advise need with hunter harassment

BBDEric

OK - I have dealt with this kind of thing when I bought my land.  I was hearing that many people had hunted my parcel prior to my purchasing.  I bought stencils and spray painted this on a 4'X6' plywood. My son called it "the Asshole Sign" but it worked. 

NEW LANDOWNER

All PRIOR HUNTING

PERMISSION IS

NO LONGER VALID.  

I also bought aluminum posted signs with my name and phone number on them from Voss's signs in Syracuse (liverpool)

• Like 1

A buddy of mine got permission to hunt a new property across the road from his house this season.   I helped him put up a couple of stands there.  2 weeks later one of them was stolen.  So he took the other one down.

Ended up getting permission to hunt another spot behind his house, but apparently someone else is also hunting that other land. 

He also had someone put up balloons in a field by the stand he took down.  (Posted about this earlier)

He just said enough was enough and permission or not is done with that spot.

When my buddy bought his land the first time he pulled in to scout it a guy pulled up and said “just so you know, I hunt here!”. My friend said I’m sorry but I just bought this and you can no longer hunt it. The guy got all pissed off and said I’ve hunted here for years and will continue to do so. He never showed up though lol. The balls on some people

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The_Field_Ager said:

It's more than that. These kinds of people are sociopaths. The condition is on the rise in society 

Guy I know ,hunted a piece Near his home for years and years . It was sold and new owners posted it, one day while he was hunting it he ran into new owners . They said “ sorry we own  it now and you can’t hunt it .”

He told them flat out that he was going to still Hunt it . They said , “ well then We’ll have to call the DEC .”

He told them “ don’t do that that’s how hunting accidents happen . “

I don’t know whatever became of it . I’ve known a number of cops,  combat veterans,  guys who’ve severed time , a number of guys who’ve been shot ,all manor of tough guys, be he scared me the most .

Years ago someone bought a small piece of property adjacent to our farm.  Shorty after that our posted signs were torn down and he put up posted signs a good 30 yards onto our land so he could sit on our field, I assume.  I was angry and called the County Sheriff, who came right down.  I showed him the property survey and he confirmed the boundary on his computer.  Then he looked up the new owner.  He asked me not to speak with the fellow, said that "He is known to us" and to avoid any conflict.  He said he would deal with this person, and he did as far as I know.  So I learned not to get into arguments with people I don't know that are possibly carrying guns.  The LE are the pros, they have been very helpful to us.       jperch

• Like 2

Guy I know ,hunted a piece Near his home for years and years . It was sold and new owners posted it, one day while he was hunting it he ran into new owners . They said “ sorry we own  it now and you can’t hunt it .”
He told them flat out that he was going to still Hunt it . They said , “ well then We’ll have to call the DEC .”
He told them “ don’t do that that’s how hunting accidents happen . “
I don’t know whatever became of it . I’ve known a number of cops,  combat veterans,  guys who’ve severed time , a number of guys who’ve been shot ,all manor of tough guys, be he scared me the most .

Man if the owner could prove that, the DEC would be the least of his worries. Death threats are no joke.

I love deer hunting too, but geez

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 7 months later...

Property update. We have gates up and posted signs. Also this started as a 43 acre piece. We were able to purchase two additional attaching properties.  The first 23 acres and the second 18 acres. So we now have 83 acres. We have trimmed apple trees, put in a new food plot and have 6 stands set. Really looking forward to the fall!!! We also leased 57 acres that attached to us. Going be a great fall!!!!

20190630_091454.jpg

20190630_091053.jpg

Edited by BBDEric
  • Like 9

35 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Close the gate even when you're there ,don't let the neighbors pattern you ,save that for the deer LOL.

Locals they know ,tire tracks or not.. lot.of $ for nothing really  same problem with chain across driveway

different people have had gates here that have gotten plowed over. still i like the idea of them. it keeps more people than not honest. also there's nothing like having people open them up, only to find out we're up there. talk about embarrassed.  also tresspassing citations are hard to stick but if they pass through a closed gate and likely cause property damage then it's easier, plus you make sure the judge clearly knows you want restitution for replacement. often that number is inflated. best of luck with the property and hunting this fall.

• Like 2

different people have had gates here that have gotten plowed over. still i like the idea of them. it keeps more people than not honest. also there's nothing like having people open them up, only to find out we're up there. talk about embarrassed.  also tresspassing citations are hard to stick but if they pass through a closed gate and likely cause property damage then it's easier, plus you make sure the judge clearly knows you want restitution for replacement. often that number is inflated. best of luck with the property and hunting this fall.
Should setup a secret security cam to watch over the area

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

Wanted to resurrect this post. It was a great year at the new property. Very glad we worked threw the trespassing and the threats. Put up 200 posted signs. Spoke with all the neighbors. Thanks to all the members you gave advise on this last year. I think we know why everyone was upset it got bought. 

20191116_144750.jpg

20191106_114802.jpg

• Like 16