea I was thinking the same thing  the  family of crazys that live down the street probably is the reason the guy sold the land in the first place . 

• Like 1

Myself...He would find out that i may just be a tad bit further over the ' Crazy' line then he is! 

By showing him your posts from this forum ?!?
Come on man...that’s funny- don’t get twisted - I’m just busting balls as I wish I was hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

might want to call the state troopers/sherriffs instead of DEC on this one.  More of a menacing issue than a DEC issue.  That sucks, hate people. Dont try to be the tough guy and do something on your own thats only gonna get you in trouble and harder to state your case if something else happens.  Keep the police informed and post the piss out of it once you own it.  Check any treestand straps before you climb in too.  Be safe - these idiots arent worth getting into something bad over- but dont back down either, just let the police do their job.  Dont be surprised if they know these jokers already.  good luck. 

• Like 2

I believe a crime was committed. Am I allowed to get a bucket of mud and pour it all over somebody's car if it's sitting on the street? Is this not intimidation? Is there no cost involved to you in recovering your vehicle to prior state (e.g. car wash)?

The advice about putting out trail cams next time is good. Also the one about writing some locals some letters introducing yourself, etc.

3 things I would do 1: I would ask the land owner seeing your closing on the land soon if you can Post the land with your name and phone number.

2: you said the person who did this lives down the road. I would find the guy phone number and give him a call telling him you are buying the land and you are not letting anyone on the property. If you can't find his phone number send a letter and also state the police and the DEC have been notified.

3: I would put up a good trail camera to watch your car put it in video mode there is audio. Good luck

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

so me and my brother bought 43 acres. we close on december 5th. we do have written permission to hunt there untill we close. no one else has permison or leases property. we came out tonight and our trucks were covered in mud. with posted signs on them. with a note staying i am .... i lease this property stay off and never come back. the dec said cant do anything till you own it. i call bs. sunday night no one wanted to come out. we took pics of truck and have the notes and the signs. how do we defuse this. i really want to hunt it seeing we have permission but i dont see the old owners pressing charges with closing soon. ugh i know when we buy it we gate it and post it. i just dont want to get knifed in the woods going in or out if this guys is that crazy.  he lives down the road and is a known trouble maker i am finding out. been kicked of everyones land.

thanks part venting and asisstance.
20181104_181853.thumb.jpg.d5b78ec4d6d909af0f52a5a304b95a9b.jpg
20181104_181459.thumb.jpg.dd9aa158a9f333e64f078d5e5fcc743f.jpg
Call the dec and tell them you found bait. They will come running

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 2